What's new

Emmy nominations announced (1 Viewer)

AndrewD

Stunt Coordinator
Well, nominations for the Emmy awards were announced this morning. 'Sopranos' racked them up, but they did last year as well and got spanked. No nods for 'Buffy' which was odd, yet predictable, though many considered 'The Body' episode some the finest TV of the season. 'Friends' too was absent in the 'Best Comedy' slot, bumped by 'Malcom in the Middle.' I didn't know they added two new 'reality' programming categories this year.
I got some of the below from CNN.com. Emmy.tv has a PDF file with all of the nominations, including technical nominations.....
(CNN) -- The Academy of Television Arts & Sciences announced its nominations for the 53rd Emmy Awards, and HBO's "The Sopranos" whacked the competition, picking up 22 nominations including one for best drama.
NBC's "The West Wing" was second, with 18 nominations. It was also nominated for best drama, along with "ER," "Law & Order" and "The Practice."
The nominees for best comedy were "Everybody Loves Raymond," "Frasier," "Malcolm in the Middle," "Sex and the City," and last year's winner, "Will & Grace."
"Survivor" is nominated in the new reality programming category.
Along with Heaton, nominees for best actress in a comedy series are Calista Flockhart ("Ally McBeal"), Jane Kaczmarek ("Malcolm in the Middle"), Sarah Jessica Parker ("Sex and the City"), and Debra Messing ("Will & Grace").
Outstanding actor in a comedy series went to Kelsey Grammer ("Frasier"), John Lithgow "(3rd Rock From the Sun"), Eric McCormack ("Will & Grace"), Frankie Muniz ("Malcolm in the Middle"), and Ray Romano ("Everybody Loves Raymond").
The HBO drama "The Sopranos" picked up 22 nominations to lead all series. Actors James Gandolfini and Edie Falco were among its nominees
Nominees for lead actor in a drama: Andre Braugher ("Gideon's Crossing"), Dennis Franz ("NYPD Blue"), James Gandolfini ("The Sopranos"), Rob Lowe ("The West Wing") and Martin Sheen ("The West Wing").
Nominees for lead actress in a drama: Lorraine Bracco ("The Sopranos"), Amy Brenneman ("Judging Amy"), Edie Falco ("The Sopranos"), Marg Helgenberger ("CSI"), and Sela Ward ("Once and Again").
Other nominations:
Best miniseries: "Anne Frank," "Armistead Maupin's Further Tales of the City," "Horatio Hornblower," "Life with Judy Garland: Me and My Shadows," and "Nuremberg."
Best made-for-TV movie: "Conspiracy," "For Love or Country: The Arturo Sandoval Story," "Neil Simon's Laughter on the 23rd Floor," "61*," and "Wit."
Best actor in a miniseries or movie: Kenneth Branagh ("Conspiracy"), Andy Garcia ("For Love or Country: The Arturo Sandoval Story"), Gregory Hines ("Bojangles"), Ben Kingsley ("Anne Frank"), and Barry Pepper ("61*").
In the reality TV category, "Survivor" was joined by MTV's "Road Rules: Maximum Velocity Tour," VH1 series "Band on the Run," USA's "Eco-Challenge: Borneo" and TLC's (The Learning Channel) "Junkyard Wars."
HBO led all networks with 94 nominations. NBC received 76, ABC earned 63, CBS had 46 and Fox got 40.
[Edited last by AndrewD on July 12, 2001 at 10:54 AM]
[Edited last by AndrewD on July 12, 2001 at 10:55 AM]

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Buffy being shut out is a bummer, but I don't know if the Academy knows what to do with Buffy, is it a comedy or a drama?
I was glad to see the Powerpuff Girls, The Daily Show, and Freaks and Geeks nominated.
I haven't watched the Emmy's in years. I only watch The Oscars, the SAG awards, and the Indipendent Spirit Awards.
------------------
These chicks know how to party! - MoJo JoJo

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks