What's new

DVD - Insurance Claims (1 Viewer)

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
None of us want to entertain the thought of ever loosing our prized and valuable DVD collections but with the recent weather events, one needs to be prepared. Theft also considered. I am sure this issue has been approached before but it's worth another post...

Has anyone had to place a claim here in the US? What was needed/requested for proof of ownership by the insurance companies and how was the claim handled?

I ask because I am sure I am not the only person here who has a collection that was purchased almost exclusively over the Internet over the course of several years. The only receipts have long been purged offline.

Also, how do they handle those OOP titles or limited and sometimes numbered special editions which can now only be obtained through auctions by the highest bidder?

Do insurance companies accept a simple list of titles especially when you own hundreds or thousands of them? Do they need more info like UPC codes, original retail prices, a list of OOP separate from those not, etc... or what?

Was a special rider needed on your policies or does regular homeowner insurance cover it?

Just like to be prepared and don't want to be caught short.

Eric

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
Homeowner's policies obviously vary, but I wouldn't worry about not having receipts. What I do is keep my DVD collection list up-to-date on dvdtracker.com and periodically use my camcorder to actually tape my entire collection sitting on the shelf. That should be proof enough that the collection is legit. However, I still need to read the fine print to find out just how much they're willing to pay if the DVDs are stolen or destroyed by fire, because I don't honestly know how much is covered in my case.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks