What's new

Enclosure builders? (1 Viewer)

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
Hello all,
I have had some Adire Audio kits (3 281s and 2 81s) for nearly 3 years now and I still haven't found the time to build them. I was about to have Acoustic Visions build a set of enclosures for me but Kyle is not currently taking orders for custom enclosure work (he said he may again in the Spring).

Are there any other enclosure builders out there that you guys can recommend? I may actually have some time to build them myself in the coming months but if not, I'd like to have some options.

Thanks.

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Brian Bunge and I do, but are often busy. I'd really suggest a local cabinet shop to save on the hefty shipping charges. You should be able to find individuals with the skills or a small custom cabinet shop fairly easily.

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
He can do you a good job, but remember, it's shipping from Canada. I'm just trying to save you some hefty shipping expense. Just try locally first. Enjoy the music.;)

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
I'll have to let my fingers do the walking through the local phone book before I do anything. My only apprehension about finding a nearby cabinet maker is finding one that will do a good job with speaker enclosures.

Dan Hine

Screenwriter

As long as you bring them the plans available from Adire Audio they should have no problems following directions. After all, we're talking about enclosures that amateurs can put together (myself included).

- Dan

Mark Seaton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark Seaton
Todd,

Had you checked out the cabinets available from Parts Express? Particularly the 1.0 cu.ft. cabinets which are perfect for the sealed 281 design. I can't imagine you getting cabinets from a builder for less than 1.5-2x as much money, and all you have to do is route the holes in the baffle. Even for that you could likely find someone to help or cut the holes precisely for you.
http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage....WebPage_ID=180

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Mark, I should have thought of the P.E. cabinets.
Todd: I certainly would charge you more for those 1.0 cu. ft. cabinets. They're made in China and bought in large quantities, so us one-man shops can't touch the price. GO for it.

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
Thanks for all of the replies. I'll definitely take a look at my options. The Parts Express cabinets look like an interesting option. I'll also still have to call around and see what a cabinet maker can do for me.

If I wait a few months I could probably find the time to just build the enclosures myself. I'll be finished with school and I'll suddenly find myself with a lot more free time. I'd like to get these speakers put together before the warranty expires just in case any of the parts happen to be defective.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
I've seen those PE cabinets first hand and I cannot believe the quality you get for the money. As Hank said, "I wouldn't build something like that for so cheap."

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Hey Brian, bud, you know when they switch over those production line kids from making Nike's to speaker cabinets, the labor cost is nil. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks