DVD-Audio volume goes in and out

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Evan_B, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Evan_B

Evan_B Auditioning

I am new to the forum so nice to meet everybody.

Can anyone give me some insight on this...

I enjoy listening to 5.1 audio discs but recently I noticed that the volume seems to go in and out slightly. This happens with a recent DualDisc purchase. I did try the disc on another DVD player and had the same problem. Any ideas what causes this?

The DualDisc is the band Keane by the way.

Thanks!

Evan_B

2. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Screenwriter

Chris Gerhard
    I haven't had this problem with any DualDiscs but the Keane Hopes and Fears DualDisc is on its way to me now so I will be able to check for the problem in a few days.

Chris

3. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard
    I just received the DualDisc and have not noticed any problems at all. I love this album.

Chris

4. Evan_B

Evan_B Auditioning

I agree that the Keane album is excellent, especially in discreet audio format. The 5.1 mix really brings out the creative programming.

My disc still goes in and out but I looked more carefully at the DVD side of my dual-disc and noticed that there are some smudges that may be the culprit. It appears almost like a water stain and I think it was like that when I opened it. I will try to remove this to see if that fixes the problem.

Otherwise, I am slightly annoyed that I have to go to the "setup" menu each time I insert a DVD-Audio in my DVD player to get the 5.1 mix...otherwise my DVD player reads it in DVD-Video and only the stereo mix is available. Anyone else have this problem?

What other 5.1 audio titles do people recommend?

Evan_B

5. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard
    I had never heard anything by Keane before this blind buy and don't listen to much recent music by popular groups so I don't have a feel for other possible DVD-Audio albums that might appeal to someone who likes this kind of music. My favorite DualDisc so far with DVD-Audio 5.1 is Diana Krall "The Girl in the Other Room". The "Marvin Gaye Collection" is SACD hybrid surround and I like it really well.

Chris