Paul McCartney - Chaos and Creation

Discussion in 'Music' started by Brian L, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Any question about my views on this one?

Lots of anticipation for this one at certain other sites, but I was not really expecting anything great, not having purchased a new Macca LP since...well, never I guess, although I do have a recently purchased Ram and Band on the Run in the collection.

But then I started reading all kinds of positive reviews, and they all seemed to say that this was among Paul's best solo work...EVER. Now, for me, critical acclaim for a pop record is normally like Kryptonite. The louder the critical buzz, the less I like the band (for reference, see early releases by the White Stripes).

OK. Enough of my blathering. This is an incredible CD. If you are looking for a rocking record, this ain't it, but it is some of the nicest, most well recorded music I have heard in a long, long time.

Its sonics will not be confused with a new Steely Dan release, but while those records can sound almost too perfect and in fact, antiseptic, Macca's work here sounds as close to analog is I can imagine coming from a CD.

It sounds dynamic, and not at all bright, harsh, or compressed. Someone will probably publish a wave form putting the lie to all that, but in my room, my gear, my ears, its probably one of the best sounding pop releases I have heard in a long, long while.

Paul is in great voice, and his vocals are mixed upfront, dead center, and with very little if any processing. No lie; sitting dead nuts in the sweet spot, it sounds like Paul is in the room. Incredible sound.

I am not sure that there is any really new musical ground here, and there are a few echos to tunes from Paul's days with that other band he played in during the 60's(!), but I can forgive all that. Actually, what this music most reminds my of is if you took Wilco's "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot" and "Summerteeth", put them in a blender with Beck's "Sea Change", made it a little poppier, and had Paul handle the vocals.

One tip: After the last track plays, resist the temptation to stop the disc. About 20 seconds later begins what I guess are 3 studio out takes. The first is not that great, but the 2nd is a really cool sounding piano track, and last is some ambient noise that brings to mind some of the sonic mayhem in "A Day in the Life" mixed with "Tomorrow Never Knows" channelled through Wilco.

Putting all that aside, if this CD does not clean-up at the Grammies next year, I will be shocked.

Brian

Edit: Mods...feel free to edit the thread title so it won't look like I am a total doofus that does not know how to spell Chaos!

2. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Cinematographer

I hated most of Driving Rain so I was pleasantly suprised to find that C&C is fantastic--a few clunkers but mostly, it's fantastic--I love "Friends to Go."

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

thanks for the review! i may check this one out. also, i have a friend who may be selling his pair of tickets ... so i may actually get to see sir paul live! [​IMG]

4. matthewRaz

matthewRaz Stunt Coordinator

i bought this release mostly on the name of the producer (i listen to early mccartney and havent bought any of his recent stuff )
    nigel godrich produces all the radiohead stuff from ok computer on and recorded beck's sea change, divine comedy's regeneration and co-produced the last air album.
    best producer ever in my opinion.

5. John Milton

John Milton Second Unit

I also decided to buy this CD based on reading that the producer was the guy who worked on the Radiohead CD. I've always liked some of the McCartney songs I've heard but this is the first disc of his that I have purchased. I too think it's a great disc and I'm now thinking about purchasing Paul's earlier works.

6. AlexCremers

AlexCremers Second Unit

I also bought the CD because of the Radiohead's producer involvement. It sounds good, but is it really good? That's the question.

7. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Well Alex, let me answer that one for you![​IMG]

With the disclaimer that I am an old geezer (44...got Abbey Road when it was NEW!), who does not buy much new music by new bands because it all sucks both sonically and musically[​IMG], this CD is the best piece of new music I have purchased in recent memory.

I don't consider any of the tracks truly throw-aways, even "English Tea" has a certain Beatle-esque charm.

And the sonics are perfect for the type of music being presented. I have a dedicated 2CH rig, and sit dead nuts at the top of the triangle. Paul's vocals are front and center, bass and drums are center but back a way, and the various piano/guitar/string parts are beautifully spread around the front of the room. Bass is warm and full, with tonality taken straight off of Abbey Road. As I mentioned earlier, its very analog sounding, in that the top end is rolled off, but the mids, particularly Paul's vocals just float in air above the mix.

I bought this last Friday, and have played it end to end perhaps 6 times since then. I NEVER do that.

IMHO, AFAIK, YMMV........

Brian

8. Stu Rosen

Stu Rosen Second Unit

I'm not thrilled by the album - the melodies, usually his strongest point, sound like not-quite-complete first drafts - but I will say that for the first time since, Flowers in the Dirt, I guess, he sounds like he's trying. Some of it works, some of it doesn't, but it's an album I can see listening to occasionally.

9. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    Put me in the "love it" camp. Great to have Paul back in such fine form.

I picked up the set with the DVD, which contains 3 music videos, and a 30-minute documentary on the making of the album. The doc is pretty good, with several segments breaking down the individual songs. Well worth the extra coin for Macca fans.

10. kerrySan

kerrySan Extra

awesome review, worth a look

11. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

Holy shit. First off, I'm listening to this on my iPod with Sennheiser HD280 PRO headphones, and the sonics are AMAZING. I love the music as well.

12. Robin_B

Robin_B Stunt Coordinator

I haven't heard "Driving Rain" yet or the new one but I have "Flaming Pie" which I thought was a great album. I'll probably get both some time. I have all his other studio albums.

13. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Flaming Pie is one of his best, almost up there with "Band On The Run" IMO. "Driving Rain" is not as good IMO. I'm still deciding on the new one.

14. AlexCremers

AlexCremers Second Unit

I have decided: it's a pretty good album. 'Riding To Vanity Fair' is my current favorite song. Sonically, this album is freaking amazing.

15. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Good to hear some positive comments on the sonics. As for the music, you may like it, or you may not, but from where I am sitting, the sonics are pretty much unassailable.

There were a few posters over at Hoffman's (a very few!) that crapped all over the sonics, but for the life of me, I can not wrap my brain around where they are coming from.

Its not a freakin' AIX Records recording, nor is it Steely Dan. And its not meant to be either. But it just sounds right.

Brian

16. AlexCremers

AlexCremers Second Unit

I'm glad it doesn't, the Steely Dan of today sounds digital, sampled (as opposed to real), static and stiff (rhythmically).

17. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I love this new McCartney CD.

18. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

The CD "Band On The Run" is the one to get. It's his Masterpiece. His solo "Seargent Pepper". One of the few post-Beatle records by any of the four that measures up to their original catalog. Beautifully recorded. There's a Quadrophonic DTS CD that's stunning.

19. Josh Simpson

Josh Simpson Supporting Actor

Please refresh my memory. Can these be played in a regular dvd player with 5.1 DTS sound or does it have to have DVD audio outputs?

20. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Any DVD player will do, as long as you have a DTS decoder somewhere. Normally, that would be in your AVR, but if the player has 5.1 analog outs, that would work too.

By the way, anyone get the new Sound and Vision?

Not only do I totally despise the new format for its lack of published test data, but Ken Richardson pretty much panned C&C for both music and sonics.

FWIW, if Ken likes something, I normally hate it, and vis-a-versa. These are the same guys that wet themselves over the last U2. I do like HTDAAB for its music, but its a steaming pile of sonic excrement that does not belong on the same shelf as C&C. Oh well...

EDIT: My Bad. 3 stars for music, buy 4 for sonics. I need to learn to read! So, I'll give him a pass on the sonics (4 ain't bad), but not the lukewarm comments about the music.

Brian