What's new

Everwood on DVD September 7th (1 Viewer)

Beau

Supporting Actor
From TVShowsOnDVD:

After a 3-month wait since we were first told to expect it, Everwood - The Complete 1st Season was announced this evening by Warner Home Video. This set contains 6 DVDs in a "Wyncase"-style packaging (such as Smallville uses, among others). The release date is Sept. 7th, while the price is $59.98 SRP for 1022 minutes containing the 23 episodes from the first season.

The aspect ratio used is the orginal 1.33:1 format, and the soundtrack is English Stereo. Subtitles in English, French, and Spanish are also on-board. Bonus material is also packed in:

Audio Commentary on 4 episodes with the show's creators, cast and crew, including Treat Williams and Gregory Smith:
"Pilot"
"The Unveiling"
"Episode 20" (yep, that's the name of the episode! - DAVE)
"Home"
Deleted Scenes: "Everwood Casualties"
Featurette : "In Search of Everwood" - a behind-the-scenes featurette about the making of the show.
Gag Reel

Covert Art:

Seems great to me. Didn't really start constantly watching this show until the last couple episodes from the first season, though caught enough important episodes to understand everything, but still didn't catch all the first season episodes. Will gladly pick this up if I got the money. I better start saving.

Daniel`D

Stunt Coordinator
Well I love the show but I didn't start watching the show before this season, so this is a must buy for me.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member

No sale!!!!

CSI all over again, another show I would love to own in its OAR. Otherwise, I'm spending my money elsewhere. Sorry WB.

Eric_B_C

Stunt Coordinator
I don't recall it being letterboxed in season 1 when I saw it on TV. I THINK season 2 is though. (Missed a few.)

Brooke

Stunt Coordinator
My husband works for the network that bought the series here in Australia and they have all episodes in high def widescreen with dolby digital 5.1 audio. I adore this show but don't know that I'd be able to watch it in 4x3.

Any chance that this is just a printing error or a still to be confirmed issue? A show that offers such beautiful scenery and they don't release it in widescreen? Doesn't make sense. What am I saying? This is Warner Bros... Time to lift your game WB!

MattGSmith

Stunt Coordinator
I'll be on this dvd!!! The show tapes all over Utah. They film the school scenes at Park City High. I was an extra in "Miracle of Everwood." What a fun/exciting day that was let me tell you. The show has some decent catering. hehe Nice way to earn $75, none the less!
;) M

Deb Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
Everwood isn't broadcast on the WB in widescreen. It's full frame. I don't remember any episodes broadcast widescreen, and I've been watching the show from the beginning - the pilot episode was another of the WB running-overtime shows, so if you didn't catch the pilot first-run, you missed a few minutes.

I've been a far of this show since it debuted. This is a must buy for me.

Jeff Harris

Agent
This is definitely a must buy for me as well. I'm a little disappointed with the cover art, though. I wish they'd managed to find a use for the billboard that advertised the show in the first season, with Vivien Cardone and Treat Williams on one side, and Gregory Smith turned away from them on the other. Tagline was "It's somewhere between Father and Son."

Ah well. September 7th will be an expensive day, with Everwood and Alias.

Jeff

Martin_C

Stunt Coordinator
I was _so_ excited about this release up until the note about the aspect ratio. I am used to watching this show in Widescreen since day one and with the visually pleasing scenery, I don't think I want to or am able to enjoy it as much in 4:3. I guess I'd rather stick with my own Lower Quality but at least Widescreen copies.

Here's hoping this was just an error. If it's in Widescreen, which is the OAR to me, I will most definetly buy this set in a heartbeat. 4:3 = No Sale!

(On a side note: Why did WB release West Wing s2 in Widescreen, when it was broadcasted in 4:3 everywhere? But Everwood, which actually was broadcasted in HDTV/Widescreen where available, get's the 4:3 treatment. This doesn't make sense.)

The extras sure do sound great, though.

Valerie G.

Stunt Coordinator
As I remember, (and I remember this quite well), Everwood was broadcast in widescreen for the first season, but then starting with Season 2, they broadcasted it in fullscreen. I remember being a bit dissapointed at the beginning of this last season, because they changed it from widescreen to fullscreen.

So it seems to me that fullscreen is not the original aspect ratio, as I clearly remember watching the first season in widescreen.

Too bad WB doesn't quit with the fullscreen stuff and release more stuff in widescreen. I was a bit dissapointed that Gilmore Girls was released in fullscreen, but I bought it never-the-less! :)

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
On the standard channel, Everwood has always been broadcast 1.33 here, but it has been a High-Def show since day one, and has been broadcast widescreen in High-Def, so widescreen seems to be the OAR. I can't imagine, in this day and age, that when a show's producers know they are brodcasting widescreen high-def that they would compose for 1.33 and compromise the high-def broadcast.

Eric_B_C

Stunt Coordinator
Trivia: Pilot for Everwood was shot in Calgary, then moved to the US for the rest. The temperature jump from Calgary to the US was 100 degrees (higher obviously) much to the casts chagrin:)

I didn't know this was shot wide. Why would the WB show it fullscreen when they have no problem showing Angel letterboxed? I wonder if this is maybe the idiotic "family friendly" thing again.

Gaby:)

Grip
From what I saw of season 1 (and I've seen all episodes -- I run Everwood Scripts & Transcripts), only two episodes were widescreen. Those were Pilot (episode 1) and Home (episode 23). So I don't see why people are complaining about all episodes being one way or the other.

Gaby:)

Brooke

Stunt Coordinator

I don't know how they were shown in the US but I can say for absolute certainty that every episode from Season One and Season Two was shot in high definition widescreen. That's how our network bought them. I've seen them all in that format and the picture is absolutely beautiful.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
I spoke with someone at Warner Bros today and she said that the pilot and season finale will be in widescreen, the other episodes will be 4x3. She checked with the Everwood office and this is how they are supposed to be.

Gord

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member

They are all WS HDTV masters just like Without a Trace Season 1. Warner Bros can't get the AR right on anything these days. From zooming 4:3 on the West Wing to dumping HDTV for 4:3. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: No Sale.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
That's that, then...Warner is putting these out on DVD the way the show's production office wants them to be seen. That's good enough for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.