What's new

DVD Player Selection (1 Viewer)

Chris Huber

Second Unit
What is the best DVD player with progressive scan, optical, s-video, and composite outputs for ~50? Are there any with all those options for that price?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
For less than fifty clams? You don't have many options when it comes to the slapped-together stuff that gets sold at that price -- including player longevity. Better raise your sights a bit (at least to around $100).

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
My brother has had good luck, and a huge amount of hours (TV on DVD addict) on this Apex machine:

http://www.computers4sure.com/produc...affid=10000483

The only machine I have close in this price range is a Samsung S222, which I got for about $89 and it also has component. Once used on small bedroom until, went out to the living area when my Toshi bit the dust. That was two years ago. I'm sure this would be a hard find as Samsung has opted to address the under $100 crowd with a VHS/DVD combo V2000 as they press on with their Hypervision and Pro-End series.

For $70, I'd go for the Panny DVDS25S

EDIT: To Correct Model #

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
You would be best at the $70+ level, below that they are all unreliable Walmart-specials that die after only a few months. At the $70-80 level you can get a Panasonic or JVC that at least have decent reliability. Don't expect great de-interlacing at this price however, for good progressive quality with all types of DVD titles you need a Faroudja de-interlacer and models with that are $200-$400.

Chris Huber

Second Unit
Do any panasonic $70+ come with Optical, S-Video and Component out?

Having trouble finding one with all three...

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I would reccomend the JVC N44 from www.ecost.com . It's available in either Silver or Black and has all the features you're looking for as well as the ability to pillar-box 4:3 dvds for widescreen displays and the ability to scale non-anamorphic widescreen dvds for widescreen displays. For $45 it's a steal and you can get free ground shipping. I'll probably be picking one up for my bedroom HT.

Hope this helps :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks