DVD File trashes "Running Scared"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Stone, Oct 15, 2001.

1. Chris Stone

Chris Stone Agent

after hearing so many good comments regarding the audio and video quality of RUNNING SCARED I was quite surprised that DVD File pretty much ripped it apart - anyone know what the deal is here ?
    did the reviewer just have a bad day or were the comments on the board just flat out wrong ?

2. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

Since I haven't screened my copy yet, I probably don't have any business posting to this thread, but...
    Based upon the initial comments in the review concerning the film itself, I'd say that the reviewer went into the experience with a pretty negative attitude that permeated the review. So, I'd take it with a grain of salt.
    - Walter.

3. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

4. Kajs

Kajs Second Unit

After reading it, I was about to make the same post.
    Was it a new guy that wrote the review? His name didn't look familiar to me...
    I just watched the movie last night and I thought the sound and the transfer were good, or at the least, what I was expecting. It was actually the first time I saw it and I'm not ready to bash it to death like the DVDfile review.

5. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian
    It was also reviewed by the same person that gave Tales from the Darkside the bad review.
    Maybe we should all chip in a few bucks to get him a gift certificate for Lens Crafters [​IMG]
    [Edited last by Brian Lawrence on October 15, 2001 at 12:03 PM]

6. Peter D

Peter D Stunt Coordinator

It's too bad there's nothing like 'Rotten Tomatoes' for dvd's. It would make it easier to detect anomalous reviews.
    It's pretty amazing just how hostile that review is. Which gets me thinking - whose bias would you trust more when it comes to reviewing the quality of the disc - someone who loved the movie or hated the movie?

7. David Coleman

David Coleman Supporting Actor

I too was shocked by the review I read this morning! It's like the reviewer had something personal against this film and let it permeate through the audio/video portion. Actually this was probably the "least professional" review that I've read on the internet review sites! I'm almost willing to believe that someone hacked into the site and left a nasty review, that's how different it is from other DVDFile reviews!
    As for the DVD itself believe me the quality is not a concern. True with some effort the sound could have been updated and improved by there is nothing lacking in the video dept. Having seen the movie in theaters I can say the colors are pretty accurate as that was the original color palette.
    For fans of this movie don't be put off. It's a worthwhile investment.
    David

8. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

I think it's safe to say that I'll be skipping further reviews written by one Wayne Rowe.
    My own review of Running Scared was posted on HTF about two weeks ago. It can be found here. I don't share Mr. Rowe's assessment of either the film or the disc.
    M.
    [Edited last by Michael Reuben on October 15, 2001 at 12:46 PM]

9. Jon Robertson

10. Michael Reuben

I agree, Jon. So why do him the favor of linking to it? [​IMG]
    M.

11. Jon Robertson

[​IMG]

12. Nate Anderson

Nate Anderson Screenwriter

I also liked the fim and felt the review was unfair. I liked how it was a more unique buddy cop flick, where the main guys, were just regular guys and not your traditional heros.
    It's also really funny.
    ------------------
    "This is not a drill. This is the apocolypse!"
    My Extensive DVD collection.

13. Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison Screenwriter

Randy
    Man, talk about someone who hated a film, and wasn't afraid to say so in a review. WOW!
    I loved this film the first time I saw it. What great comic chemstry, what memorable lines ("I can't believe you missed all 6 bullets!")/
    And, as a badge carrier myself, I have rehearsed the "You can have the money, but I need the wallet back" line a thousand times, just in case I ever get robbed.
    "Just Promise Me We'll Get Robbed!"
    ------------------
    Randy Tennison
    Kansas City, MO
    Home theater photos located at
    http://home.kc.rr.com/thetennisons/
    [Edited last by Randy Tennison on October 15, 2001 at 07:35 PM]

14. DanL

DanL Stunt Coordinator

I personally keep an objective separation between the movie quality (in my opinion) and it's audio/video aspects. It's obvious that this fellow didn't. Even moreso, he goes out of his way to trash Billy Crystal as "not funny", but yet completely rapes his own journalistic integrity by assuming his endless digs (Beta tape, Eazy-E cassette, etc..) are witty or somehow qualified. I think we all joke a bit or make comparisions for point, but this goes a tad bit over the edge.
    Billy Crystal might not be funny, but neither is this.

15. Chris Maynard

Chris Maynard Supporting Actor

This is why we review discs and not film at Obi's Reviews.
    BTW: I personally think he is blind. [​IMG]

16. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

Geez, after reading this thread, I wish I'd requested a copy of RS - I'm curious to see how the thing looks and sounds!
    However, I didn't think it seemed apparent that Wayne went into the review with a bad attitude:

17. Chris Maynard

Chris Maynard Supporting Actor

Colin - I may be a bit easier to please than most on topics such as edge enhancement or film grain.
    I have not watched the disc since I received it about 2 weeks ago but I remember the picture to be quite solid with good blacks and nicely saturated colors. I did not notice too much EE.
    I am sure people can blast some of my reviews but this person seems to get off on ripping into a disc that really does not deserve it.
    Did he expect a full 5.1 re-mix from the original stems ala Terminator? The pro-logic track was actually fairly decent sounding even if the fidelity was vintage 1986.
    Other comments like: Bottom barrel of MGMs catalog. Well the film did something around $40 million in 1986 dollars.
    I remember it to be quite a hit back then..(I wonder how old Mr. Rowe is?)
    Heck...it doesn't really matter as rating technical aspects of discs can still be subjective...but I think he is in the minority with his opinion.

18. Kevin Clemons

Kevin Clemons Stunt Coordinator

Having watched the disc for review (thanks to the kind soul who linked to it above) I can honestly say that while Mr. Rowe's A/V ratings were off base I can't flame the guy for not liking the movie. I mean there were people who liked Freddy Got Fingered even though I would rather have a million root canals than sit through FGF again. Opinions are opinions and I generally trust dvdfile.com as it is one of the best places around for reviews and content.
    That being said I for one enjoyed Running Scared and have since the first time I saw it when I was 11, the transfer and sound mix are worthwhile and it baffles me as to how someone could state otherwise. The disc is a bargain at its price and aside from some god awful artwork should be picked up without hesitation.
    Anyhoo I am not sure if this sheds light on the discussion, but what do I know I did go to public school.
    Kevin
    dOc

19. Michael Reuben

20. Robert George

Robert George Screenwriter

The term for this problem is "Perfection Syndrome". It generally strikes males between the ages of 15 and 35 who have only limited experience with DVD movies and no experience at all with film and video transfer technology. The symptoms usually onset following repeated viewings of Starship Troopers, The Fifth Element, and any of a number of excellent quality DVD movies.
    Yes, I made this up. But somebody had to makeup all those other disease names.
    [​IMG]