What's new

My 1st HT (help!) (1 Viewer)

dmbphan041

Auditioning
Real Name
Adam
OK, so I want to start investing and building my own HT. To start, here's a list of stuff that I've been told to go out and buy for my ~$5000 budget. (could change depending on recommendations)

TV - Panasonic 50" 1080p Viera plasma - TH-50PZ700U - $2207
Receiver - Onkyo TX-SR805 - $675
Front Speakers - Axiom M22 v2 - $470
Center - Axiom VP150 v2 - $408
Rears - Axiom M3 v2 - $330
Stands - Axiom FMS-16 (quantity of 4) - $392
Subwoofer - Hsu Research VTF2 Mk3 - $499
BR player- ps3 ~$500
Speaker wire - 100ft 16 Gauge Monoprice - $13.37
Subwoofer cable - 35ft High Quality 24k Gold plated Monoprice - $7.90
HDMI cables - 10ft HDMI 1.3a certified Monoprice (quantity 2) - $10.76

I was thinking, if I have the money I might change the TV to
Panasonic TH-50PZ800U. I've heard the Pioneer Kuro series is "the" TV right now, but it's way too much for this 20 year old to afford right now.

Also, for speakers, I've been looking at cnet (is that a reputable site around here?) and I was wondering, if instead of buying speakers seperatly I should invest in something like the KEF KHT-3005 package or maybe something simple like the Yamaha Digital Sound Projector YSP-1100 (black). At this point I dont really care about 5.1 vs 6.1 or 7.1, I just want something that won't be obsolete in a week and a half.

OR

should I just invest in a HTIB like the Onkyo HT-S990THX or something other HTIB.

Thanks in advance for all the forthcoming help. This is my first "big time purchase" and I wanna do it right.

Opinons are always welcome, good or bad. I'm slowly learning and want to do this right!:)

(also, I really, really help this is the right place to put a thread like this, if not please move it)

....I just realized (after posting this of course) that there's a section for DIY HT stuff, ah crap. (sorry)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
First, you are planning to spend 2K+ on a TV, while getting an HTiB?

NO!!!

On the original system. I'm sure it is fine, but here are 2 suggestions. Go ahead and get heavier speaker wire. Just get 12ga. The additional cost is minimal

Get a better sub. Something is wrong when you are putting as much into a BR player as the sub. go with HSU or SVS. Just get a better model.

Oh yeah, it look like you plan to put the rear speakers on stands. I would mount them to the wall, close to the ceiling. It is best if they are above ear level.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If you are going with a plasma, I assume you have some control over the light in the room (most plasmas have very reflective screens). Why not a projector? They are about the same price and you can get much larger than 50".

-Robert

dmbphan041

Auditioning
Real Name
Adam

this is going to be most likely for a college dorm/appartment that I probably wont stay in for longer than a year, maybe two max, so 50'' is kinda ridic as is. A projector would be the dream but I dont see that happening til I have my own place big enough for one.

hodedofome

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Smith
For $2200 for the tv you're better off with the 720p Pioneer Kuro vs the 1080p Panasonic. Trust me you won't tell the difference in resolution unless you sit 6ft away. My brother-in-law got the Kuro for $2k at Best Buy after a 10 or 15% coupon discount. It's amazing and you'll love it.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Personally I’d save the two grand until you are in a somewhat more permanent place. That is a lot of money to spend on a TV in a college dorm room. And if you don’t need to save spend it on the important things in college life: beer and coeds.

dmbphan041

Auditioning
Real Name
Adam

yea but see, the sweet HT attracts the chicks who bring the liquor, among other things.

hodedofome

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Smith
I didn't mention anything about your speakers/sub/receiver because I agree with the above poster that they are fine. Axiom makes some good stuff.

As for the sub, there's stuff that's probably "as good" and cheaper but I wouldn't consider it "better." However, how much are you really gonna be able to turn this thing up in a dorm room or apartment? Whether you get this Klipsch - 12" 650W Powered Subwoofer - SUB-12

or this Elemental Designs

or the VTF2 MK3 it's going to shake the walls and make you the hated tenant for sure. You won't be able to utilize even 1/2 the performance until you get a house. As for those 3 choices I just listed, the Elemental Design is going to give you the best performance however it's the ugliest sub ever with the finish it has. The Klipsch is an excellent sub at that price, but is not as deep as the HSU or ED. It sounds good (I have one) but you can do better with $100 more.

dmbphan041

Auditioning
Real Name
Adam
I'm wondering what TV to get. My top 3 right now are

Panasonic TH-50PZ800U
Pioneer PDP-5010FD
Mitsubishi LaserVue (when it comes out) (I was thinking I'd get the 50'' if they made it, then I found this: "The sets diagonals will range from 60” to 73” and cost between $1800 and $4700.)

hodedofome

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Smith
Can't speak for the laser tv's, they are promising but remember they are projection so they aren't a thin panel. I've seen all the plasma and lcd's out there, I can tell you that a 720p Pioneer Kuro beats them all, 1080p or not. Unless you plan on sitting less than 10ft away the base 720p Kuro is the way I would go. Find someone with a Best Buy rewards card that gets 10-12% off coupons for Best Buy regularly, you can get one for $2k. The video processor on the Kuros are good and even the 720p is sharp. You can go for the 1080p model but like I said unless you are sitting very close you are wasting money. It is a marketing deal to get folks spending more money on a feature they won't use. You see 40" 1080p tv's and that's a complete waste. 60" and up? Yeah it's worth it.

dmbphan041

Auditioning
Real Name
Adam
what's the dif between Panny's 800 and 850 models? If I can't afford a Kuro, I think I'm eventually going to go with a Panny.

hodedofome

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Smith
I'm no expert on all things Panny plasma but by comparing on their website the 85 series has better contrast than the 80 series. However, unless you are going with the 720p Panasonic Buy the Panasonic 50" Plasma HDTV and other LCD & Plasma TVs at circuitcity.com I stick by my previous recommendation of getting a 720p Kuro (even the first gen Kuro) over a 1080p Panasonic(80 or 85 series) for the same price. This is assuming a 50" tv of course. The new Viera Pannys are much improved on black levels but still not as good as a first gen Kuro, plus the colors are off more on the Viera. But, if your budget doesn't allow a $2k tv, then the 720p 80 series Viera will still look very good and you will be impressed as long as you don't put a Kuro next to it!!! :)

I've found Sears to have some good prices on Panny and Samsung plasmas on a regular basis Panasonic 50 in. Class Plasma Integrated HDTV (720p), VIERA - Model TH-50PX80U at Sears.com

dmbphan041

Auditioning
Real Name
Adam

as good as that deal is, I'm probably looking only at 1080p TV's in case of future upgrades.

I really do need to decide on what tv I want though, I just can't make up my mind!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks