escape from new york

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by stephen^wilson, Jun 16, 2002.

1. stephen^wilson

stephen^wilson Stunt Coordinator

does anyone know if mgm are still going to release a special edition of escape from new york and is it true that they plan to alter the film to change airforce one crashing?

2. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese

3. Chris M

Chris M Second Unit

There is strong rumour that they're making an SE, but no solid info about it.

Chris.

4. Marty Lockstead

Marty Lockstead Second Unit

I too am eagerly anticiapting this release when ever MGM gets around to it. A commentary track does already exist between Carpenter & Russell as far as I know. If I recall they even reffered to that fact during the Big Trouble in Little China commentary. Speaking of Carpenter films, I wonder when THEY LIVE or THE FOG will get a region 1 release.

5. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

6. Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger Screenwriter

I've found They Live floating around my local b&m every once in a while. I was lucky enough to pick one up before they became scarce. You might try surfing some of the aisles at your video store of choice, there may be a copy or two hidden away in there.

7. DennisTuck

DennisTuck Extra

At the major DVD conference at the end of last year (sorry, forget the name), it was announced that MGM would have both the Special Edition of the Fog and Escape from New York in the second half of 2002. With the Fog now scheduled for August 27th, I'm betting that the Escape announcement won't be far away. By the way, I contacted MGM when that altering rumor hit and got an official response that they have no plans to alter it in any way.
    DT

8. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Producer

What happened to the reports that MGM was selling their library to Warners -- false I hope?

Ted

9. Marty Lockstead

Marty Lockstead Second Unit

Thanks for the heads-up guys! I had no idea THE FOG had already been announced and was coming out so soon. I haven't seen it for a long time and it was only a pan & scam vhs tape from the rental store. I'm assuming that the image dvd of THEY LIVE was problably awful looking, and that Universal will do an all new 16:9 transfer along with the commentary between Carpenter & Roddy Piper that I heard already exists. Now if Image can just hurry up and loose their rights to ASSAULT ON PRECINCT 13 so Universal can clean that one up as well, I'll be a happy man![​IMG]

10. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell
    Assault isn't under license from Universal, AFAIK.
    DJ

11. Malcolm Cleugh

Malcolm Cleugh Second Unit

In the UK Universal do have the rights to Assault.
    However they have managed to muck it up as they created an anamorphic master but cropped the film from 2.35 to 1.77.
    Also came with no extras.
    From reviews I have seen this was cropped rather than expanding the matte.

12. Anthony Thorne

Anthony Thorne Supporting Actor

The STARMAN commentary now appears on the recent UK DVD as well.

13. Jim Bivins

Jim Bivins Stunt Coordinator

Any word on the Escape From NY special edition being produced? Were they able to aquire the Carpenter/Russell commentary?

I hope this one makes it this year, the previous DVD was a disapointment. Thankfully I still have the LD from several years ago!

Later
    Jim

14. stephen^wilson

stephen^wilson Stunt Coordinator

I have heard that They Live is coming out on dvd in the U.K and that it will feature the carpenter commentary.

15. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

Gosh, I HOPE they make a NEW transfer. The old 1 has GOT to be 1 of the softest ones I have EVER seen! Practically looks out of focus!
    Honestly, I have to put the dreaded SVM up to 3 (FULL) just to get ANY sense of (artificial) detail on my Mits Diamond. DVDFile also noted the surprising softness on this disc and was surprised!
    [​IMG] D

16. KimK

KimK Stunt Coordinator

Yep They Live is coming out here in Europe soon, here a text snippet from a UK DVD site:
    Many thanks to Timo Fritza who writes from Germany concerning They Live and Prince of Darkness. Apparently both are available now, but the U.K editions should be similar when they are released through Momentum. Timo says:
    Both feature commentaries with John Carpenter (and Roddie Piper on They Live), Trailer and a short making of They Live. Both have a good picture quality in anamorphic widescreen.
    The Starman commentary with Carpenter and Bridges is one of the best i've heard yet.