What's new

Ep i dvd review online!!! (1 Viewer)

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Tom,
Thats what I thought, but the reviewer stated it's back in the movie. We'll see...
Dan (UK)

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
the reviewer doesn't seem to mention the 5 mini-documentaries on various aspects of the prodution (casting ; costumes ; effects; fights ; music
wink.gif

I am a bit dubious as to whether this is a genuine review

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
That's the most interesting thing about this review--that the Coruscant Air Taxi scene has been edited back in. Totally news to me. I would figure that if they're going to take the time to finish the deleted scenes, they would put all of them back into the movie, not just one scene.
Personally, while I'm sure the Air Taxi ride scene will be really cool, I will be disappointed if it's edited back in (unless it's done by seamless branching). I just want to be able to see the original cut, and to be able to watch the deleted scenes separately.
Besides, we're going to have plenty of fast-moving chase scenes through the skies of Coruscant at night in Attack of the Clones. . .
wink.gif

-mwb-
(The less-than-stellar disc reviews aren't surprising. It's impossible for Lucasland to release anything that will make all of us die-hard fanboys happy anymore. . .)
------------------
Obi-Wan (to Anakin):
Why do I think you're going to be the death of me?
Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
May 22, 2002

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Simon,
I think it was said above that the general feeling is that it was a rushed review so they could perhaps get it online and boast about it being the first. Who knows, its possible with such a high profile release, reviews this early require the discs to be returned. I dunno, it's detailed in some aspects, lacking in others...
quote: I would figure that if they're going to take the time to finish the deleted scenes, they would put all of them back into the movie, not just one scene.[/quote]
I dunno, again, they were all cut for a reason, so putting them all back would be rather pointless. Little is known about the Taxi scene, it exists in some form in one of the TPM videogames, and there's old production design artwork of this scene. If it is indeed back, its for perhaps one of the following reasons:
1) Seeing it complete with visual effects, Lucas liked it so much he wanted it back in the movie
2) Its possibly a scene he always wanted in the movie, but didn't have the time to finish until now, did so, and bob's your uncle, it's back in the movie.
3) Its little more then a scene that neither adds or subtracts to the movie, but is perhaps an a little incentive to make those considering buying the DVD get it because its a cut of the movie "with a never before seen restored footage." Makes a nice selling point.
For what it's worth, Force.net has this little nugget about the deleted scene in their listings of cut scenes, dialogue and shots:
"Lastly, 'The Making of The Phantom Menace' book has a few things that point to a scene that was shot on the first day, but not used in the film. There is one page that has the call sheet for the first day, saying which people would be on set and which scene would be shot. The scenes that they shot included a scene where the crew has just arrived on Coruscant and is on the landing platform. It is assumed it would be after the Qui-Gon's line to Vallorum saying that he needed to talk to the Council. Anyway, it's a scene where they all load onto a Coruscant Taxi. More detail pointing to this lost scene can be found in the section with all the production art, where it shows a black and white drawing of a Taxi pulled up to the side of a platform and people stepping into it."
Its possible, again, IF it has indeed been put back, Lucas may have wanted to establish the immense scale of the planet. Looking at shots from this scene in the promo for the DVD, they've pulled that off. It's the only reason I can see for its possible restoration.
Dan (UK)
[Edited last by Dan Brecher on September 03, 2001 at 06:00 PM]

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
Again, the Greedo and Anakin stuff, seems just something to amuse the fans perhaps, not worth keeping in the movie. I think there's already enough characters in Phantom Menace that crop up in the latter trilogy.
Agreed--somewhat. Does seem like a little wink to all of the fans--maybe a little like Palpatine's "and you, young Skywalker, I'll be watching your career with great interest" comment, or Threepio saying "They'll never get me onto one of those dreadful starships". Too coincidental. For a galaxy that's supposed to be so vast, a lot of the same characters run into each other in the Prequels.
But, it is cool to see a little "Dark side" to Anakin. Would have kind of foreshadowed what we all knew was to come for him--would have evened out all of the "yippees" and "hey, let's go left, that's a neat trick!" business later on. The cute little kid would have a little bit of a temper, too.
I'm looking forward to seeing that scene, but I could do without it being Greedo. It should have been left in, and they could have put any other (new) character in there.
Sorry to be so off topic with this! Here:
Dude, this DVD is gonna rawk!
biggrin.gif

-mwb-
------------------
Obi-Wan (to Anakin):
Why do I think you're going to be the death of me?
Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
May 22, 2002

Neil White

Supporting Actor
Well I just tried to read it and it's been removed - apparently at Lucasfilms' request. You gotta laugh!
N

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
I'm looking forward to seeing that scene, but I could do without it being Greedo. It should have been left in, and they could have put any other (new) character in there.
I am looking forward to seeing it, because yes, it is a neat little things for fans to see. I certainly don't agree on thinking it should be back though. As written, it slows the movie down, and I feel that TPM did need moments of better pacing, but the Tatooine stuff was fine as is. More scenes, like the Jira scenes, would just have thrown the whole section on the planet off balance.
Coruscant is where I wish they had slowed down more, and indeed a fair bit of stuff was cut from here and despite this, is not being presented on the DVD.
frown.gif

Regardless, I too can not wait to get my paws on this release!
Dan (UK)

Tom J. Davis

Second Unit
The one scene I really, really, wanted doesn't seem to be there. The scene where maul jumps up on the landing platform. bummer....
Still, I know what I'll be doing on Oct 16th.
biggrin.gif

William Ward

Supporting Actor
I thought that they just edited it out of the movie. The shot in the desert with the ship flying away you see Maul in the foreground and it looks like he is getting up after a pretty decent fall(he still lands on his feet though).
I liken it to this: Jump from a three foot platform. When you hit the ground, your knees bend(or you get some messed up legs) and you rise back up. This is what Maul does. It would have made more sense if he had somewhere to fall from. As it is, it's just Maul and Qui-Gon slashing at each other. Then Qui-Gon jumps onto the ship. Maul should have just been standing there, not rising up from a crouch position.
------------------
William
Go Bucs!!
MyDVDs

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Well, it looks like the speculation will soon be at an end and we can all see for ourselves what it will be like. I see this posted over at The Bits, where Bill is saying he's gone for a couple of days to attend this event:
We're off to Skywalker Ranch to take part in a special 2-day, Lucasfilm-hosted press event to promote the upcoming DVD release of Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace. George Lucas himself will answer our DVD questions, along with DVD producer Van Ling and others involved in the creation of the 2-disc set.
Wow. I wonder how much George will answer! :) I hope he's ready for the BIG questions (i.e., how soon for the other DVD's...and what about Indy?).
I see Van Ling will be there. Funny, I thought he was Banned From The Ranch.
laugh.gif
I hope this DVD is easier to manuever around than The Abyss, though.
Anyway, I'm not gonna wait in line for it like so many others around here. However, I do intend to get this DVD the first week of it's release, at whatever the best stupid-low-loss-leader-price I can find around town. Soon we will know exactly how cool this disc is, and we can then start to speculate on how cool the other 6 discs we want will be!
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
Widescreen is Family Fun!
FamilyWidescreen_ws.jpg

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
quote: He wasn't banned! Those two were Mark Dippé and Steve Williams[/quote]
I know it wasn't him personally; I was just referring to the company he has worked for, and making a ha-ha out of it.
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
Widescreen is Family Fun!
FamilyWidescreen_ws.jpg

[Edited last by David Lambert on September 06, 2001 at 07:37 AM]

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
"The scene has Qui-Gon leaping onto the platform, and then cuts to Maul, who is calmly standing in the desert watching the ship depart and de-activating his lightsaber. Watch the scene again for yourself. There is not even a hint of Maul attempting to follow Qui-Gon onto the ship's platform. The scene was never filmed."
The scene as was scripted was supposed to play out with Qui-jumping to the platform, MAul following, Qui-Gon pushes him off and falls backward into the ship.
What's there now was filmed with that in mind. Not only does Maul look like he's standing up, there's a cloud of dust rising from his landing. And in the ship, Qui-Gon is indeed on his back panting heavily. It just doesn't fit too well with the insert of Qui-Gon calmly landing on the platform, walk a step or two, then a second later be lying on his back panting. I think it was filmed and for whatever reason cut.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks