What's new

DVD Tournament- Best Surround Sound Moment (1 Viewer)

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
The best gunshot sound thread and the fact that this question seems to creep up in about five threads a week (What scenes should I use to show off my new set-up, etc.) I thought I'd run a tournament to determine, for good and all, which scene holds sway over (uh...sorry, Bill the Butcher mode off) which scene is indeed the best when it comes to effective use of our sound systems. I'll start off giving everybody three nominations and three seconds . I'm not too concerned about defining a "scene", just try not to nominate whole movies at a time.;)
The following are automatic entries:
Saving Private Ryan-Normandy Landing
Star Wars Episode 1-Pod Race
The Fast and the Furious-First Drag-race
Gladiator-Opening Battle
Heat-Bank Shootout

Kristian

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kristian
Nominate:
Prologue (the Sauron scenes, specifically) - The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
Asteroid Chase - Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Titan A.E. - The Ice Fields
Super Speedway- Champ Car going under the big overpass/sign.
U-571 - Depth Charges, and the quiet moments preceeding them when attempting to evade the enemy above.

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
Panic Room - The Fire in the room specifically
Toy Story 2 - The opening sequence is great, but the whole movie has wonderful sound.
Requiem For A Dream - Nothing specific since I don't own it, but I remember marveling at how active the surrounds were for a movie that you wouldn't think would have much.

Ric Bagoly

Senior HTF Member
Nominate-
The Doors-Miami Concert
Superman-Opening Credits
Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas-Circus Ether Trip
Ill Second-
The Lord Of The Rings-The Fellowship Of The Ring-Opening Sauron Sequence
The Matrix-Shootouts

Iain Jackson

Second Unit
Fight Club - pretty much any scene (isolate the rear channels and you can hear full conversations in the hospital scene and the ticking of a clock in the group sessions!), but the opening titles and the plane crash sequence seemed especially impressive.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
When you are watching Fight Club at reference level and that plane crash sequence hits... it knocks most of the people in the HT on their ASS if they don't expect it :D
...I'll second that pick ;)

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
Hell it knocks me on my ass when I am expecting it!! I encourage discussion as the tourney moves along, but it'd be real helpful if folks would indicate what they're nominating or seconding. Thanks.

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
The Others - the creepy movements in the surrounds scared the s*&% out of me.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
I'll second the opening sequence of Toy Story 2 and nominate the Omega 13 sequence of Galaxy Quest.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks