What's new

Ed - 11/13/02 (1 Viewer)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Well, I was thinking more on how Chandler & Monica getting married didn't seem to hurt anything. I haven't watched "Ed" in about a year, so I can't really comment on what's been going on lately.

Based upon what I've seen, though, I think it might actually be a better show if the writers just went the "get it over with" route. Ed and Carol are fun to watch together, whereas the circumstances keeping them apart always seemed contrived. The producers just have to put as much thought (or, ideally, more) into how an "Ed & Carol" show would work as they originally did into "Ed pining for Carol".

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
But we all know that Jennifer (Kelly Ripa) is only around for Sweeps Month, so there's no convincing the "informed" audience that Ed really has 2 viable alternatives in his romantic love life.

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
What's frustrating about Ed is the fallacy that Ed and Carol are only interesting as a "wannabe" couple. I think the writers are fantastic, and have shown a deft hand with many tricky situations (the season 2 opener and Carol's then-reasons for not wanting to date Ed, fer instance).
However, I think there is a lot of character growth and quirky Ed humor to be wrung from Ed and Carol actually being a couple. It's one thing to pine for the girl of your dreams - it's quite another to actually get her.
And, as I said in last week's thread, I think the show should have a definite 5 year run, so the writers can do some overall story arc planning and stop being so back and forth.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Did anyone else think initially that Warren popped his cork prematurely when he was with Stella, and that was the real reason he was back-pedalling? :D

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
You don't need a definite run length and "overall story arc planning" to avoid being "back-and-forth", though. I've said before and I'll say it again: The best trait for someone running a television program isn't long-term planning, but adaptability.

Actors will become unavabilable. Actresses will get pregnant. A lead will show more chemistry with a supporting/guest actor than the other lead. A real-world event will make changes necessary. You'll have a new idea that's better than the plan you made two years ago. And the network goons will have notes.

So, is the sexual tension becoming mere frustration? Make a change. Just remember to put as much thought into the change as you did into the original situation; do it because it seems logical, not out of desperation.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I think that might be a function of the difference between US and UK television, though
You are no doubt correct. And one big difference is that many sitcom series in the UK (other than soaps and “The Bill’) are not expected to last as many years as in the U.S. True many go on, but the ones that we (or at least I) consider really funny last 2–5 years.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Jennifer's (Kelly Ripa) speech to Ed about her being OK with two options was amazing. At that point, I was yelling at the screen, "Forget Carol! Take Jennifer!"
Kelly Ripa doesn't do much for me at all. I'll be glad when her three week stint is up. Now if they want to bring back Rena Sofer...
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I thought this was a great, great episode - maybe "Ed"'s best ever.
The wedding played out much differently than I expected. I actually was shocked to find myself liking Dennis for the first time since his character was introduced (the pie scene)! I think this was pretty gutsy of the writers to do this in what I presume will be the character's final episode. It would have been easy to have us all cheering as the "bad guy" slinked offstage. But this is now a situation in which everyone got hurt, and Carol's going to have to confront her feelings & actions that led to this mess head on.
Warren's storyline was great from beginning to end. I loved his easy chemistry with Stella, his conversation with Eli, the song they did for Carol, and his maturity at the moment of truth.
And when Ed had his moment of truth, he did the same thing. He showed restraint & maturity. Nice job by the writers by letting both of Stuckeyville's boys grow up a bit.
I was glad to see Dan Lauria back as Carol's father. I hope they continue to bring him back. And BTW, they can NOT have Stella on the show too much. Yowza!!!
And finally, I'm surprised no one's mentioned perhaps the BEST thing about this episode: no Phil!! ;)

Brent_H

Second Unit
Craig! You dont like Phil?? I think he is great! Yeah he is kind of annoying at times, but some of his quirks are just hilarious.. :)
~Brent

Michael*K

Screenwriter
I don't think there's a character on the show that brings out emotions at such opposite ends of the spectrum as Phil does. Place me on the side of the people that think he's hilarious.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I don't really hate Phil (see the winkie in my post), but he's been slagged so much in previous "Ed" threads I really was surprised his absence wasn't mentioned previously.

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
Kelly Ripa doesn't do much for me at all. I'll be glad when her three week stint is up. Now if they want to bring back Rena Sofer...
I was talking personality of the character only. Rena Sofer was definitely far hotter than Kelly Ripa, but Ripa's character seems a much better match for Ed.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The Rena Sofer character had that antagonist lawyer streak going for her since she was on the prosecution side, and Ed's usually on the defense side.

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
The Rena Sofer character had that antagonist lawyer streak going for her since she was on the prosecution side, and Ed's usually on the defense side.
There was that, but I was referring more to her personal interactions with Ed. She was very secretive, not overly demonstrative of her affection for him, seemed very "serious" about her career, etc. Bonnie/Rena, whilst definitely FAR hotter than Jennifer/Kelly, just wasn't as good a match.

If you think about it, Bonnie Hane's personality actually mirrors Dennis Martino's - cold, sarcastic, and very closed.

Thomas H G

Screenwriter
Rena Sofer is a total babe and would not be opposed to having her back. I'd give her a slight edge in total hotness over Carol.
My roomate and I - acting like geeks -- yelled out "STELLA!" like Elaine did on Seinfeld. Geeky thing was that it was simultaneous. :frowning:
As for the character Phil:
Sometimes I laugh, sometimes I want to punch him.
Warren is a stronger man than I. Or is he just dumber for passing on that? I'll say dumber to help my self esteem.
How old is Kelly Ripa? M-I-L-F

Jeremy Illingworth

Supporting Actor
I can't believe anyone likes Warren. He's much better than last year but I really dislike him.

jeremy

And way to go Ed with the restraint and maturity.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks