El norte (The North): Wouldn't a DVD be great?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Patrick McCart, Nov 9, 2004.

1. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I recently had the fortune of seeing El norte in one of my college Spanish classes... what a fantastic film. However, it seems that the VHS tape went out of print a long time ago and a horrible DVD is around in a few other regions.

El norte is really a fantastic human drama... and it's really an epic story.

Anyone else a fan of the movie and would like to see it on DVD? Also, for those who own the DVD that was released in the UK and elsewhere, how horrible is it?

2. Tim_C

Tim_C Stunt Coordinator

I would certainly like to see a DVD of it, though I've never actually seen the movie. I've read many great things about from many different sources but have never been able to track it down.

3. Dennis Pagoulatos

Dennis Pagoulatos Supporting Actor

Dennis
    Saw it back in college in an international studies class...great and powerful film. I would love to see it on DVD as I have not seen it since the crappy VHS presentation in class 11 or 12 years ago!

-Dennis

4. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    I've put this title into probably a half-dozen threads here at HTF during the past few years and there is always agreement that it should be out on DVD, but whoever owns it either does not share that view or can't clear all of the rights. A real shame.

5. Brian PB

Brian PB Supporting Actor

I saw it in college during its initial release & really liked it. I agree that a DVD is long overdue. Unfortunately (from my standpoint), it appears that Artisan may hold the rights (Amazon says that "CBS Fox" released the OOP VHS tape). It's frustrating to me that, given the volume of trashy movies Artisan is content to release on DVD, they haven't seen fit to release this excellent small, indie film. Pity.

6. MarcusUdeh

MarcusUdeh Supporting Actor

I saw this movie during high school and was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. If you want this title on DVD, write to Lions Gate. I am sure director Gregory Nava would jump at the chance for an exquisite quality release.

7. Geremia P.

Geremia P. Stunt Coordinator

I guess I'm the only one who watched this one at home. [​IMG]

...but I still loved it.

8. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

There hasn't been a UK release, as far as I know. Selena is the only Nava film on DVD in the UK.

But it is available in Australia with an awful transfer: http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/Reviews...ws.asp?ID=3141

The Haunting of M (1980), directed by Nava's wife, Anna Thomas and shot by Nava is also a brilliant film - the cinematography by Nava is stunning - and I'd love to see it on DVD.

El Norte is long overdue on DVD in the USA. Criterion?