DVD volume

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by ChrisMark, Sep 8, 2003.

1. ChrisMark

ChrisMark Agent

I have a Yamaha 5650 receiver and Athena Audition B1 and C1 speakers, with small sony's in the rear. I have setup my system using Sound & Vision (without an SPL meter). Things sound great. However, I notice I am changing the volume when I watch certain movies. For instance, The Two Towers is more than loud enough at -50 on the receiver, but The Brotherhood of the Wolf needed to go up to -40 or more. I have noticed this with other movies. Is this normal?

2. Gary Thomas

Gary Thomas Second Unit

I wouldn't sweat it. While most dvds are calibrated at reference levels, I'm sure there are ones that have been set differently. I often notice this when playing cd's...they are often recorded at different levels.

Another consideration may be the background noise in your listening room. I typically need to crank up the system a bit during the day to compete with house noise, outside traffic, etc., but turn down the volume when all's quiet at night. You may also have a very live room, with sound slapping around the walls and ceiling, making it difficult to hear dialogue. Some calibrate the center channel 1-2 db above their other speaker levels.

Dynamic range also varies among movies. Dynamic range is the difference in volume between the quiet passages and loud thundering explosions in a movie. Many dvd player and receivers allow you to minimize the dynamic range. Some call this a "night time" setting.

I do recommend a Radio Shack sound level meter. You don't need to spend extra on the digital model. I think the analog is about $35.00. Also, spend time setting the speaker distances / delays on your receiver.

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul