What's new
World Wide Stereo

End of my rope. (1 Viewer)

wcflush817

Auditioning
Real Name
John
I am having so many issues with my set up that I am about to lose it. Any help is appreciated. First of all my set up is as follow...

Panasonic 50" G20

Denon Avr-590

Panasonic dmp-bd65
Scientific Atlanta 8300HD

PS3

Logitech Harmony 880 remote

Now that we have that squared away, here are the things I am having issues with.

1. When I turn on the system for any function I have to shut off the receiver and turn it back on for it to actually play sound through the speakers.

2. I only get surround sound when it is in 5channel stereo, I am ok with this but since I never take it off that setting I do not for the life of me understand why it changes periodically, and I cant find a button on the logitech or the actual denon remote to switch it over to there. I have to get up walk over and cycle through back to the 5 channel which is moderately annoying after spending what I spent on the remote.

3. The Cable box is brand new but apparently the box and the received do not like each other and am having visual issues. My girlfriend has played with it enough to uncover if you turn off the box and the receiver and let it wait about 5 minutes it will go back to normal.

The first 2 things drive me batty, and this new one will as well. Please any helpful replies are appreciated.

Thanks

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
How do you have the cable box, ps3 and Panasonic br player hooked up? HDMI, optical/coaxial or red and white? I don't have time to download the manual and read through it but most receivers let you select which surround mode an input will default to. You really have to go through the entire setup process if you haven't alrady done so.

Sometimes the remote will let you switch between Stereo and 5 Channel Stereo by pushing the Stereo button repeatedly. But you should be able to get true surround sound with the products you have. I've always founf Denons to be very difficult to setup and operate.

wcflush817

Auditioning
Real Name
John
I should have mentioned this. Everything is hooked up HDMI to the receiver and then HDMI to the TV.
about the remote there is no stereo button. It will cycle through everything else but wont go to 5 ch stereo.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
On pg 28 of the manual there's a setting called "Auto Surround Mode" On selects the most recently stored surround mode. Off Means the surround mode dose not change according to the input signal.

Also make sure the Decode Mode is set to Auto (see pg 32).

There is a thing called hdmi "handshake" issues which means some components don't play well together when hooked up via hdmi. This usually involes a cable box. Not saying that it's the problem here but just thought I'd mention it.

Also, make sure the audio settings in the cable box are set to Dolby Digital and not Stereo and the dvd/br players are set to Bitstream and not LPCM.

There is also a Factory Rest procedure on pg 57. You will lose all of your settings and the whole setup process will have to be done over again but as a last resort....

The manual can also be found on-line if you lost yours. Go to Denons website, click on the Download button on the top and follow the instructions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gemini007
Recent bookmarks