What's new
World Wide Stereo

DVD hookup to Yamaha rxv1300 question (1 Viewer)

Sally E

Auditioning
I am trying to hook up a Pioneer DV-563A to my Yamaha rx-v1300 receiver using a optical audio digital out. That works fine, however the pioneer manual recommends also connecting the dvd to the receiver using the stereo anaolg connection "for compatability with all disks" When I try to connect the analog out to the receiver (only one output on the dvd for analog) I no longer can play the dvd sound through the tv. I have a high definition tv with plenty of inputs and outputs but can't seem to fiqure out how to do it or if I even need to bother. The yamaha manual doesn't address this issue. I am also running a hdtv sat through the tv with digital optical audio only to the receiver. I am hooking this up for the first time and open to any and all suggestions since I am new to all of this. Thanks for any help you have.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Don't worry about the composite hookup. Just don't hook it up. About anything you play, will play thruogh the digital hookup, except the dvd-a and sacd. Then you have to hookup the 6 analog outs from dvd player to the 6 analog inputs on receiver(if it has them). For dvd-a or sacd, you use the multi-channel mode, instead of dvd mode. The digital and analog modes shouldn't interfere with each other.
Good luck!

Sally E

Auditioning
Thanks Ed what a help. Ok I found the 6 channel input jacks, (5 on the pioneer) I'll give it a go Thanks again.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member

Dont run audio to the TV. I suggest you run all audio through the reciever and plan to turn it on/leave it on all the time.

A major feature of DVD and HDTV is 5.1 sound. You cannot get this by running audio from DVD/HDBox to the TV. You only get it by turning on the reciever and letting all those speakers do their jobs.

In General:

- Run all audio to the reciever
- Run all video to the TV

Note: you CAN also run video to the reciever, then from the reciever to the TV. This makes things easy to use. But there are 2 problems you need to be aware of:

- Not all recievers are designed/rated for HD video signals (Component yes, but HD is a bit different)

- Most recievers wont up-convert Composite or SVideo to Component.

So running video straight to the TV and audio straight to the reciever tends to be easiest.

Note: a universal remote with "Macros" is a nice way to switch the TV and Reciever with 1 button push.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
There should be 6 analog outputs on back of dvd player too.

Left front
Right front
Center
Left rear
Right rear
Subwoofer

The sub hookup here isn't the same as where the sub itself hooks up to receiver....
Being analog, it needs to send a signal to each channel for 5.1, including the .1 :)

Sally E

Auditioning
Ok.. that sounds good, I like "the easiest". I'll run all audio to the receiver and all video to the hdtv. Does that mean the only thing I need to hook up to the receiver is the optical from the dvd + (the 5.1 analog) and the optical from the hd sat?

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
yes and yes.

a couple of other thoughts.

it'll actually be even "easier" for you, if you run *everything* (audio and video) into the receiver first, but that's a different thread. ;)

also, are you going to be getting into hi-resolution music? if not, then you don't even need to hookup the 5.1 analog cables.

also, head over to the tweeks forum. bob put up a great thread about how to wire stuff up.

Sally E

Auditioning
Ok boys hope you are still out there. Followed all the instructions in the DVD manual ran the test tones on the DVD and am getting 5.1 output through the receiver. I went and got a Boston SACD CD and i'm all ready to go. No matter what I try it only plays through the main speakers. I checked to make sure all speakers worked...I went through the troubleshooting guide, triple checked my settings... No luck. Any ideas?

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hmm...if you ran the test tones and received 5.1, then you know your wiring is correct.

my guess is you didn't choose the correct sacd playback setting. try these steps:

home menu / initial settings / options / sacd playback

make sure you select "multi ch area" instead of 2 channel.

also, make sure your boston sacd is actually multi-channel and not just stereo. i made that mistake when i bought my peter gabriel sacd. click here for info on that. :b

Sally E

Auditioning
Thanks Ted, I just assumed that these SACD's were multi channel. Boston is Stereo, I just found it on the back of the CD. I'm hesitant to try the DVD-a because they said the Pioneer DV-563 has trouble playing some. I think I'll keep this one for a while and upgrade to something that will play everything. Now out to buy a multi-channel sacd, can't wait to hear it with my new set-up. Thanks Ted for all your help! Sally

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
no problem sally - glad i could help. :)

btw, don't let the dvd-a issue worry you too much. take a look at this thread for more info. there's a link in that thread to a good article that details the firmware issue.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I have the Pioneer DV 563A, and have never had a problem playing a dvd-a. I have played several, and it's played them all. Don't miss out on good music, because someone else may have had a problem..........

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks