DVD player play Audio CD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Martin Jiang, Jan 9, 2003.

1. Martin Jiang

Martin Jiang Agent

I am using a malata 520 DVD player as a single source for both video and audio cd. I am very satisfied with its video quality but I have no way of knowing whether it's audio quality is good or bad.

The way I see it, CD is digital. if I use the digital out of the player and send it into my receiver. Then it's using the D/A converter in the receiver, in this case no matter what kind of crappy player I use, as long as it has a digital out, they should all sound eactly the same. Am I right? DO I need to upgrade to a dedicated CD player?

Thanks

2. ColtonA

ColtonA Stunt Coordinator

I would also like to know this.......

3. David Berry

David Berry Stunt Coordinator

There have been numerous threads in the past basically asking the same question (i.e. if it is digital, then the transport does not particularly matter, just the DACs). I bet if you do a search on "transports" you will find numerous threads that can explain the different reasons why one should be able to hear differences.

By the way, how do you like the sound from the Malata 520 player as a CD player? Seriously, knowing this will go a long way in answering your question of whether the audio quality is good or bad.

David

4. Martin Jiang

Martin Jiang Agent

David

Hard to say about the audio quality without a side by side compare. It sounds fine but I am just wondering what the difference could be.

M