What's new

Entry level SACD or Sony ES changer ? (1 Viewer)

anthony_b

Screenwriter
I orderd the ce775 SACD player, but now I'm having second thoughts about purchasing something so new. Should I go with the es70 changer and wait for SACD players to have more software ?

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
[edit] wow i totally misread your post.
well, how badly do you want SACD? i (as you might know) am trading in my Marantz CC-4000 CD changer for the Sony SACD player you just ordered. i say you go to your local hifi store and have a listen to both (if possible) and make your decision from there.
------------------
-Thomas
Click here to visit my webpage.
[Edited last by Thomas_Berg on October 01, 2001 at 09:50 AM]

anthony_b

Screenwriter
Well maybe I'm getting cold feet !!....I'm sure SACD sounds better (I heard it), but to shell out over $300 plus buy aditional cables (for 5.1) for something that doesn't have much software and questionable CD performance is just making me a bit nervous...

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Anthony, I can't say for sure which player will sound better with CDs, as I only have peripheral experience with them. As a mass-market Sony product, I wouldn't expect great CD performance from the 'CE775. I once owned a CDP-CE535 carousel changer, which was the equivalent a couple years ago of the current CDP-CE575, and the player was lackluster. Build and sound quality were rather poor. Now, Sony's ES SACD players have been better CD players in general than their typical ES CD players, so maybe the 'CE775 is a cut above the 'CE575 and other mass-market Sony CD players. I would be interested to find that out.
I don't have the 'CA70ES, but do have two 'CA80ES changers, which is the step up from the 'CA70ES. As a mid-priced carousel changer, the 'CA80ES is quite good, and the 'CA70ES is good at its price point. My gut feeling is that the 'CA70ES would be a better CD player than the 'CE775.
What I suggest is that you buy both players from reputable dealers with 30-day money-back guarantees and try them out at home. If you can find one dealer with both players, then see if they will set them up in a sound room for a CD "face-off". Chances are, the store will be using different associated equipment than what you have, but an in-store comparison could be telling. In the end, the best thing is to try them both out at home. Now, buying both at one dealer could be problematic since they may get the idea that you are going to bring one back. I don't know how that would work.
Tweeter sells the 'CA70ES, if you have one in your part of New Jersey. Also, some Best Buy and Circuit City stores are stocking the 'CE775. I have not seen the 'CE775 at my local Tweeter stores. In any event, you should be able to find local stores that have these two players. If you do hear them both in one store or do take them home for a comparison, I would be very interested in the results. Good luck.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime
[Edited last by KeithH on October 01, 2001 at 10:53 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks