What's new

Eight is Enough (1 Viewer)

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hank
It would be if it were Universal. It seems like everything they do has to have some sort of a theatrical tie-in. Equalizer coming, so is a movie version. Tales of the Gold Monkey? Oh, they'll try to tie it to the new Indiana Jones movie.

Jon Baker

Second Unit
Has there been any word on the release of this show? Any news from the discussions with studios? I'm hoping this makes it's debut while Dick Van Patten is still alive for commentary.

TV_Fan

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris H
The news from Warner Brothers last chat is that it's not being released anytime soon due to "fixed costs".

Jon Baker

Second Unit
Originally Posted by TV_Fan

The news from Warner Brothers last chat is that it's not being released anytime soon due to "fixed costs".

What exactly does that mean, and why would the cost of this show be any different from those already released? Warner did manage to release the 2-Part Christmas episode of their TV Christmas compilation DVD last year.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Originally Posted by Jon Baker

What exactly does that mean, and why would the cost of this show be any different from those already released? Warner did manage to release the 2-Part Christmas episode of their TV Christmas compilation DVD last year.

It's either the shape of the master negatives and/or rights issues. Might have been worth the trouble to release the Christmas episodes,but cost prohibitive to do seasons.

Jon Baker

Second Unit
Originally Posted by DeWilson

It's either the shape of the master negatives and/or rights issues. Might have been worth the trouble to release the Christmas episodes,but cost prohibitive to do seasons.

With the amount of bombs a multi-billion dollar studio releases in theatres it amazes me they would scrimp on putting money toward releasing a classic TV series. How much would releasing seasons cost them anyhow? Wouldn't they make the money up in sales?

ThatDonGuy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Don Del Grande
The Christmas episode originally aired as a 2-hour TV-movie; maybe they feel that makes a difference. (Then again, I'm a little surprised they didn't release the "sequel" as well - Tom and Abby's first anniversary, where Nicholas runs away when he sees a newspaper photo of the robber from the Christmas episode.)

Could one of the problems in releasing the series be Ralph Macchio? Maybe he doesn't want people seeing him in his pre-Karate Kid days...

(Or, could the Diana Hyland estate have something to do with it? She wasn't in that Christmas episode.)

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Originally Posted by ThatDonGuy

If I remember correctly, he was in just the pilot (which originally ran for two hours, but aired in syndication as one hour). There were a couple of other cast differences in just the pilot (I don't think Willie Aames was Tommy, and I think somebody besides Dianne Kay was Nancy). I think the only person in the first season but not after that was Diana Hyland.

The Christmas episode originally aired as a 2-hour TV-movie; maybe they feel that makes a difference. (Then again, I'm a little surprised they didn't release the "sequel" as well - Tom and Abby's first anniversary, where Nicholas runs away when he sees a newspaper photo of the robber from the Christmas episode.)

Could one of the problems in releasing the series be Ralph Macchio? Maybe he doesn't want people seeing him in his pre-Karate Kid days...

(Or, could the Diana Hyland estate have something to do with it? She wasn't in that Christmas episode.)

Nah, there's nothing embarrassing about Ralph's 8isE days, and anyway he wouldn't have enough clout to actually stop a home video release. And I doubt Diana's family would want their mother's work presented to the public once again.

I thought 8isE would have been a no-brainer for dvd when the studios started going crazy releasing all the oldies, circa 2003. But no, no. I think this is one of those semi-forgotten b-list shows that just hasn't made the constant rounds of syndication in order to keep its existence in front of the public eye. I felt that "Family" was in the same boat but that show got at least one season (and maybe it'll get MODs for more).

Well I did like this show, except for Nicholas. Gah--that kid. Yikes. I really didn't like that kid. I think he was a member of the Robbie Rist Actors' Guild--the union that you can only join if you're a creepy-looking child that grown-ups find amusing and that other kids totally hate! Yes, they also form a trifecta with Johnnie Whittaker and that dumb kid who was in "Mame." I know I was more or less the same age as these kids and was supposed to be able to identify with them while watching these shows--instead, the exact opposite happened, and as a kid tv watcher I tended to avoid anything that these guys (and a few more) were on. I think casting directors are a little more careful these days, and you get kids who are easier to watch, like the Freddie Highmores of the world. But the 90s did give us those extra-creepy kids like the one from Jerry Maguire and young Anakin Skywalker. And the fact that they all grew up to look like train wrecks is also telling. I actually met Adam Rich once and he was smoking a cigarette and pissed off about something or other. I didn't go near him...

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
The legal problems mentioned in the past I believe are connceted with the fact that the series was originally a book by columnist Tom Braden (the original "From the left" co-host of CNN's "Crossfire" with Pat Buchanan) about his own family (the structure of the family is exactly that of real-life Tom and Joan Braden) and there may have been some matters of whether a video release would mean more earnings for the Braden estate (he's passed away in the last couple years since that Warner chat).

Jon Baker

Second Unit
Originally Posted by Ethan Riley

Nah, there's nothing embarrassing about Ralph's 8isE days, and anyway he wouldn't have enough clout to actually stop a home video release. And I doubt Diana's family would want their mother's work presented to the public once again.

I thought 8isE would have been a no-brainer for dvd when the studios started going crazy releasing all the oldies, circa 2003. But no, no. I think this is one of those semi-forgotten b-list shows that just hasn't made the constant rounds of syndication in order to keep its existence in front of the public eye. I felt that "Family" was in the same boat but that show got at least one season (and maybe it'll get MODs for more).

Well I did like this show, except for Nicholas. Gah--that kid. Yikes. I really didn't like that kid. I think he was a member of the Robbie Rist Actors' Guild--the union that you can only join if you're a creepy-looking child that grown-ups find amusing and that other kids totally hate! Yes, they also form a trifecta with Johnnie Whittaker and that dumb kid who was in "Mame." I know I was more or less the same age as these kids and was supposed to be able to identify with them while watching these shows--instead, the exact opposite happened, and as a kid tv watcher I tended to avoid anything that these guys (and a few more) were on. I think casting directors are a little more careful these days, and you get kids who are easier to watch, like the Freddie Highmores of the world. But the 90s did give us those extra-creepy kids like the one from Jerry Maguire and young Anakin Skywalker. And the fact that they all grew up to look like train wrecks is also telling. I actually met Adam Rich once and he was smoking a cigarette and pissed off about something or other. I didn't go near him...

I thought Eight is Enough was a more popular show than "Family" and definitely deserves more attention. I wish that Warner Bros would give us a more precise answer as to why this hasn't been released. Again, most of the cast is still around and would probably be available for commentary.

How long ago did you meet Adam Rich?

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley

I thought Eight is Enough was a more popular show than "Family" and definitely deserves more attention. I wish that Warner Bros would give us a more precise answer as to why this hasn't been released. Again, most of the cast is still around and would probably be available for commentary.

How long ago did you meet Adam Rich?

A Halloween party, circa 1991. Interestingly, the two of us were the only ones who didn't dress up lol

snoopsister

Auditioning
Real Name
cindi benson
Does anyone know what Dianne kay is up to? She was goregous and I heard a very sweet lady

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
It is surprising that shows like family, family ties, growing pains, eight is enough, etc do not spike interest with people. Today's society has seem to forgot the importance of family.

mrmike898

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael Wagner
All 9 episodes that comprise Season One of Eight Is Enough are now available for digital purchase through Amazon Instant Video. Hopefully, this is a sign that Warner Archive is considering making this available as a MOD release or, even better, a retail release. This proved true for Growing Pains Season Two, but not for Alice Season One, George Lopez Season Two, etc... So, who knows...

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
mrmike898 said:
All 9 episodes that comprise Season One of Eight Is Enough are now available for digital purchase through Amazon Instant Video. Hopefully, this is a sign that Warner Archive is considering making this available as a MOD release or, even better, a retail release. This proved true for Growing Pains Season Two, but not for Alice Season One, George Lopez Season Two, etc... So, who knows...
Not familiar with this system. How does it work? Do you download it to your computer and then burn to a DVD?

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
No, it's another stream feature. Amazon Prime members can watch these for nothing. Hawaii FIve-O S12 is also up in this format and that also indicates a release is near. This kind of feature I think seems to fit the pattern of a "rental" in which maybe for a couple dollars you can watch an episode and then decide if it's worth purchasing the whole set on DVD if it's already released that way.

Jon Baker

Second Unit
The show's first season will be released on DVD April 17th. The first season only contains 9 episodes, but I hope it sells well enough for Warner to release the subsequent seasons. Does anyone know if there will be any extras?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks