What's new

Advice: looking for <$1000 system for movies/music (1 Viewer)

LouisFour

Auditioning
Hi everyone,
I am a new member to these wonderful forums and have been reading the links with much enthusiam!

I am in the market for a home theater setup that will enable me to watch DVD's/TV and listen to music. I currently own the following:

Sony 32" "normal" TV
Onkyo "old" receiver (forgot #)
Bose Accoustamass 7's
2 in-ceiling rear speakers
Samsung DVD player

The TV I will keep for now.. The receiver and speakers (keeping rears) need to be replaced... the speakers are horrible.. no bass whatsoever and the "center channel" speaker muffles are voice. These speakers seem to be great for just music.. but not for HT.

Anyway.. was hoping for some advice. Seems like some options are:
Recievers:
yammy 5760
yammy V1400 *leaning towards*
Denon AVR1804 *leaning towards*
Denon AVR1604

Speakers
Axiom M22ti/VP100
Fluance SX-HTB
HSU Ventriliquist VT-12/STF1 (Set) *leaning towards*
Infinity TSS-750 (Set)

Looking for other choices/advice......I'm really new at this.

I really need some advice on choosing the comps that will:

a) work well togheter
b) give me real nice Bass and clear center channel
c) sound equally good for music
d) allow for upgradability in the future
e) not break the bank.. :)

Thanks so much for your advice... appreicate the help!

LouisFour

Auditioning
Thx for reading but I am looking for advice.. good /bad and ugly. I'm leaning towards either the Yamaha 1400 or the Denon 1804 (cheaper).. speakers are where I am really confused.

I could go with a cheaper setup: HSU Ventriliquist set or splurge a bit more and go with something else.

Again.. I only need 2 fronts, a center and a subwoof since I have the 2 rear ceilings.. HELP Please!! :b

LouisFour

Auditioning
Ok.. since no one has any advice ;).. I think I've narrowed my choice down a bit more.

Receiver
Yamaha HTR 5760 ($325+ship)

Speakers
HSU Ventriliquist VT12 ($199)
HSU STF-1 Sub ($299)

- or -
Polk RTi6 ($380)
Polk CSi3 ($199)
HSU STF-2 Sub ($399)

Advice.. obviously spending $650 is a lot easier to take than spending $1350... but - I don't want to skimp on the spekaers... from what I've read.. the VT12 system seems rather nice for the price.. THOUGHTS? Thx.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I've not heard the HSU VT-12's but I have the Polk RTi6's and a CSi5 (with RTi4's as surrounds) matched to an Onkyo HT-500 AVR and am quite pleased though the Polk's aren't as much of an upgrade from the Onkyo SKS-500 speaker set as I had hoped. But I credit the Onkyo's as being allot better than they should be for the price. I also only paid $260 a pair for the 6's on sale at CC in June. Make sure the receiver has the features/sound/power you want but spend more on speakers/sub. Don't under-buy on the center and sub. I think most here make mistakes skimping on speakers than receivers (though they may not want to admit it :) ). I have too BTW :b . And no matter what you get, you will find something better and/or cheaper a month and a half from now! It always happens.

Dan J S

Agent
Honestly I cringe when I hear that someone is going to spend their whole budget on a complete system in one shot. It's understandable that you want to have everything all at once, we all do. It's probably been said here before, but more likely than not a year or 2 down the line you'll find yourself wanting to replace each and every component in turn. Why not start off with the upper line reciever? You'll get much longer life out of the Yamaha 1400 or Denon 2805. And get just 2 new front speakers. You can live without a sub and center channel - I've been doing it for a long time. You'll still hear the actors speaking, and still get decent bass if you choose your speakers right. Later, as funds permit, add your sub and matching center.

Kevin_Breeze

Second Unit
If i were you I would check out Rocket ELT SE's and their subwoofer(I think its UFW-10 or something like that) B-stock which just means minor blems but still comes with full warranty. the 250 watt powered sub is only $199 B-stock and the ELT's are $399 B-stock. I heard really great things about both. For example in a speaker test against the very highly reviewed Acendant CBM-170's, they were said to be just as good only warmer. Also heard very good things about that sub which is supposed to be very punchy and musical, just not quite as much extension as bigger ones.
Which leads me to the next recommendation for speakers being the CBM-170's with HSU Sub. Check out the reviews on Audioreview.com and elsewhere for these speakers, its amazing how much people love these speakers. you are right not to want to skimp on speakers.

Also I am with Dan, I'd just get a reciever and front speakers for now. You'll be very happy with that for the time and than can add the surrounds and other things as you get more $$.

Kevin_Breeze

Second Unit
Here you go:

http://www.av123.com/products_catego...stock&brand=35

Rocket ELT Special Edition CSE (pair) B-Stock
Rocket ELT CSE Rosewood

$395.00
pair
Sale!

Taken from the proven ELT Center Channel topology, the new ELT CSE offers a performance upgrade suitable for all 5 channels.
----------------------------------------------------------

Rocket ELT-1 SW-10 Subwoofer B-Stock
Rocket ELT-1 SW-10 Subwoofer

each
Sale!

The SW-10 is NOT your average "budget" subwoofer. Featuring a 10" paper composite woofer, a 200W amplifier and a beautiful Cherry-stained Birch enclosure, the SW-10 will finally let you feel what you never knew you'd been missing
-----------------------------------------------------------

Or - if you want a bigger Sub, from what I hear you can't go wrong with an SVS or HSU.

JoshMa

Auditioning
Hello from another new member. Have you heard the HSU Ventriliquist system? If not, and you have a Comp USA nearby, I suggest you go down and listen to it.My impression of the VT12 system was that it would only be ok for home theater in small rooms. Musically it doesn't fair well in my opinion. It really all depends on what sounds good to you in the end though.

You could give your budget more flexability by going with a different sub. The Dayton 10" from Parts Express gets really good reviews and sells from $99-129 depending if you catch it onsale. I would only go this route if you decide against the VT12 since they designed it with their sub in mind.

Kevin_Breeze

Second Unit
Yeah for $100, I hear you can't beat that Dayton, but personally, I 'd rather spend another $100 for the rocket one...

and no I am not affiliated with them nor have I listened to them, just going from what I have heard from I know of their specs and what I have heard from others

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks