DVP-NS500V Quality compared to System

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joe.Kuta, Jun 7, 2002.

1. Joe.Kuta

Joe.Kuta Stunt Coordinator

This is my setup:
    Mains: Axiom M3 or paradigm atom
    Center: Axiom vp100 or cc170
    Surrounds: Axiom M3 or paradigm atom
    Sub: HSU VTF-2 or SVS 25-31PCi
    Receiver: not sure yet, but around $500 for good quality (outlaw, denon, etc.)
    TV: 32" Panasonic CT-32SF36
    Is the DVP-NS500V a good DVD player for this setup, or would it not be able to compete (don't laugh if it would, i have no idea).
    I haven't found much info on the video performance of this player.
    I am aware of the bass management issues, etc., w/ SACD stereo.
    Also wanna dbl check, this dvd player will work w/ my tv right?

2. Joe.Kuta

i would consider getting a non-sacd player if i could get much better audio/video performance for a similar price.

3. Gregg Z

Gregg Z Stunt Coordinator

I've got the 500V and I'm much happier with it as a SACD player than I am as a DVD player (but I am blowing the image up to 8 feet wide).

If your primary concern is video performance, I'd consider the Panasonic RP-56, RP-62, RP-82 (avail Aug), or RP-91 (the last two also being DVD-A players as well). The Sony 500V and 700P both have the chroma bug.

If you must have SACD without sacrificing video, I'd consider buying 2 separate players; the Sony SCD-CE775 (5 disc multichannel SACD player) and the Panasonic RP-56. That combo would set you back about $400.

Personally, I'm going to hang on to the 500V to use as a SACD player and will probably get a RP-82 or RP-91 by the end of the year to use as my DVD player. Plus this setup will give me both SACD and DVD-A capability.

Gregg

4. Joe.Kuta

i'll have to read about this chroma bug.
    -how is the Panasonic RA60?
    -I wanted to note that my TV does not have component inputs, [​IMG] , how much of a difference is there b/t component and s-video (or rca, i heard s-video is better).
    /edit: found answer:
    s-video 20% better than composite
    component 25% better than composite
    So... it's ok, i guess [​IMG]
    -i posted in another thread asking the advantage of progressive scan (interlaced) w/ my TV?
    Tnx!