What's new

Paramount+ Elsbeth (Good Wife spinoff - CBS) (1 Viewer)

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
I believe the original plan was to air three new episodes in a row: Last Thursday, March 7th, and March 14th. But when this Thursday's episode was bumped for the State of the Union address, they decided to hold off until April.

I believe the original plan was to air three new episodes in a row: Last Thursday, March 7th, and March 14th. But when this Thursday's episode was bumped for the State of the Union address, they decided to hold off until April.
As I wrote, "subject to change." When I sent the post two sources said March 14 (one still does) but neither had March 7 so it all depends when they get new info and update their sites.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I just watched the pilot. As mentioned in interviews, they are definitely going for a Columbo formula for the mysteries. It has been so long since that was on, it is a nice change of pace from everything else. Elsbeth is definitely a good character to play that part.

I was quite surprised by the tag which revealed that she is there to find out if the captain is corrupt. At the moment I don't think he is. As Adam mentioned above that will probably be a slow burn. I wouldn't be surprised if there are some red herrings indicating that there is something wrong with him, but ultimately Elsbeth will find the truth. (And given the producers of the show, it does make sense that there is more going on than only a week to week procedural.)

The really nice part about the Columbo formula is that on other mysteries, you suspect the name guest star as being the murderer and it usually turns out to be true. Here you know for certain right from the start and get to see the battle of wits between that character and Elsbeth.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
WaPo has review of Elsbeth based on the first three episodes released to critics. In summary, it's non-political escapism -- more Poker Face than The Good Fight in my interpretation.

Some quotes in spoilers, because the review comments directly on the political themes of The Good Wife and The Good Fight, and I'm trying to walk the line of HTF's no-politics rule while quoting from a review on shows that are overtly political. :)

And surprising, given Michelle and Robert King’s previous projects, which famously grappled with the urgent controversies of the day. “The Good Wife” featured many cases and ethical quandaries clearly drawn from real-life events; the finale of the first season dealt with police corruption, specifically. “The Good Fight” was a years-long effort to address the ethical and philosophical challenges of the Donald Trump presidency. They weren’t all home runs, but there’s a pattern here of bold and even risky engagement, filtered though it was through cynical lawyers and politicians.

“Elsbeth,” by contrast (in the episodes made available to critics, anyway), is charming escapism.

The series’s approach feels nostalgic, pitched to a world where George Floyd (and Amadou Diallo and Eric Garner) never died and where the movements (and backlashes) sparked by those deaths never happened. Despite the ostensibly adversarial relationship between Tascioni and the NYPD she’s there to monitor, the show confines itself mostly to the uncomplicated joys of detecting and exposing murderers, usually through a wholesome collaboration between Tascioni and Blanke.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Just saw in my FB feed -"We’ve got a SUPERSIZED surprise!
🎉
Two Elsbeth episodes in one night
✌️
Mark your calendars for Thursday, April 4 at 9/8c on CBS!"

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
What a weird launch strategy: release the first episode, and the let everyone forget about the show with a month gap before the second episode.

Why didn’t CBS / Paramount just wait until April to launch the series?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I certainly didn't understand why they didn't air a new episode last night. The rest of CBS' Thursday lineup all featured new episodes.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I certainly didn't understand why they didn't air a new episode last night. The rest of CBS' Thursday lineup all featured new episodes.
"They have a plan."

Maybe their airing and promotion plan will make more sense in April.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
They said that there would be some Behind the Scenes with the repeat of the pilot. I skimmed through it on FF and saw a brief clip. They said it was all on Instagram. And here it is.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Having adored the character through all of her exploits on The Good Wife and The Good Fight, this news which I read earlier this afternoon could haven't made me happier.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It was a long week and I was drifting off at moments watching Elsbeth last night. It’s very low-stakes Poker Face with exceptionally incompetent murderers and fantastically bad detectives.

Which is not to say Elsbeth isn’t a fun show. But the fun is 110% in the characters and not really on the increasingly flimsy plots.

And with how overwrought and high-stakes The Good Fight was in its final season, it’s ok having some easy fun in the Good-o-verse.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks