What's new

Email Notification? (1 Viewer)

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Norm:
Yes, you will now get an email each time. And since this is something that I added to mod out vBulletin at your request you can send me a check. I get $600/hour and I spent the last two weeks on this 24/7. :)
Parker

Patrick Bennett

Stunt Coordinator
I don't care if John's an "awesome guy." If his 'customers' are constantly asking for the same feature, and he refuses to add it, then as I said, 'his priorities are very screwed up.'

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
His customers are not constanltly asking for this feature. I have seen one thread where several people asked for it, but most people replied that they liked it the way it was, and I am one of those. Otherwise the mail server get's overloaded, and people get lots of e-mail for active threads. vBulletin has a very large installed base, and only a few requested this, so I feel your statement about customers constanly asking about this, is insignificant. Get your facts straight, before you make false accusations.
Thank you.

Patrick Bennett

Stunt Coordinator
Believe me plenty of people have asked for this but to no avail
I would say from those two responses (from the admin of this board - a vBulletin user, and one in constant contact with the author) that it's reasonably clear that the author decided that it shouldn't work that way, and if the user's don't agree, well, they're wrong. If he makes it a configurable option, there's no damage done, at all.
The fact that he won't even make it a configurable option (for the customer to decide) brings back my original point:
"His priorities are all screwed up..."
If you want to continue a discussion about vBulletin, you're welcome to email me.
That said:
Thanks for implementing the new mail-feature Parker!!
:emoji_thumbsup:

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Joshua:

For clarification sake. Since I have been with vBulletin since it started (although I didn't use it as on this forum until recently) when vBulletin came out and the subscriptions where started lots of the users came over from UBB. Many of them were used to the email notifications being sent out each time someone posted to a thread they were following. Lots of discussions were done, at that time, with John about changing this to were an email would get sent out each time and he stated that this was not something that he was going to do. So after that people just stopped asking him to implement it. Now the majority of the users of vBulletin know that this is something that John doesn't want to have as a part of vBulletin so very few people ask for it anymore.

Parker

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
I don't think it would be possible to make it optional. This feature is hard coded into the php files. There are some people who want this feature, but not enought to justify the time of coding it.

The world does not revolve around you.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
I'm sorry. I only knew about the recent threads where a few people asked. But I think they only asked, as you stated, becasue they were used to it working a certain way on UBB. Just because they are used to it working a certain way, does not make it correct. The way it works by default on vBulletin is the correct way.
Whoa! That reminds me of Joe6Pack! :)

DeborahK

Supporting Actor
Parker,
Thanks a million for all your work on this! I was another one who kept asking you why we could not have this feature on the new board. You explained and I accepted it, of course, but longed for the "good old days" when all the replies came in e-mails for threads I was tracking.
And for the record, I did not want this feature because I was just used to it, I wanted it because it was a big time saver for me. Being on the web is not something I can do as readily or as much as I can read e-mail, especially at work. With the e-mails, I could pretty much go to the HTF once a day to browse around and post replies. (And does anyone really think Parker would spend hours and hours adding a feature that only a few people were asking for?)
In any case, big, big improvement, in my opinion and your effort is greatly appreciated by me. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
Deborah

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Deb:

Believe me you were one of the main reasons that I wrote this. I knew that you found this a very beneficial feature and it wasn't just something that you thought was cool. I was happy that I could get it working ok.

Joshua:

I can make this an option if you want. That is you can get an email each time or not. Looks like it would be pretty easy to do.

Parker

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
Great! Then I would be able to turn notification back on, without my inobx getting flooded. BTW, I didn't mean to piss anyone off, I just don't like peole dissing John like that.

DeborahK

Supporting Actor
"Believe me you were one of the main reasons that I wrote this. I knew that you found this a very beneficial feature and it wasn't just something that you thought was cool. I was happy that I could get it working ok. "
Parker -- Once again a million and one thanks from me! I am a new woman since the change. ;)
Deborah

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks