1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Dynamics - LP records.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Philip Hamm, Mar 11, 2002.

1. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I don't know if it's just me.
    Recently I've been recording a lot of my records to CD using the ADC in my Sony minidisc deck to convert to digital, then going optical into my computer.
    I've noticed that the dynamics of many of my records (mostly bought in the late 70's through early 90s) is extreme. When I see the WAV file in SoundForge it's obvious that the dynamics within each song are really MUCH more dramatic than most CDs. I know CDs typically use lots of audio compression, but it's very dramatic to see the difference with my own eyes in the WAV files. [​IMG]
    As a rule I do NOTHING to my WAV files once created except remove major pops and ticks from the vinyl if I can, and normalize the WAV file to 0dB.

2. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

3. Rick_Brown

Rick_Brown Second Unit

Do you mean that the album's producer has compressed the music or that the record company has forced this on him? Surely a big league producer, if he wanted a dynamic CD, could specify less compression when mastering? Is this a conspiracy or just the way modern producers produce?

4. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

5. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer