DVI cable

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Daniel T., Jun 30, 2003.

1. Daniel T.

Daniel T. Agent

I just called all the local audio/video places around here and apparently a DVI cable is a rare beast, at least one long enough for my needs.

I need a 5 meter or so. I got the new T2 "Extreme" dvd, and wanna play with the high-def outputs. My vid card is fully capable, and my sound card has TOS links, and I have a optic cable thats plenty long. Mainly I just wanna see how the enhanched resolution looks on my DLP set(few Unreal games too [​IMG] ).

What does one look for when searching DVI cables. Any specific codes? I know its a VGA into comp and a male DVI into the monitor. Beyond that I don't know what to tell a salesperson to get the correct cable.

2. Josh_SR

Josh_SR Stunt Coordinator

Sup peeps...

its hard to find a store that knows what dvi is.... i have had this same problem and ended up looking on ebay for one... i found many.... look for the dual link D-dvi cables.. if you have it on your pc then i beleave it should be male to male connections witch mean there are pins on both ends of the dvi cable..... good luck

3. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

With a 5 meter cable, you want to make sure you get a pretty good quality one. That's right at the limits of copper. You're going to be using 1280x720?

4. dan fritzen

dan fritzen Second Unit

I got one at Best Buy for $70 but I see them on pricewatch.com for as little at $43. Look for a digital monitor cable on pricewatch, it will work, that is what I bought at best Buy. But alas my NVidia Geforce 4 would not recognize the TV beyond 480x848 resolution so it was worthless to me.

5. Josh_SR

Josh_SR Stunt Coordinator

dan.... what gforce 4 do you have?

6. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

7. Daniel T.

Daniel T. Agent

Geforce card? 4200 of some ilk. Bought it so long ago...wait, lemme look in system properties NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200, is what Belarc spit out. I hooked it up for a quick while the other day(moving my comp is an ORDEAL) using a friends flat panel cable. I didn't play with resolution of much of anything, just to get a gander at the pic.

Don't rightly know what resolution I'll use, I guess its a play-it-by-eye kinda thing with the "HD" dvd's. Thats mainly why I want a long one, so I can piddle and not lug this tower around.

8. dan fritzen

dan fritzen Second Unit