What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Elton John "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" SACD info (1 Viewer)

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
http://www.musictap.net/

"Groundbreaking from Universal continues with their upcoming Elton John Deluxe Edition SACDs in two styles and with added bonuses. Available as an SACD Hybrid with bonus DVD and as a SACD Hybrid Deluxe Edition, you'll end up with the best package possible of Goodbye Yellow Brick Road. This album sold over 7 million and generated a slew of hits. And it's one that everyone has been waiting for.

The SACD/DVD edition contains the original album with the additions of bonus tracks, "Whenever You're Ready (We'll Go Steady)", "Jack Rabbit", and "Screw You (Young Man Blues)", not included on the original but emanating from the sessions. There is also a previously unreleased bonus track with an acoustic version of "Candle In the Wind". In addition, this release will contain, on the DVD, a 50 minute film on the "Making of Goodbye Yellow Brick Road". Chapters will include, "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road", "Jamaican Jerk-Off", "Ballad of Danny Bailey", " Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting", "Bennie and The Jets", "Sweet Painted Lady", "Roy Rogers", and "Candle in the Wind". The packaging will be an 8 panel Digipak, fitting inside a double keeper. The Deluxe Version will have a plastic O-Slipsleeve. The SACD Hybrid Deluxe Edition will contain everything listed above with the exception of the DVD bonus. Both come on 2 CDs."

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I'm sure this will become clearer as more details are revealed, perhaps from Matt Rowe himself, but I don't understand why the "Deluxe Edition" seemingly offers less: "The SACD Hybrid Deluxe Edition will contain everything listed above with the exception of the DVD bonus."

-p

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I can't wait to own it on yet another format. So far, vinyl, reel to reel, and 8-track for a car I once owned...oh, and a truly miserable early CD of it.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
I wonder how it will compare to the MoFi version. It will probably toast it which means that I've got another MoFi that will never be touched! I should sell off my entire MoFi collection while there's still time left.:frowning:

PhilBoy

Second Unit
I believe the DVD material was actually a TV special I saw back in '75, but not since...

If this release is the same one, it's cool.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Then there's the upcoming DVD-Audio release, which has been announced without a firm date.

It is possible, depending on content that all of this would be on a single DVD disc, depending on video running time.

Regards,

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
{Kinda off direct GYBR topic--apologies.}

Ron:

[The GYBR SACD] . . . will probably toast . . . [the MoFi] which means that I've got another MoFi that will never be touched! I should sell off my entire MoFi collection while there's still time left. :frowning:
I feel your pain. I've gone from kinda thinking I'll hang on to all of my MoFis (and DCCs), to planning to eBay them all now but then being disappointed with the low prices/lack of interest many generated after a little research on eBay, to regretting my sale of the DCC Empire for solely visceral reasons after I got the DVD-A, to my current thinking: I'm going to approach each album for which an SACD and/or DVD-A release is announced and which I already have a MoFi or DCC of on a case-by-case basis. For instance, I'm hanging on to my DCC Hotel California despite buying the DVD-A because I'm very disappointed with the DVD-A's poor reproduction of the album's liner notes (which are nicely done on the DCC). The famous photograph in the hotel lobby is severely cropped. I can still remember my high school chemistry teacher talking about the mythology of that photo (is that Satan in the balcony?).

I sense there are going to be quite a few such cases to comparatively evaluate before maybe selling the gold, what with so many labels that were MoFi licensing-friendly now being part of UMG which is 'supporting' both hi rez formats.

-p

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
It is possible, depending on content that all of this would be on a single DVD disc, depending on video running time.
I doubt the 'Classic Album' DVD material would be included. It's a full 90-minute disc, and royalties and fees are involved, which would make the DVD-A more expensive for everyone.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
And yet they're including something along those lines with the SACD.

What's true for one, is true for the other.

Regards,

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
And yet they're including something along those lines with the SACD.
Not with the regular SACD, only the "super-deluxe" SACD box.

I do not expect the regular DVD-A to include the DVD content (90 minutes including bonus interviews), but of course they might do a separate-SKU deluxe box for the DVD-A as well.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Now which to get, the DVD-Audio or the SACD. It again boils down to which way the master was created... in PCM or DSD.

Anyone know for sure??

Dan

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Racheal,

It will sound best in native PCM.

I don't doubt that it can sound very good, it's been done before and will be done again. The initial capture, regardless of format, will be the biggest limiting factor in the product that is ultimately delivererd to the consumer.

Regards,

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
John, it's a really good sounding SACD. It might very well pass for DSD recorded with most folks? I'm sure that you're right in theoretical sense that it could sound better staying PCM, but in a practical sense it's proably not that important if the end product is DVD-A or SACD. The other factors: mastering, mixing, editing, ect, ect, proably outweigh any very slight sound quality advantage one way or the other. I think most listeners wouldn't have premium enough playback equipment to tell one way or the other anyway if it was even possible, perceptable.

I'd say this is the one of the best sounding Universal SACD's I've heard yet, proably the best. Some of their early stuff was purr-dy lacklustre but they seem to be getting it together.

It'll be curious when they have a bunch of dual SACD and DVD-A stuff out in the near future. Best wishes!:)

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
It might very well pass for DSD recorded with most folks? I'm sure that you're right in theoretical sense that it could sound better staying PCM, but in a practical sense it's proably not that important if the end product is DVD-A or SACD. The other factors: mastering, mixing, editing, ect, ect, proably outweigh any very slight sound quality advantage one way or the other. I think most listeners wouldn't have premium enough playback equipment to tell one way or the other anyway if it was even possible, perceptable.
Amen, Rachael.

-p

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
OLD THREAD.

this week best buy has the deluxe version on sale for $20.
i picked up the version with the dvd, non deluxe and took it to the counter.
it rang up at 27.99 so i showed him the ad and said shouldnt this be 20?
so he changed the price to 20.

so from this thread it looks like this is exacly the same as the deluxe editition with a dvd added in. right?

FeisalK

Screenwriter
anyone notice that the song numbers on the player go to 9, 10 and so on instead of starting over at 1 and 2 when playing the second disc? Unfortunately the printed song list starts over at 1 :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks