What's new

DVD File trashes "Running Scared" (1 Viewer)

Chris Stone

Agent
after hearing so many good comments regarding the audio and video quality of RUNNING SCARED I was quite surprised that DVD File pretty much ripped it apart - anyone know what the deal is here ?
did the reviewer just have a bad day or were the comments on the board just flat out wrong ?

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Since I haven't screened my copy yet, I probably don't have any business posting to this thread, but...
Based upon the initial comments in the review concerning the film itself, I'd say that the reviewer went into the experience with a pretty negative attitude that permeated the review. So, I'd take it with a grain of salt.
- Walter.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter

Kajs

Second Unit
Real Name
Kurt
After reading it, I was about to make the same post.
Was it a new guy that wrote the review? His name didn't look familiar to me...
I just watched the movie last night and I thought the sound and the transfer were good, or at the least, what I was expecting. It was actually the first time I saw it and I'm not ready to bash it to death like the DVDfile review.

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
It was also reviewed by the same person that gave Tales from the Darkside the bad review.
Maybe we should all chip in a few bucks to get him a gift certificate for Lens Crafters
biggrin.gif

[Edited last by Brian Lawrence on October 15, 2001 at 12:03 PM]

Peter D

Stunt Coordinator
It's too bad there's nothing like 'Rotten Tomatoes' for dvd's. It would make it easier to detect anomalous reviews.
It's pretty amazing just how hostile that review is. Which gets me thinking - whose bias would you trust more when it comes to reviewing the quality of the disc - someone who loved the movie or hated the movie?

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
I too was shocked by the review I read this morning! It's like the reviewer had something personal against this film and let it permeate through the audio/video portion. Actually this was probably the "least professional" review that I've read on the internet review sites! I'm almost willing to believe that someone hacked into the site and left a nasty review, that's how different it is from other DVDFile reviews!
As for the DVD itself believe me the quality is not a concern. True with some effort the sound could have been updated and improved by there is nothing lacking in the video dept. Having seen the movie in theaters I can say the colors are pretty accurate as that was the original color palette.
For fans of this movie don't be put off. It's a worthwhile investment.
David

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I think it's safe to say that I'll be skipping further reviews written by one Wayne Rowe.
My own review of Running Scared was posted on HTF about two weeks ago. It can be found here. I don't share Mr. Rowe's assessment of either the film or the disc.
M.
[Edited last by Michael Reuben on October 15, 2001 at 12:46 PM]

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
I also liked the fim and felt the review was unfair. I liked how it was a more unique buddy cop flick, where the main guys, were just regular guys and not your traditional heros.
It's also really funny.
------------------
"This is not a drill. This is the apocolypse!"
Link Removed

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
Man, talk about someone who hated a film, and wasn't afraid to say so in a review. WOW!
I loved this film the first time I saw it. What great comic chemstry, what memorable lines ("I can't believe you missed all 6 bullets!")/
And, as a badge carrier myself, I have rehearsed the "You can have the money, but I need the wallet back" line a thousand times, just in case I ever get robbed.
"Just Promise Me We'll Get Robbed!"
------------------
Randy Tennison
Kansas City, MO
Home theater photos located at
http://home.kc.rr.com/thetennisons/
[Edited last by Randy Tennison on October 15, 2001 at 07:35 PM]

DanL

Stunt Coordinator
I personally keep an objective separation between the movie quality (in my opinion) and it's audio/video aspects. It's obvious that this fellow didn't. Even moreso, he goes out of his way to trash Billy Crystal as "not funny", but yet completely rapes his own journalistic integrity by assuming his endless digs (Beta tape, Eazy-E cassette, etc..) are witty or somehow qualified. I think we all joke a bit or make comparisions for point, but this goes a tad bit over the edge.
Billy Crystal might not be funny, but neither is this.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Geez, after reading this thread, I wish I'd requested a copy of RS - I'm curious to see how the thing looks and sounds!
However, I didn't think it seemed apparent that Wayne went into the review with a bad attitude:
I'm sure there is someone out there that doesn't like Billy Crystal (Editor: Me!) but he cracks me up most of the time.
That said to me that he expected the movie to be good, since he likes Crystal, and he also pointed out that he thought RS contained good talent. I can't say he was objective about the movie, but it looked like he hoped to enjoy the flick.
As for his comments about the DVD's quality, I'm curious about this: do those who like the image and sound think they're good in an absolute sense or are they just good for a 15-year-old flick? Not having seen it, I don't have any idea if the DVD falls in one or the other category, but I thought maybe it's good in a subjective sense but not in an objective one. I have no feeling either way, but I'm interested to hear more opinions...
------------------
Colin Jacobson
DVD Movie Guide
www.dvdmg.com

Chris Maynard

Supporting Actor
Colin - I may be a bit easier to please than most on topics such as edge enhancement or film grain.
I have not watched the disc since I received it about 2 weeks ago but I remember the picture to be quite solid with good blacks and nicely saturated colors. I did not notice too much EE.
I am sure people can blast some of my reviews but this person seems to get off on ripping into a disc that really does not deserve it.
Did he expect a full 5.1 re-mix from the original stems ala Terminator? The pro-logic track was actually fairly decent sounding even if the fidelity was vintage 1986.
Other comments like: Bottom barrel of MGMs catalog. Well the film did something around $40 million in 1986 dollars.
I remember it to be quite a hit back then..(I wonder how old Mr. Rowe is?)
Heck...it doesn't really matter as rating technical aspects of discs can still be subjective...but I think he is in the minority with his opinion.

Kevin Clemons

Stunt Coordinator
Having watched the disc for review (thanks to the kind soul who linked to it above) I can honestly say that while Mr. Rowe's A/V ratings were off base I can't flame the guy for not liking the movie. I mean there were people who liked Freddy Got Fingered even though I would rather have a million root canals than sit through FGF again. Opinions are opinions and I generally trust dvdfile.com as it is one of the best places around for reviews and content.
That being said I for one enjoyed Running Scared and have since the first time I saw it when I was 11, the transfer and sound mix are worthwhile and it baffles me as to how someone could state otherwise. The disc is a bargain at its price and aside from some god awful artwork should be picked up without hesitation.
Anyhoo I am not sure if this sheds light on the discussion, but what do I know I did go to public school.
Kevin
dOc

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I'm curious about this: do those who like the image and sound think they're good in an absolute sense or are they just good for a 15-year-old flick?
They're good for this film, accurately capturing its look and sound. To me, that constitutes "good in an absolute sense", because I don't know any other standard of reference.
I don't know what Rowe was looking at, but anyone who says this disc has a lot of edge enhancement needs glasses, new equipment or a corrected definition of edge enhancement.
M.

Robert George

Screenwriter
The term for this problem is "Perfection Syndrome". It generally strikes males between the ages of 15 and 35 who have only limited experience with DVD movies and no experience at all with film and video transfer technology. The symptoms usually onset following repeated viewings of Starship Troopers, The Fifth Element, and any of a number of excellent quality DVD movies.
Yes, I made this up. But somebody had to makeup all those other disease names.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks