Ep i dvd review online!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sean Moon, Sep 3, 2001.

1. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

2. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I wonder if this review is accurate or true. When Straddon was on the HTF Chat, he said the Ep. I transfer was going to be "amazing." Five out of seven is hardly amazing. Time will tell. I have a hard time believing this release wouldn't be top-notch or reference quality.

3. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

Same here, and I would think a major site like DVDfile or the bits would get a first crack at it. Especially with the conference about the dvd coming next week.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

4. HenrikTull

HenrikTull Second Unit

Well, as stated in the review, this is a preview copy they've got. Also, this is a review for the Region 2 release, which streets the day before the Region 1 release.

5. Thomas Johnsen

Thomas Johnsen Auditioning

I don't have time to translate all of it but i can translate the key points.
    -- [ translation starts ] --
    DVDnetts rating: 5 out of 7
    Readers rating (11 votes): 5 out of 7
    "Both superb and disappointing at the same time"
    [a review of the movie itself have been cut]
    Key points:
    * Lucas doesn't mention the "midi-chlorian" explenation for "The Force" at all during the commentary track
    * All the Jar Jar critic from the fans isn't mentioned at all on any bonus material
    * The commentary track which cuts between Lucas, Rick McCallum, Ben Burtt, Rob Coleman, John Knoll, Dennis Muren and Scott Squires. You get lots of information about how things got changed along the way, what got cut away, how scenes are built and sounddesign. But it isn't too lively and inspired. ( [​IMG] ) Would have been better with all the people in the room at the same time.
    * Documentary "The Beginning" follows the production from storyboards over a year before the filming starts up until Lucas previews the movie 2 weeks before the premiere. It gives a good insight into how the project developed, but not as deep as the hard-core fans would have wanted
    * The seven deleted scenes (one of which was edited back into the movie) was finished just for the DVD. Each clip is commented by Lucas, McCallum and Burt. These are:
    1) A long intro to the pod race sequence, where the drivers are introduced (10 mins)
    2) A longer version of the pod race, round 2, where there's a number of accidents and dirty tricks. (Then there's a rant about how Lucas stole the whole Pod Race sequence from a Norwegian movie, but this isn't commented by Lucas for some reason [​IMG].
    3) Waterfall-sequence; the ship the jedis and Jar Jar uses to get through Naiboo falls through a waterfall. It's followed by a good sequence which explains in detail how the scene is made by cg. Cool.
    4) This scene is put back into the film. It's the taxi-ride through the city sky at Coruscant.
    5) Scene from the morning before the pod race where Padme wakes Anakin. Not too exciting.
    6) Fight between Anakin and a young Greedo, which tells us not all is good in young Anakin.
    7) Short goodbye-scene before the jedis and Anakon leaves Tatooine, including a floating probe droid.
    Theres a few funny animations if you look at the credits after the clips if you watch them in documentary-mode.
    It's cool that Lucas finished the scenes for the DVD, but it doesn't add much to the movie. The most interesting and entertaining is the extended Pod Race sequence which is just as good as whats in the movie.
    * There's 3 short documentaries on animatics (3d generated story boards), a bunch of theater and tv-trailers, a couple of minutes bragging documentary about the Star Wars game: Starfighter, a webdocumentary about the production, poster and photo gallery, and some more.
    * The movie is 16:9 optimized (anamorphic) in 2.25:1 format, and the quality is superb. A little grainy in the desert scenes, but perfect most of the time. THX certified. The soundtrack is in DDEX5.1 (6.1) and is superb. Very dunamic with lots of surround and subwoofer action.
    * The main menu on the movie disc comes in multiple versions and changes each time you go there.
    Reviewers summary:
    OK, so we have this DVD release that every DVD fan wants; filled with bonus material on two discs, with top quality. It's hard not to give this movie a top score. But honestly: The Phantom Menace isn't a great film, and [the reviewer] thinks the movie in itself qualifies to a 4 [out of 7]. The DVD release pulls it up to a 5 but I'm not willing to stretch further. Let's hope Lucas does better with Episode 2 and 3, and that the rest of the movies in the series get equal DVD treatment as Episode 1. Because he [Lucas] knows how to make good DVD releases.
    -- [ end of review ] --
    Ok, i've translated it in between everything here at work so things might have gotten a bit weird. Hope you enjoy it anyway. [​IMG]
    [Edited last by Thomas Johnsen on September 03, 2001 at 02:14 AM]

6. Dave H

Dave H Producer

That sounds better....I interpreted the "five out of seven" review incorrectly. That's what I get for not understanding Norwegian.

7. Thomas Johnsen

Thomas Johnsen Auditioning

What strikes me about this DVD review is that it's not what you would expect from a review of the first ever Star Wars DVD. There's no "oooooh" and "aaaahhh". It's like "this is what we expected.. what's the big deal anyway?".
    This might be the bigest challenge Lucas faces when he releases the most anticipated DVDs ever. There is NO WAY he can satisfy everyones expectations. There's just too much hype.

8. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

9. Michael Ballack

Michael Ballack Second Unit

I'm still going to wait for dvdfile, thedigitalbits, and dvdreview's review of the disc. But it won't suprise me when there's about ten threads saying the Episode 1 DVD sucks. I also aggree that the Episode 1 DVD will suffer the same problem that the actual movie did, being over hyped. Hell, TPM is not the first disc to be over hyped. If you set your standards to high, you'll be sure to be disapointed. TPM was a good movie, not the greatest movie ever made, TPM DVD will probablly be a very good quality dvd not the best DVD ever made. 43 more days!!! [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Michael's DVD's

10. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

11. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg Supporting Actor

The thing I got most curious about, is that they said the aspect ration is 2.25:1. Maybe the difference is not big, maybe even overscan takes away more, but it all contributes to the final result, so I hope it is not cropped or zoomed in any way.
    Actually I get the feeling they rushed the review, perhaps in order to be the first site with a review, so the aspect ratio thing is just a typo. That sounds most believable to me anyway.
    Other than that, this seems to me like a typical DVDNett review, as they usually focus more on the movie than the technical aspects, which get reduced to a single paragraph. Just the way I like it as well, even though I usually do not follow this site particularly well for reviews, only news
    PS The tidbit about ripping of the podrace sequence from a Norwegian movie, is pure and utter bullshit, IMO. Certain Norwegian newspapers liked to claim this during EP 1 theatrical release, and there are a few superficial similarities, but gee, what do they expect. It seems to me again certain Norwegian newspapers like to overdramatize and magnify the impact of Norwegian endeavors in the great big world, and if you ask me it usually seems like a inferiority complex is a obligatory requirement for journalists in Norway, at least the ones who deals with popular culture, as these are the ones who need to fabricate their news to a greater extent. (The movie they claim that was ripped off, was a animated movie called Flåklypa Grand Prix, titled Pinchcliffe Grand Prix in the US)
    What I am also getting at, is that there is no such thing as a rant about this in the review mentioned, just a single line, which read more tongue-in-cheek to me.
    ------------------
    "You're 10 seconds away from the most embarrassing moment of your life!"
    Click here to admit you want to see Ford Fairlane on DVD!
    DVD List LD List

12. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

If it's anything like the VHS release, the European versions of TPM will be framed at 2.40:1, the US R1 at 2.35:1. Don't know why the UK VHS I have reatined the theatrical 2.40:1 OAR and the US VHS, Japanese LD retained 2.35:1....
    Dan (UK)

13. DanR

DanR Supporting Actor

That review sounds good to me. Looks like the major problem was the fact that the reviewer didn't really care for the movie to begin with.
    I do expect this release to sell really well, even if it will be anti-climactic after all this time.
    Regards,
    Dan

14. William Ward

William Ward Supporting Actor

I too wonder about the taxi ride through Coruscant. Seems to me like the waterfall scene or the fight between Anakin and Greedo would make more sense. They could have also put back the scene on Tatooine where Qui-Gon sees the probe droid which would explain why they are running and out of breath when Maul tries to 'maul' Anakin. [​IMG]
    Oh well...Since they aren't complaining about the technical merits of the DVD I'm not worried.
    I'm only worried about the dreaded edge enhancement that seems to be plagueing the newer releases...
    ------------------
    William
    Go Bucs!!
    MyDVDs

15. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

16. Norm

Norm Cinematographer

Norm
    What happened to the Maul vs. Qui on the landing platform scene? I was reported to be on the DVD.
    ------------------
    Christopher Reeve Paralysis Foundation
    http://apacure.org/

17. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Why is the region 2 version at 2:25 - this is incorrect technically, isn't it?

18. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    Awww, Dave F. You beat me to the punch on that one. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Yes, but are they high-quality balloons? ~ David Letterman [​IMG]

19. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

20. Tom Ryan

Tom Ryan Screenwriter

Are you guys sure that this deleted scene (air taxi) was added back into the film, a la a director's cut? Or what are you talking about.....? I see this more as an extended version of the scene that was in the movie, I'm pretty sure that it would've been in the press release if they were going to have an extended cut of the film on the DVD.
    -Tom
    ------------------
    There is nothing wrong with any of the surrounds on your Forrest Gump DVD! It's ok!!!