Ed - 11/13/02

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brent_H, Nov 12, 2002.

1. Brent_H

Brent_H Second Unit

Is everyone else as pumped for this episode as I am?? I am hoping for this to be the BEST Ed yet...I hope I'm not let down. The last good one was the season finale last year...WOW. Anyways, I can't WAIT until tomorrow night!

~Brent

2. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Geez, I saw this thread and thought I'd lost my mind. It's only the 12th! [​IMG]
    I'll be happy to (hopefully) see that sourpuss Dennis put in his place and out of the picture.

3. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

I think Dennis will be around for a while.
    I read on the message board of that Stuckyville site that Jessica is coming back this season. [​IMG]
    ~T

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Woo Hoo!

Principal Jackass is outtathere!

5. Brent_H

Brent_H Second Unit

Patrick, ya wanna merge the two Ed threads......one is already started for tonights episode [​IMG]
    Yay! totally not what was expected! I like it this way......but do ya really think Ed and Carol will finally hook up? no, i doubt it.....

6. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Doh! Threads merged.

Glad to see a few people with a backbone in this episode.

But...Cheswick: Never pass up on a sure thing!

7. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

The whole scene with Warren trying to pick out the perfect "raincoat" reminded me of the epsiode where he and Mark are in a drugstore looking for rubbers and Mark points out a brand and tells Warren to buy them because "they're the ones Jeff Goldblum uses." Great marketing. And then the drug store cashier calls for a price check causing Warren to have a heart attack. But it was a toothbrush she needed the price for. [​IMG]
    Don't think we should have to use spoiler tags in here, but in case someone jumped the gun and read this thread before wathcing the show (tsk,tsk), I'm glad to see Dennis out of the picture.

8. Thomas H G

Thomas H G Screenwriter

Definetly didn't think the wedding would go down that way! It's still sad to see that Carol doesn't get it through her head. Stupid girls...always wanting the "bad boy".

P.s. Jessica as in Jessica Martell?

9. Trenton McNeil

Trenton McNeil Second Unit

Would the show survive with them together?

10. Thomas H G

Thomas H G Screenwriter

I think the show ends (series wise) when they get together.

11. Brent_H

Brent_H Second Unit

sad as it is, you;re right. as much as I want Ed and Carol together, I would rahter seem them not, for the sake of the show continuing.......but how can they NOT get together now?!?! oh well.....

12. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

They could go "on a break." It seemed to work for Ross and Rachel. [​IMG]

13. Roberto Carlo

Roberto Carlo Second Unit

14. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Carol will not instantly pursue a relationship with Ed (it'll be too early for her to pour her heart into another relationship after PJ left her at the altar), that how they will string us viewers along for the rest of the season.

Ed was right in backing off and allowing Carol to sit there to be consoled by her dad. Any "move" he'd try to make at that particular time would have made Carol not trust his motives one bit anymore.

I want to see more of Stella!

Someone elsewhere wrote this funny bit of spoilers for this episode:

Ed goes over Dennis' house before the wedding. Dennis is making scrambled eggs. They start yelling at each other and begin fighting. Dennis sprays Raid in Ed's eyes, but Ed beats him down and strangles him. Ed then calls Dr. Mike for assistance, "Mike, ten bucks if you bleed out Dennis' corpse and take off his head and hands." A quick trip to Stuckeybowl for a bowling bag and no more Principal Jackass!

15. Michael Martin

Michael Martin Screenwriter

Last night's ep was a mixed bag for me.
    I thought the Ed part of the storyline was extremely well done. Tom Cavanaugh once again did a great job showing a wide range of emotions, both expressive and subtle. Two scenes really stood out:
    1. The scene where Carol comes to the bowling alley and tells Ed she needs him there.
    2. The scene where Ed comes by Carol's house to give her a pre-wedding gift.
    Both were full of nonverbal emotion, tension and more. Both illustrated how great the show can be at portraying the core story of the show.
    Molly and Carol had some great scenes together. Carol finally began to pull her head out of her ass when she realizes her friends think she's making a mistake marrying PJ!
    And hooray for the Return of Warren! Am I the only one who thinks Justin was robbed of an Emmy (or at least a nom)? His amazing comedic range and ability to show growth and maturation in the character are fantastic.
    I can't believe he turned Stella down!!
    And now for the part I didn't care for much. The episode was the first one in a loooong time where I actually had some sympathy for Dennis. His "pie gesture" was extremely touching, as was his declaration of love for Carol. Most women I know would have been deeply moved by such actions and speech.
    This was the wrong episode to try and instill any audience sympathy for Dennis. It made the episode a lot less enjoyable for me.
    And Dennis' sulking at the family get together was quite juvenile. They showed his brother following him into the kitchen - wonder if the conversation was filmed (or at least scripted) but cut for time?
    Carol's denial of looking for Ed was pathetic - Dennis knows she was, she knows was, and we know she was looking for him!
    And in the mixed bag department...Jennifer's (Kelly Ripa) speech to Ed about her being OK with two options was amazing. At that point, I was yelling at the screen, "Forget Carol! Take Jennifer!" Obviously a woman who loves and appreciates Ed and seems to be a great match! This is in the "mixed bag" department because it seems to be a tactical mistake on the writer's part to introduce someone so well suited to Ed at this point in the story.
    Next week looks to be interesting.

16. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

I'm glad that PJ was the one to call off the wedding because if Ed had succeeded in making a fool out of himself with the horse in Carol's eyes, she would never forgive Ed for his action, regardless of how grand (and self-serving) his gesture may be.

17. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

18. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

I liked this episode a lot.

I really thought Dennis and Carol would get married because I didn't see how they could handle Ed and Carol's relationship afterwards. Now it seems Carol will need some time away from a relationship, which will probably be at least a season.

Stella was great, but I was glad Warren didn't want to have sex with her. I want to see him lose his virginity to Jessica.

~T

19. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

20. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

I don’t really think so. In a ‘romance’, the audience knows immediately the pairing. It is presented as inevitable, no matter how much that they might despise each other.

In friends, I think that came later. For sure the first season had a lot of focus on Ross’ feelings for Rachel, and no doubt we were set up for future entanglements, but I never felt that their coupling was necessary. I really thought that the setup was Ross’ unrequited love, not inevitable love fulfilled. And as Roberto has observed, the Ross/Rachel thing is not central to ‘Friends’, but rather one of its subplots.

I do think that this is probably the way of ‘ED’—either Ed or Carol unavailable to the other for some reason. Right now Ed had a new (ok, old) girl, even before the non-marriage.