What's new

dvd scaling feature ? (1 Viewer)

Dan Baldwin

Auditioning
I'm ready to upgrade my dvd player and I'm wondering how important it is for me to have a dvd player that has aspect ratio control. I have a new Sony XBR2 57 rear projection tv. Is this the way it works ? My tv may lock into "full" mode when presented with a progressive signal, such that any non-anamorphic material may be distorted ? A dvd that has a scaling feature will allow me to view non-anamorphic material in full mode with no distortion ?

Thanks,

Dan

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Yes the DVD player might have a scaling mode that fits the picture into a 4:3 shaped space while the scan lines are still stretching over a 16:9 shaped space. This is a concession to the TV makers who insist on making sets with the irritating problem of locking in 16:9 mode.
Verify it in the store before buying.
As far as Iknow no player maker has come out with a second scaling feature, to zoom non-16:9-enhanced wide screen programs to occupy all 480 scan lines. Unlike the typical optical zoom on TV sets that spreads out the inner 360 scanlines, this scaling feature will give an even better picture from progressive players provided it is done just after the video is made into progressive scan.
Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Matt DeVillier

Supporting Actor
As far as I know no player maker has come out with a second scaling feature, to zoom non-16:9-enhanced wide screen programs to occupy all 480 scan lines.
this is exactly what both the Panny RP-91 and JVC players do. they both horizontally compress 4:3 material and vertically stretch 4:3 letterboxed material so that they fill the 16:9 frame while maintaining the proper aspect ratio.

the RP-91 does this automatically, based on the way a disc is flagged, but has a manual override in case the disc is not flagged correctly (letterboxed material flagged as 4:3. The JVC players do not have a manual override, relying entirely on flags.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks