Email Notification?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Norm, Jan 4, 2002.

1. Norm

Norm Cinematographer

Norm
    Why was this changed? I lost tons of threads, that I was following!

2. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Norm:

Can you be more specific? Are you talking about threads that you had on the old site or just since we moved here? You can always go to the User Control panel area and it will list as the threads that you have email notification enabled on.

When you select to have email notification it will only send you out updated email notifications for a particular thread if you go back to the forum and read it. That is what is said in the email that gets sent to you with a reply to a particular post that you are following.

Parker

3. Norm

Norm Cinematographer

Norm
    "There may be other replies also, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the board again."

Parker, This is what I don't like. I want email send after every post, that I subscribe too.

4. Parker Clack

Parker
    Norm:

This is the way that it has been since we moved to using vBulletin. It is a feature of this software and nothing that I have any control over. Like I said you can go to the User Control panel and look at those threads that you have posted to or initiated yourself and see all of them in one location. The feature of having an email sent each time a person responded to a thread was with UBB and not with vBulletin. Believe me we have talked to the author of vBulletin about this but it is not something that he wants to change.

Parker

5. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    As someone who runs a vBulletin board which is nowhere near the size of HTF, I don't see the need for getting an email after every post. The email is sent when a thread gets a new post to let you know that there is (at least one) new post. So, until you visit the thread, you are aware that there are new posts with only one email being sent out. Once you check out the thread again, you'll get another email once there has been a post after your last visit.

The idea behind this is not to overburden the server. If 15 people are being notified about a thread that gets heavy posting (say 30 posts/day), that would be 450 emails that the server would have to send just for that one thread. Multiply that over the number of threads that people subscribe to and you get very large numbers. If those same 15 people only visit HTF twice a day to read the thread, then only 30 emails will be sent out. 30 vs. 450 is a huge difference.

6. Norm

Norm Cinematographer

Norm
    Parker & Joe, Thanx for the info.

Joe, I understand the idea behind it, but I still like it the other way.

7. Norm

Norm Cinematographer

Norm
    Joe, One more thing I thought the idea of getting an email notification was so you don't need to go to the site to read the post/posts. If its just a notification then why is there message in the email? The way it is now you can read one post, but if you don't go there you miss the rest, I like getting an email with message everytime there's a new post.

vBulletin board seems to have lost the meaning of the whole concept. If they only want to let you know there is a new post, then there should be no message in the email, that way it makes you go back to the thread, to read that post and all the others that are there, that you didn't know were there.

8. Patrick Bennett

Patrick Bennett Stunt Coordinator

I agree, I don't like the new behavior either. I don't like the fact that as soon as I 'visit' the board, my cookies are reset. Normally I visit the board (while at home) every 3 days or so and read through most of the new threads that have been created since I last logged on.

If I want to keep up on a thread that I've subscribed to, I really can't. To see activity for just that thread, I have to visit the board, which again, resets my cookies. If I just want to see that one thread, I've now basically committed myself to viewing the entire board (if I want the advantage of highlighted 'new' threads) - something I only have time for a couple times a week.

I really wish this could be changed - or make it so that when you visit a thread via the email notification link - it doesn't update your 'last visited' cookie.

9. Parker Clack

Parker
    Patrick:

I understand your frustration and many people have talked to vBulletin about this to no avail.

One thing you might try doing is going to the User Control Panel and click on the Edit Options and make sure that your Browse Board with Cookies is turned off. That may help with this situation.

Parker

10. Patrick Bennett

Thanks Parker, but if I turn cookies completely off, how will I be able to use them when I want? I would still like to make my periodic 'read everything' visits and the cookie's marking of new posts is pretty handy.

I fail to see why the author of vBulletin would be making that determination for his >users

11. Parker Clack

Parker
    Patrick:

Just turn off the Browse this board with cookies. Leave the Automatically Login enabled. This will still keep the new messages being shown to you when you come back to read the whole site. It will only turn off the cookie while browsing the site instead of resetting it.

I am working on a work around this but I have to get it written. Believe me plenty of people have asked for this but to no avail.

Parker

12. Patrick Bennett

Sounds like the author has his priorities very screwed up.

13. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i also wish i could receive the email after each post without having to come back first.

i feel like i'm "forced" to visit the board again, otherwise i'll miss something.

i often find myself clicking the link, then immediately going back to whatever previous post or thread i was doing before i got the email notfication.

it's a real drag...

regarding server load - isn't our new server capable of handling it?

14. Parker Clack

Parker
    Ted:

As I have said. This is not something that I wrote and part of the vBulletin software.

Parker

15. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i know parker...
    no offense meant. just me sounding off. i still say you're doing a great job!
    [​IMG]

16. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard Screenwriter

Joshua Clinard
    How dare you speak of John like that! [​IMG] Inconceivable!
    I think it is too confusing the other way. If you don't read your e-mail in the order they are received, and I don't, I always read newest first, then you would get a e-mail with the later reply after a e-mail with an earlier reply, which does not make sense.
    I hope that makes sense.

17. Parker Clack

Parker
    Joshua:

18. Patrick Bennett

Yippee!!! I can actually follow all the threads now! [​IMG]

19. Norm

Norm Cinematographer

Norm
    Parker, we will or we will not? I don't understand what you mean?

20. Patrick Bennett

I think he meant 'you will now get an email each time...'