What's new

Encourage People To Buy MTM Season 1 (1 Viewer)

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
MTM is one series that was on my DVD list from the beginning. When I saw the first PR image of the packaging, I knew I had to have it. I don't remember being distressed at the price I paid at Costco, but couldn't tell you what it was.

I'm very happy with the set, and recommend it to anyone who is on the fence. I have no problems with the White Christmas edit, as I know that songs that you might think are in the public domain are the most expensive, most obnoxious ones to license. I'd prefer it be there, but it's not going to keep me from enjoying the other HOURS of entertainment in this set.

I too think the best hope for this series is for season 2 to come out. Best Buy and Deep Discount would both likely offer some bonus price for people buying both. I can't say I blame Fox for not wanting to pursue it though.

I've been seeking to "get the word out" for 24, so I've been passing it around the office, and bought the set for my mother's birthday. I did the same with Stargate. Perhaps anyone who really wants to see a season 2 should look at who is on their gift list, and get them season 1 for the next holiday or birthday.

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor
I agree with everyone here that the price for MTM is expensive for a TV show from the 1970's. IMO, the reason why MTM didn't sell well is that it is priced around $43 for 24 episodes. Fox should lower the retail price to $29.95.

Mary Tyler Moore Show has lots of fans but, IMO, many fans refuse to purchase the show at it's current prices. In fact, I picked up M*A*S*H Season 1 & Season 2 for $29.95 last year at Best Buy. A good amount of older TV shows are priced at $29.95. If FOX lowers the price of MTM: Season 1 to $29.95 then more people will purchase MTM.

MTM is not Angel, Buffy The Vampire Slayer, etc. Buffy The Vampire Slayer, Angel, etc are selling well at $40+ retail price because they are newer shows. Lets face it, All In The Family, Sanford & Son, Jeffersons (all of these shows are from Columbia Tristar) & M*A*S*H (FOX) are selling well (these shows have 2+ seasons avaliable on DVD) because the prices are affordable for theses older shows. MTM should be sold at a retail price of $29.95.

Richard Michael Clark

Second Unit
It's right what you guys say. Fox need to lower the price NOW and it will sell. Then release the other seasons at a lower price too - surely all these costs balance at the end of the day anyway (against other titles etc)?

I bought this set due to overwhelming positive buzz on this and other dvd forums. I'd never seen it before and heard of it only as a famous, well respected show that was the template for the "Friends" style sit-coms that I enjoy today. I am 27 and from the UK btw, which explains why I know little about it as I've never seen it on UK TV.

I LOVED this and the thought that I'll miss the (better?) seasons is a real shame.

The documentary was fascinating and the whole set was obviously put together with much love. BUT it seems that $ dictate all and Fox NEED to lower the price if they want people to buy it.

It is a shame that the market is SO flooded with every show ever made all of a sudden! Hell, even in the UK we are getting full season releases of US shows that no-one even watched on TV here! I honestly don't know how they expect these to do well but TV on DVD is big business suddenly - but ONLY it seems (and I speak for the UK here) if the show is current and / or has a huge cult (read geek / young / computer literate / aware that it even exists!) following.

Anyway, more MTM please - and Fox, think of people like me who will gladly import every season! ;)

Stacie

Stunt Coordinator
I love MTM, but haven't yet purchased Season 1. Mostly that's because of a problem that others have already identified: too many other great titles competing for the tiny amount in my bank account. In particular, I dropped a huge chunk of change last year to acquire ST:TNG, and that pretty much ate up my budget for TV on DVD. I don't have a problem with the price point MTM is at, though I admit that I might already have purchased it if it were significantly cheaper.

Anyway, you've inspired me. I'll go out and buy it this week, for all the good it will probably do.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I'll go out and buy it this week, ...
Thank you, Stacie. :)
Every sale helps. :)

But, Stacie, don't go to a B&M to get it. Get it here. It's higher @ most physical stores I've noticed.

How ANYONE can resist buying the MTM-1 4-Disc set is something I cannot fathom. But, I've loved the show for years. So I'm biased. :)

Maybe it'd help if we could get FOX and Image Entertainment to "join forces" and market the MTM-1 set with The Dick Van Dyke Show Season 1 upcoming September release in a tandem set. That'd be pleasant. :)

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
The show hasn't been on any time recently. A lot of people have simply never seen it.= or saw it long enough ago there memories are vague.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I purchased Season 1, but unfortunately had to sell it due to financial constraints. But I did so on the assumption that no further sets were going to be forthcoming.

If they commit to continuing with the season sets, I would not only buy the new releases, but I'd rebuy Season 1 as well.

I just don't want to end up with the first 2 or 3 seasons only to see it abandoned later.

Claude North

Second Unit
Greetings!

This thread has been an eye-opener for me. I am one of those MTM fans who pre-ordered the Season One set the day it was listed on dvdplanet.com. I was shocked that the set did not sell well--I believe the phrase used by Fox was "a staggering disappointment"--because MTM is a classic TV series and certainly one of the most influential and revered.

Personally, I did not find the cost of the first set to be unreasonable, but it seems that many people did. I would like to see the remaining seasons released, but I realize that it's not likely to happen at the moment. It's a shame because so many of the series' greatest moments happened in later seasons, and not just the death of Chuckles, but Sue Ann's affair with Lars, and Ted Baxter's Teddy Award win.

Hopefully, this thread will help to revive interest in the series.

Regards!

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor
It's not just the price that's affecting the sales of MTM: Season 1, it is also the fact that there are so many DVD's competing for people's money. In fact, I haven't purchased MTM: Season 1 or Season 2 of All In The Family or Season 3+ of M*A*S*H yet because there are some many DVD's which I want to own but since I don't have infinite income, I have to make sacrifices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks