What's new

DVD sound not matching picture (1 Viewer)

toddjarow

Auditioning
Real Name
Todd
Hopefully someone can help. We just recently bought a 55" Samsung LED 3D Smart TV. We have watched a couple of DVD's without issue but when we tried to watch "Christmas Vacation" we noticed issues with the sound not syncing with the picture. I thought it was the DVD so I went and bought a new copy in the Blu Ray format as I was thinking about buying a Blu Ray player. We have a PS3 that plays Blu Ray, and when we tried to watch the new copy we had the same problem. What could be causing this problem?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Does that movie do the same thing on any other TV/DVD player combinations in the house?
Do you have 240hz turned on? (since you didn't give us a model number, we have no clue what "features" your TV has, since at last count, including last years closeouts...there are 100 different Samsung Smart TV, with 100 different feature sets...)

toddjarow

Auditioning
Real Name
Todd
I tried the PS3 on a different TV and it seemed to work fine. The model of the TV is UN55ES7100. I'm not sure if there is an option to turn the 240hz on or off. I spoke to a person at Best Buy who said it could be the disc, or the HDMI cable. Not sure if I buy that it's the cable.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Read your manual..

Menu -> Picture -> Picture Options

Turn off: Digital Noise Filter, MPEG Noise Filter, Auto Motion Plus (this is the main culprit - blur and judder reduction), and LED Motion Plus if your display has it.

Some options in the menus are not available unless the TV is set to "Standard" or "Movie" picture mode... You should never use "Dynamic" or "Entertain" if you are at all concerned with image quality.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
You don't have a receiver, right? Just the blu-ray player connected directly to the TV?

A google search indicates others have had sync issues with that title... on the Samsung TV is it only this title that gives problems?

You can try making sure the PS3 is set to output PCM/2.0 stereo audio to the TV (maybe the TV is choking while trying to downmix the audio) rather than "bitstream" or whatever other options there are..

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
That is weird. Lots of "I have audio problems" and Christmas Vacation is one of the culprits...
I don't own the movie in any form.

toddjarow

Auditioning
Real Name
Todd
We have a vizio sound bar but it does it on both the sound bar and the tv speakers.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Does it only happen with this title?

If the problem happens with other titles, then we need to know exactly how these devices are connected (i.e. HDMI from PS3 to sound bar, HDMI from sound bar to TV, etc.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks