What's new

Desktop, and Email notifications Problems. (1 Viewer)

Jim Patterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James
I'm just wondering, I haven't been receiving desktop, and email notifications. I checked my settings, and all seems fine, is the site having issues, or is it on my end? Thanks.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Same for the last few days. I've toggled some settings to see if it'll work and a few have started to trickle through this afternoon.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Owner
Real Name
Dave Upton
Me on Thursday
Clog The Worst GIF

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
OK, I have a somewhat-related issue that I would like clarification on.

I'm well-familiar with several other forums that use Xenforo as their base software. One of the features that I can't seem to find here is about email notification of subscribed threads. At the other forums, if I've subscribed to a thread, and a new post is made, I get an email notification - and then it stops - unless I visit the forum again via a browser. This has the nicety of not filling up my emails with every response to every thread I'm subscribed to.

Now maybe you guys like it that way but when I've commented on a popular and numerous response thread like 'What have you watched on DVD or Blu lately?", my email gets flooded with every single response, even though I haven't visited the forum.

I do like the feature of being notified of a response, just not the totality of getting every response as an email since my last visit. So, if it were the way I'd prefer, I would get the first response after my last visit to the forum and then nothing. Once I use that link to connect to the Forum via a browser, then I can see all of the later responses too.

I don't see anything in my personal settings to make this happen - or I've missed it.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Owner
Real Name
Dave Upton
OK, I have a somewhat-related issue that I would like clarification on.

I'm well-familiar with several other forums that use Xenforo as their base software. One of the features that I can't seem to find here is about email notification of subscribed threads. At the other forums, if I've subscribed to a thread, and a new post is made, I get an email notification - and then it stops - unless I visit the forum again via a browser. This has the nicety of not filling up my emails with every response to every thread I'm subscribed to.

Now maybe you guys like it that way but when I've commented on a popular and numerous response thread like 'What have you watched on DVD or Blu lately?", my email gets flooded with every single response, even though I haven't visited the forum.

I do like the feature of being notified of a response, just not the totality of getting every response as an email since my last visit. So, if it were the way I'd prefer, I would get the first response after my last visit to the forum and then nothing. Once I use that link to connect to the Forum via a browser, then I can see all of the later responses too.

I don't see anything in my personal settings to make this happen - or I've missed it.
Hi Harry,

We utilize some extensions to XenForo here to improve the experience. One of these is designed to ensure alerts aren't totally wiped out just by visiting a parent forum. There was an inadvertent setting this added a while back that caused the emails you have been receiving.

Sorry for the spam, and this should now be fixed!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Ambassador
Real Name
Tony D.
I like getting an email for every single response to my threads that I follow.

Don’t want to lose that. Places like DvdTalk and b,Ray .com only send out emails when I visit the site. That’s a boo for me.

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Don’t want to lose that.No laces like DvdTalk and b,Ray .com only send out emails when I visit the site. That’s a boo for me.

Tony,

The problem for any site like ours is that sending all your replies to email means you are not visiting the site inbetween each notification.

Forums like those you mentioned, as well as ours, are gauged by how many times someone visits the sites. There is a reason why forums frown upon being read through an email.

I do see you are a PREMIUM member so I am not exactly certain what is being allowed for our subscribers. That's a Dave question that I am certain he will respond to.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Ambassador
Real Name
Tony D.
I understand that, I’m here basically all day long most days so I’m not the person you have to worry about.

But I do see the reason for only sending a notice when one visits the site.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Don’t want to lose that. Places like DvdTalk and b,Ray .com only send out emails when I visit the site. That’s a boo for me.

I agree. I like getting the e-mail with notifications, especially if I'm away from civilization for a day or five. I can read through the e-mails and see if there is something I want to respond to. I do understand the "why," but not a fan of it at all, especially if I'm on my phone.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
The email notifications are also now cutting off everything after the first line or so of the message posted.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Yeah, I understand about the emails being a teaser to visit the forum. I think that's what they were designed for. When I get every post from every subscribed thread, in my inbox, I find that I don't have to visit the forum. All of the info I would mostly want is in my email. Sometimes days go by without visiting the forum and when I do, some threads have me back several pages or more. It's like double work to clear out the email AND read the forum too.

My suggestion is that this needs to be a choice. Those that want all emails should get them, those that want only notice emails should be able to get those.

There's a STAR TREK forum that sends out email notifications, but they include no text so as to insure a visit to the forum for the curious. I hate that too!

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Owner
Real Name
Dave Upton

My suggestion is that this needs to be a choice. Those that want all emails should get them, those that want only notice emails should be able to get those.

It is set up to be an option for you to configure yourself here: https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/account/preferences

You'll need to check this box below:

1638492612447.png

The email notifications are also now cutting off everything after the first line or so of the message posted.
This is intended behavior for non-premium members. I think when I fixed the issue earlier, I also reverted to an old set of permissions that broke this for Senior Members.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Ambassador
Real Name
Tony D.
Not sure what you mean by fixed for senior members.
Up until maybe the last day or so my emails included the entire text and now it’s the first line only.

I appreciate the need to bring in money for the site but it’s unfortunate that very active members that have been here for 20+ years are losing things we have been accustomed to for many years including animated avatars.
Other then Ron and myself I don’t think there are any. But I digress.

E1BD9DAB-A371-4229-8394-B87DC79896D9.jpeg

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Owner
Real Name
Dave Upton
I hate it when I never get a notification about your Weekly Updates when you first post the new thread. Never, ever.
I get emails about other new threads, but not yours. Bummer.
Your can try following Mike specifically

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thegekko77
Recent bookmarks