What's new

Eric Clapton Tour (1 Viewer)

jeff peterson

Supporting Actor
My wife gave me tickets to see him this Wednesday. I'm also psyched to see Robert Randolph who's opening. Anyone seen him want to give me a quick review of what to expect?

jeff peterson

Supporting Actor
My wife gave me tickets to see him this Wednesday. I'm also psyched to see Robert Randolph who's opening. Anyone seen him want to give me a quick review of what to expect?

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
I saw him twice some ten years ago... once playing with Mark Knoffler. Great shows... but too short, especially when I saw him solo. I hear that is par for the course for his concerts.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
I saw him twice some ten years ago... once playing with Mark Knoffler. Great shows... but too short, especially when I saw him solo. I hear that is par for the course for his concerts.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
I would expect one hell of a show, wih an emphasis on quality over quantity. It felt like he just didn't play that many tunes, but what he did play was unreal. Oh and hope he plays "I Shot The Sheriff". I'm not a particularly big fan of the song, but it was easily the best song of the night with the most
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
-ing solo I've heard live, EVER! The acoustic Robert Johnson set in the middle of the show was pretty cool as well.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
I would expect one hell of a show, wih an emphasis on quality over quantity. It felt like he just didn't play that many tunes, but what he did play was unreal. Oh and hope he plays "I Shot The Sheriff". I'm not a particularly big fan of the song, but it was easily the best song of the night with the most
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
-ing solo I've heard live, EVER! The acoustic Robert Johnson set in the middle of the show was pretty cool as well.

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
I heard an interesting story about this tour the other day on the radio in Dallas. Something about how part of the proceeds from this tour go to help fight drug abuse. A guy took his young son to the tour and for an encore Clapton played "Cocaine." I thought that was rather interesting. Sorry if I'm not accurate in my facts, since I just heard this from a caller.

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
I heard an interesting story about this tour the other day on the radio in Dallas. Something about how part of the proceeds from this tour go to help fight drug abuse. A guy took his young son to the tour and for an encore Clapton played "Cocaine." I thought that was rather interesting. Sorry if I'm not accurate in my facts, since I just heard this from a caller.

Craig

Second Unit
I caught the 6/18 show in Atlanta and was very impressed. I had never seen Clapton live, and to be honest, had not been overly impressed by most of his music that came after the Derek & The Dominos period in the early 70s.

I thought he put a lot of energy into the show. The traditional blues tunes were done with real passion, and the older, more familar tunes such as 'Layla', 'I Shot The Sheriff', etc really rocked.

Just wondering what other people may have thought?

LewB

Screenwriter
I have been a long time Clapton fan and had never seen him perform until I went to the 6/30 show at Madison Square Garden in NYC.

Robert Randolph rocked ! I now own the 2 CDs of his that I could find.
As for EC, he was on stage for 2 hours and put on one hell of a show. Lots of his classics with a set of the Robert Johnson stuff in the middle. I am still convinced that 'Clapton is God' Here's the play list. It says that Billy Preston did not appear due to illness. Anyone know if he's OK ? Sure would have loved to hear him play the organ.

Craig

Second Unit
Lew,

Billy Preston was having some kidney problems I believe. He was reportedly upset about not being able to make Ray Charles' funeral, in addition to missing the Clapton shows. The article didn't mention when he might be able to rejoin Clapton.

The setlist for the show you saw was the same as the show here in Atlanta, except 'Sweet Home Chicago' was the final song of the encore. Jimmy Vaughn opened for Clapton, then came out and played on 'Sweet Home Chicago'. Doyle Bramhall II, who's the other guitarist onstage with Clapton, had played with Vaughn in The Fabulous Thunderbirds and they had a blast jamming together. The song ended up being about 10 minutes long and Clapton, Vaughn and Bramhall just cut lose and let it all hang out. Some mighty impressive guitar work on display that night.

Clapton is definitely NOT just putting on an oldies show. Anyone even slightly interested in rock needs to go and see EC while he's still on touring and on top of his game. He's talked about retiring from the road in the past few years, so who knows how much longer it'll before he hangs it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks