What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Eels - Blinking Lights and Other Revelations (1 Viewer)

DustinTaj

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dustin
I'm surprised no one's made a post yet. Did anyone pick this album up last week? It's a GREAT album. Although I think Electro Shock Blues was still the best album they put out (and arguable one of the best CD's ever), this one is a close second. It's a concept album and tells a good story. Some of it's sad, some of it's happy, and some is just insightful.

I recommend everyone check it out.

-DD

728x90

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
I'm ashamed to say, no I haven't gotten this yet. I did sample some of the new stuff though and loved it.

My Favorite: Beautiful Freak.. I love Eels

DustinTaj

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dustin
RUN, don't walk, and pick this up. It has got to be one of the best of 2005. I've read nothing but great reviews.

There aren't enough good "albums" anymore. There are albums that have good songs or a good song, but not many albums that flow well from beginning to end with a coherent theme or story. This album, I'm glad to say, did not disappoint in that regard. It is a concept album and a nice listen.

-DD

Justin_P

Stunt Coordinator
I'm a huge fan of eels, and I think what I've heard of the new album is great. I haven't actually gotten all the way through it yet. I had a lame experience the night this came out that had a bizarre buzzkill effect on the whole thing:

I went with a bunch fellow eels fans to pick it up at midnight at a prominent independent record store in Seattle (I won't say the name, but let's say it's located on Easy Street). This place had a huge eels promotion going for the last album, and this sort of record is their bread and butter, so of course they would be our first choice for a midnight release party, right? I mean, we're helping the little guy, both by buying the album and by buying it from an independent store. So, as midnight approaches they bring out the new stuff. Springsteen? Check. New Order? Check. Ben Folds? Check. Eels? Eels? No eels. None. Nada. So this guy asked the girl who was unboxing the new stuff, and she gave him the blankest stare since... well, ever. Then she got pissed off and left. Then she started bitching behind the counter about how she was the victim of the evil customer's wrath and how the universe had somehow wronged her. I mean it was no one's fault, it just sucked. Everyone was bummed out. Weird. Needless to say, we bolted over to Tower Records, who also stay open until midnight on Mondays for new releases, but they had JUST locked up.

Anyway, the whole thing had a weird effect on me. The extra 13 hours (I know, cry me a river) I had to wait to get the album drained the anticipation and replaced it with a sense of entitlement. By the time I got the disc the next afternoon, I felt like not listening to it as if that would somehow punish the poor thing for eluding me the night before.

I've been pecking away at it a little at a time ever since and think it's great, though.

I know, I'm weird.

Justin

Stu Rosen

Second Unit
It's definitely an album that gathers force over its duration - it's better listened to as an album rather than by picking out the key songs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.