What's new

dvd audio (1 Viewer)

geoff dixon

Agent
I recenty purchased a Toshiba DVD audio player complete with analogue output, for the Audio DVD side of this machine,
My connection to a Onkyo 595 ampifier to the multichannel input, resulted in a reduced Sub Woofer performance and no control of DSP settings or any other setting i.e. speaker levels etc, I purchased an Audio DVD to test the system "Fleetwood Mac" The 5.1 audio sounded quite different compered to Digital audio through the optical setting.Is SACD a better format? I must say I expected a much improved performance, Is the Onkyo not compatible with the player/Can anyone advise the connection set up. is the DSP bypass normal? I do not know a lot about DVD audio other than its presented in Analogue

matt mettin

Auditioning
the dsp bypass is normal for all of the hi-res audio because the decoding is done within the player. the only weakness as I see it is the weak bass management of many of the hi-res players. just make sure that you have the player set up properly for what speakers that you have (ie large or small)

Regards

matt

geoff dixon

Agent
Thanks Matt I have found the set up speaker levels in the Onkyo 595. cranking them up from 0DB makes a dramitic impovement. also on the Toshiba set up.The analogua 5.1 sounds very different to Dolby Digital format the audio is much better balanced in terms of the mixing more like the original artists intention. I agree the Bass management is not like DD but again it's presentation is somewhat to use a metaphorlike "Soft Cream" unlike DD with the thumping Bass and agressive audio "in your face" of many DVDS, My first set of DVD audio was incorrect and alas now I cant get enough of the Fleetwood Mac album and the new experience

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks