What's new

enclosure, port, driver and amp (1 Viewer)

Matt Weyen

Stunt Coordinator
Enclosure: approx. 5.5ft^3

Driver: Adire Shiva

Amp: PE 250watt ($130 sale unit)

Port: 16 inches if tuned to 18hz

Does anyone have any suggestions as to any changes that would improve this design? A change in the tuning hz or even choosing to not port it???

Suggestions, comments on this design would be much appreciated.

thanx-

MW

Harry Lincoln

Stunt Coordinator
"Port: 16 inches if tuned to 18hz"

Matt, there is no port diameter listed here, im guessing that would be a 4 inch port?

I recently built two shiva sonosubs tuned to 16.5hz - I was blown away by the performance of these things. My specs were 6ft^3 cabinet volume, port was about 4 inch x 16 inch (I think).

Sealed vs ported depends on what you want to use the sub for. Sealed subs are usually 'tighter' sounding but cannot extend as low as ported subs. Generally for HT use ported is the go, while sealed are better suited to music use. The port on a sub can be 'plugged' (using a rag or something) to make a ported sub act like a sealed sub.

Harry.

Matt Weyen

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you very much for the reply. The port is going to be 4" diameter just as you guessed.

By the way, did you use a flared port such as the one available at adire or a pvc pipe?

The one at adire says it's only 12" long and I can't find a longer version so I'm thinking I'm going to need pvc for the port too.

thanx-

MW

Harry Lincoln

Stunt Coordinator
I used PVC pipe for the ports and cut a flare into the top endcap using a router, I also added a homemade flare to the bottom of the port, I used a 20mm radius for the flare.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks