What's new

DVD Organization Apps or Software (1 Viewer)

Emcee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Belflower
Does anyone know of any good apps for your phone or PC that helps you organize your DVD and Blu-ray collections?

My sister-in-law was just gifted access to an app with a scanner gun that scans barcodes and puts her extensive book collection into the app.

Any suggestions?

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
My Movies Pro and DVD Profiler are probably the two top apps for managing DVD/Blu-ray collections. My Movies Pro is available across multiple platforms (Windows, macOS, iOS, etc.) while DVD Profiler is Windows, Android, and iOS only. My Movies Pro is still being actively developed while DVD Profiler (Invelos Software) hasn't seen a new release in many years. The back-end database is still being updated but Invelos' servers go down routinely and there's always a chance that the app will be abandoned at some point.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I use CLZ Movies on my iPhone (there is an Android version as well)
It is linked to Movie Connect and/or Movie Collector for non-mobile use
(Same developer)

Small subscription fee, but I feel it’s worth it

JimJasper

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
Good question, I got an IntelliScanner. Used their Classic version. It's ok. Some barcodes it doesn't recognize, even for popular films. One time payment (around $100). Will also do CDs and Books. Doesn't have a selection for 4K. Earlier this year, the scanning system (checks the web) crashed. But their customer support was helpful. My home database was kept in tact (from what I had already scanned), since it's saved on my harddrive. Anyway, keep us updated with what you do.

1715792239509.png

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
DVD Profiler is probably the best... at least for Windoze users (who need reasonably good iOS/Android app support), but yeah, not sure how long Invelos will last... although a recent support development (w/ server hardware update/refresh) seems more positive after several(?) years of seeming neglect. But don't expect improvements/updates in their software though.

IMHO, My Movies Pro is not really that recommendable... at least for those w/ fairly large collections wanting regular Windoze usage. Their Windoze app is very heavy on installation and system resources largely because it uses/requires MS Sql Server -- it's basically just a very crude/spartan "skin" on top of Sql Server -- and very clunky/lacking (unless they made very substantial improvements in last couple years). The Windoze side seemed like just barely an afterthought w/ the focus almost entirely on mobile app. You can probably try out the mobile app to see if it serves you well w/out much, if any, expectations for Windoze use/access. Just don't expect to use the Windoze app much, if ever at all.

I haven't bothered trying any of the others. IIRC, none of the others comes remotely close to DVD Profiler, and I'm not about to bother (as long as DVDP's still up-and-running... unless they seem very promising) w/ well over 3K titles in my collection DB. Even w/ MMP, couldn't really tell quite how much of a resource hog (and pain to fully use/setup) it was until I actually tried (and mostly completed) to import my DB from DVD Profiler -- MMP's import (of DVDP export file) could only do a single batch w/ no incremental import (at least back in late-2021 when I tried) and would seem to choke once the batch size exceeded maybe ~1.7K or so titles, especially if one also has some boxsets that would expand to more (like 2K-plus).

_Man_

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
There are zillions of these apps. I use MovieBuddy on my iPhone. It does all the things all these apps do, including scan barcodes and have cloud syncing across devices.

Although as I’m poking at it some more, it doesn’t seem to support searching its custom (user added) tags. So, I guess I can’t strongly recommend it any more.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
The My Movies IOS app is pretty good. I've used it for years. I don't bother with the Windows standalone client but can still access my collection from their web site if needed.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Another vote for My Movies on both iOS and macOS. When I finally discovered My Movies, I was able to move completely away from the dying-on-the-vine DVD Profiler that I had used forever and, more importantly, completely rid myself of Windows OS for personal use. I still have to use Windows for work, but as they say, “C’est la vie…” 🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Exorcist4713
Recent bookmarks