What's new

DVD Changers & Random Play (1 Viewer)

FrankSteel

Auditioning
Does anybody know of a DVD changer out there that will:

- random play music from multiple CD's (randomly selecting from all discs)

- random play chapters of multiple DVD's (the idea being to load up multiple music video or concert DVD's and random play the different songs continuously)

Thanks,
Frank

Jeff Hoak

Stunt Coordinator
Good luck...

I went through basically the same search about a year ago. I didn't really care about the "random chapter" thing but I did want to randomize CD palyback across all discs.

I initially purchased a JVC player (I don't recall the model) but ended up returning it. The build quality was not great and I didn't like the way it handled the "skip" function while playing randomly. It replaced a Sony 300 disc mega-changer. The Sony was a WHOLE other story beyond the fact that it just didn't fit in my new "entertainment center".

I ended up with a Kenwood DV-5700. It WILL randomize playback of CD across all discs. BUT... I've found 2 things that I don't like about it. (1) The process required to initilize random play is so convoluted that I never use it. (2) The changer mechanism is so slow that the delay between songs is annoying.

The "random play" issue could probably be solved by programming a macro ino my Pronto remote. Too bad I so lazy. I don't believe that there's anything that can resolve the slow mechanism though.

In the end I've pretty much abandonded the idea of a "do-it-all" changer. I bought an Auditron and ripped almost all of my CD's to MP3 to handle the music side of the things. I'm selling the Kenwood and I've ordered a Yamaha DVD-S2300 to handle DVD, DVD-A & SACD. I may someday get another CD only carousel to handle those CDs not ripped to MP3 (classical, Christmas, etc.).

Like I said... Good luck!

Kenny_H

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Sony DVP-CX860 300+1 dvd/cd changer. If you have filed your music videos in one of the folders,like I have(such as videos, anime, sci-fi, etc (A,B,C,orD), select the FOLDER, then select CHAPTER SHUFFLE to get random play. The downside is that you will get those FBI warnings, first & end chapter titles, etc. So far, there are no players that will allow you to skip those portions of a disc. But, you will get random play. My guess is that the other Sony models also do this. Hope this helps!

Jeff Hoak

Stunt Coordinator
Naddy,

I love DVD-A but I wanted to give SACD a listen. Since I just don't have the space in the entertainment center for another box I have a Yamaha DVD-S2300 on its way to me. When it arrives I'll be giving it a good checkout and I "HOPE" that the picture quality is close to that of the Kenwood. Close is the best I can hope for. Out of the 10+ DVD players that I've used here the Kenwood is hands down the best picture quality that I've seen at a "reasonable" price point. I did try out a couple VERY high $$$ players (Denon 9000, Pioneer AX10 and a Sony that I can't remember the number) and while the picture was a bit better overall there certainly wasn't enough improvement to justify spending an extra $2K+ (like I have it to spend). All of that was to say that the picture output on these players is just great. B.T.W. I'm watching on a well calibrated Hitachi 43UWX10B.

If the Yamaha checks out and I decided to keep it I'll be advertising the Kenwood at $600. It's in new condition, with all original box, packing, cables and paperwork including the blank warranty card. I bought it from Crutchfield in June 2002. We've watched maybe 2 movies a week (1 or 0 many weeks) and actually spent more time playing DVD-A's than DVD-V's

FrankSteel

Auditioning
I heard that the Sony 655P 5-disc player has a random feature. Any 655 owners out there who can verify how it works (i.e. CD track and DVD chapter random play across discs).

Thanks,
Frank

SteveK-mn

Auditioning
After searching for mid-priced ($300-$500) changers I am really disappointed in the shuffle capabilities in the new "universal" changers. I love the idea of a single player that can play, DVD, DVD-A, SACD, CD, CD-RW, etc.... but I can't stand the time it takes for the player to figure out what kind of disk it is about to play. I tried several players while in the store...some player took 15-20 seconds to go from one song to another. When you are waiting, this is painfully slow. When are players going to get faster at shuffling?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks