What's new

Euphoria (HBO) (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I will also resubscribe just for Euphoria whenever it resumes.

Nothing has been announced yet. However, we know Zendaya will be needed to film Spider-Man 3 this summer, so they'll have to work around her availability. I'm pretty sure that Spider-Man is in first position for her because she signed up with Sony and Marvel before Euphoria came along.
HBO included "Euphoria New Season" in its 2020 sizzle reel. In order to come out by the end of the year, I'd imagine the second season would need to be done filming before the summer.

Big Little Lies (which aired its second season in front of Euphoria) is getting its Blu-ray release next week via Warner Archive, which makes me wonder when Euphoria will end up on disc. Big Little Lies does not have an additional season to promote, but it's possible Euphoria is being held back to drop close to the premiere date of season 2. I have never really understood this, though, because putting out the home release farther in advance would give more people time to find the show before the new episodes begin.
I'm not sure that this will get a physical media release. "Big Little Lies" is distributed by Warner Bros. Television, while "Euphoria" is an A24 show. Lionsgate distributes A24's films on DVD and Blu-Ray in North America, but none of A24's television shows have had a physical media release.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Zendaya won Best Actress for the first season of "Euphoria". I didn't watch the broadcast, but this was the one I was both rooting for most and least expected. The best performance I saw on television or film last year.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'm really bummed that The Good Place got blanked out and ends its entire extraordinary run without a single Emmy.

However, this at least is wonderful.

Here is her speech:

Someone actually brings her the Emmy to hold where she was filming remotely. Did they have people ready to hand off Emmys wherever the winners happened to be or what?

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
I'm really bummed that The Good Place got blanked out and ends its entire extraordinary run without a single Emmy.

Yeah, I like Schitt's Creek (still working my through it), but come on... they didn't need to win all the comedy awards. The Good Place was robbed, IMO.

Someone actually brings her the Emmy to hold where she was filming remotely. Did they have people ready to hand off Emmys wherever the winners happened to be or what?

Kimmel demoed the boxes that they'd delivered to all (or at least most?) of the nominees. Only the winner's box contained an actual Emmy statue and they were designed to be opened remotely. Clever way to do it.

Last edited:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
HBO Press Release:
HBO's EUPHORIA Returns With Two
Special Episodes; The First Debuts
December 6

HBO
LOS ANGELES, October 19, 2020 -- The Emmy® winning HBO drama series EUPHORIA will return with
two special episodes, with the first debuting SUNDAY, DECEMBER 6 at 9:00 p.m. ET/PT. The episode
will air on HBO and be available to stream on HBO Max.
In the aftermath of being left by Jules at the train station and relapsing, the first special episode follows
Rue (played by Emmy®-winner Zendaya) as she celebrates Christmas. Written and directed by series
creator Sam Levinson, the episode, titled "Trouble Don't Last Always,” also stars Colman Domingo, who
appeared in season one. The title and date of the second episode are forthcoming. Both special episodes
were produced under COVID-19 guidelines.
EUPHORIA received three Primetime Emmy® Awards this year, including Outstanding Lead Actress In A
Drama Series (Zendaya), Outstanding Contemporary Makeup (Non-Prosthetic) and Outstanding Original
Music and Lyrics.
EUPHORIA is created and written by Sam Levinson, who also serves as executive producer; executive
producers Ravi Nandan, Kevin Turen, Drake, Future the Prince, Hadas Mozes Lichtenstein, Ron Leshem,
Daphna Levin, Tmira Yardeni, Mirit Toovi, Yoram Mokady and Gary Lennon; Will Greenfield serves as a co-
executive producer. Produced in partnership with A24 and based on the Israeli series of the same name,
which was created by Ron Leshem and Daphna Levin, from HOT.
Follow Euphoria on social and use #Euphoria to join the conversation:
Instagram: @euphoria
Twitter: @euphoriahb

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
This is good news.

Unfortunately, I hardly remember specifics about season 1 since I binged it over a few days when it was new. I wish they would release a season set, but I guess I'll have to stream it again before the new specials arrive.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I was immensely disappointed in tonight's episode and something tells me that perhaps it's not the right thing to say.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I was immensely disappointed in tonight's episode and something tells me that perhaps it's not the right thing to say.
I really enjoyed it; it's the perfect kind of thing to do outside of a season, since it completely throws out the show's usual structure and format. Except for the flashback (or daydream?) at the beginning, it was basically a two-hander with one location: Ali trying to guide Rue toward seeing the necessity and value of getting clean, and Rue finally opening up to someone about the thoughts and feelings she normally only shares via the narration to the audience.

Part of that is that I find Colman Domingo to be an endlessly fascinating individual, so seeing him just shoot the shit for an hour is very engaging to me. But I was also struck by how Zendaya just brought it with a camera facing her from across the diner table for an hour, with no fancy cinematic tricks or pacing to hide any sins.

Were you expecting something more like a regular episode? Given that these specials were conceived rather late in the game, I didn't expect a lot of forward momentum from them, since I would imagine that they're sticking with their original plan for the season premiere.

There's also the limitations inherent in COVID-safe filming practices. The days of fair scenes with lots of extras and complex cinematography that requires lots of crew to pull off are done and gone for the near future.

The second special, centered around Jules, premieres January 25th:
Euphoria Part II: Jules Poster

Part II was co-written by Hunter Schafer.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Yeah, I was expecting a normal episode -- not a 50-minute therapy session in a diner.

So, if you are making the argument that not making this a regular episode was due to the pandemic restrictions, then it doesn't hold a lot of promise for the rest of the season.

However, something tells me this episode was a "one off" and that the series will return to its regular structure moving forward...hopefuly.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
So, if you are making the argument that not making this a regular episode was due to the pandemic restrictions, then it doesn't hold a lot of promise for the rest of the season.

However, something tells me this episode was a "one off" and that the series will return to its regular structure moving forward...hopefuly.
I definitely don't think this will be indictive of what to expect from the second season -- nor the Jules-centric one off dropping next month -- but I do think the show will be a bit more limited due to COVID than what we got in the first season -- especially when it comes to physical intimacy.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
This second special episode has a parallel interrogatory structure to it; whereas Rue's special episode was a two-hander with her NA sponsor, this special episode was a two-hander between Jules and her new therapist. In both cases, the dynamic is with a healthy adult influence who is detached from all of the shit going on in their lives.

I really appreciated that Jules's therapist was competent, and able to provide a real service for Jules in terms of focusing and examining her thoughts and feelings. I feel like a lot of times, psychiatrists and psychologists are presented in movies and television as quacks who don't know what the hell they're doing. But mental health is a process, and it's really good to see Jules engaging with that process. Gender dysphoria, in particular, seems like a really tricky thing: if you don't feel comfortable with the gender you were assigned at birth, the obvious solution seems to be to transition to the other gender society presents to you as an option. But what happens if you complete that transition, and those feelings of discomfort and unease don't go away? That's something that Jules is grappling with now.

The other big appeal with this episode is getting to reexamine the events of the first season from Jules's perspective. The entire first season was told from Rue's perspective, and Rue isn't exactly the most reliable of narrators. While we did get cutaways to scenes centered around Jules without Rue, they were only the things that Jules had told Rue about and that Rue had deemed as important.

Now some of the moments and behaviors that seemed inexplicable during the course of the first season make a lot more sense with the additional context that Jules provided in this hour. The fact that she is the child of an addict, and has been burdened with second-guessing every moment in her relationship with her mother in the context of her mother's sobriety explains a lot about her unease with her role in Rue's sobriety.

Whereas Rue is a sort of avatar for series creator Sam Levinson, and very very different from who Zendaya is in real life, there is quite a bit of Hunter Schafer in Jules. Given that, it makes sense that she would co-write this episode with Levinson. There's also the fact that Jules is 17 while Schafer is 21, at a period in life where four years is an eternity. She knows where she is now, so she can sort of see where Jules is headed.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
That looks good.

I need to rewatch Season 1 as it has been so long since that aired that I forgot where it left off, and I forgot about the two specials.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks