What's new

Ed - 11/5/2003 (1 Viewer)

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Ugh. This was easily the worst episode of the season. It was 95% un-fun to watch relationship stuff with Ed and Carol and Molly and "Biff". Even the legal case was boring and had a lame pay-off that should have Ed facing wrongful imprisonment charges. Yawn. It was like a Ross and Rachel heavy episode of Friends. I hope this mess is all played out by the end of sweeps. It's like they are chumming for the sharks getting ready to jump.

The only highlights were Dr. Mike working on a new best friend and a nice gesture by the Stuckey-boss to his employees that I hope comes back to bite him in the next episode.

P.S. Will a kindly moderator please revise the date on the thread title to 11/5 - Thanks

Regards,

Mike Brogan

Second Unit
This whole season has been pretty weak but I agree, this was the weakest. Too much, will they or won't they? You're right about the case too, I don't even know why they bothered.

Maybe they'll sue Ed for ownership of Stuckey Bowl and he'll have to rent out his law office from them.

Brett_H

Second Unit
I just watched this one last night.

Here we go. Again. Somewhere there's a rule for the "Ed" writers that says E&C have to be in some sort of will they/won't they situation at ALL TIMES. Why can't they just leave well enough alone? Get back to them all living their lives, let E&C become just another normal couple like Mike & Nancy. I know this whole NY thing will probably blow over by the end of the sweeps period, but it just gets annoying.

What did I like?

Mike Burton deserves an emmy. (OK, well, the actor that plays him does, I just can't recall his name right now) I was cracking up and yet at the same time felt so sorry for him as he tried to find another buddy to hang out with. Such a great performance from him.
Molly's back on the scene, again. I guess playing video games and watching reruns on the couch with Biff just didn't do it for her and I can't say that I'd blame her.
The handling of Stuckeybowl was creative, and it will be interesting to see how that all works when Ed comes back. Like Mike said above, maybe he'll have to rent it from them?

All in all, I'm looking forward to the time when the gang's all back in Stuckeyville.

-Brett.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I dozed off trying to watch this episode last night. I'll try again this weekend.

(thread title amended as requested.)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I liked how Ed's court case parallelled his relationship with Carol, and how the 2 resolutions was to let the other one go (for the time being).

Overall, while a bit somber (as goodbyes go), still some good comedic mileage was achieves (Mike should get an Emmy for some of the work he does on the show).

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
I saw Tom Wilson (herein referred to as "Biff") at the Denver International Airport about two weeks ago. As he walked past me at a distance of about 4 ft, I thought of the following things to say to him:

• Ask him to do a "Hello! McFly!" noogie on your head.
• Tell him that "Freaks and Geeks" is probably your favorite show of all time and then call him a "butt patter".
• Ask him what the hell they're doing with his "Ed" character.

I didn't say anything to him. :frowning:

I did like looking at Julie Bowen's ass when she climbed on the bed. Otherwise, I agree with the overall sentiment that this episode put the Ed/Carol conflict thing way over the top - and the previews suggest it's still climbing.

Brad

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
So...does this mean that Ed works for Eli, Phil and Shirley, or just co-opts his office at the bowling alley now?

Mike Brogan

Second Unit
So...does this mean that Ed works for Eli, Phil and Shirley, or just co-opts his office at the bowling alley now?
I would guess, if anything, Ed would just have to rent out the law office while they retained ownership of the bowling alley. I hope this happens, because I can see Phil exploiting "Bossco's" new position to the nth degree. But who knows, they may not even address it in the future. I guess we'll find out Wednesday.

If it were me, I'd bring back Kenny (Mike Starr) from the first season. Some how he finds out about Ed giving ownership to Eli, Phil, and Shirley. And since he worked there for a long while (at least as long as Eli) he feels cheated. So he comes back to sue for his cut (hell, may as well throw in Rena Sofer as his lawyer) and ends up staying on the show. Of course that's just coming from someone who misses the Kenny character.

Wishful thinking I guess.

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
Somewhere there's a rule for the "Ed" writers that says E&C have to be in some sort of will they/won't they situation at ALL TIMES. Why can't they just leave well enough alone? Get back to them all living their lives, let E&C become just another normal couple like Mike & Nancy.
Amen, brother. I posted something similar a week or two ago. The writers seem to be working too hard to keep up conflict or something to make Ed and Carol "interesting."

It's similar to what ruined "Party of Five" for me. What started out as a well-written show with believable characters who grew and changed morphed into an episodic soap opera with drama for drama's sake.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
the first law of tv: when the main characters finally get together, the show will inevitably jump the shark....

when will the writers learn this?

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
the first law of tv: when the main characters finally get together, the show will inevitably jump the shark....

when will the writers learn this?
Yeah, I know. When Lucy finally gave in to Desi, it was the end of the road. :)

Seriously, though, as many episodes as they hung on the framework of Ed's pining for Carol, the show is set up at this point so it could still work with them as a couple. Unfortunately, the writers feel compelled to make some sweeps months episodes all about awkward contrivances to pull them apart. It's like they are going to start making the bad show that we see in the promos every week rather then good show we would be relieved to see has little to do with the promo.

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks