DVD-Audio PCM only?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TomK, Apr 19, 2002.

1. TomK

TomK Stunt Coordinator

Some SACD disks are recorded with DSD technology, which to my mind, must be superior to PCM. Are there DVD-Audio disks that are recorded with a digial bitstream?
    I am really anxious to get into either SACD or DVD-Audio, but I keep going around and around.[​IMG]
    Tom

2. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

DVD-Audio is based on PCM, with Meridian Lossless Packeting compression applied.

My mind isn't convinced that DSD must be superior to PCM.

3. Ryan Spaight

Ryan Spaight Supporting Actor

SACDs can come from analog, PCM or DSD masters, but the SACD itself is *always* DSD.

DVD-A can also come from from an analog, PCM or DSD masters, but the disc itself will *always* be PCM.

Which is better is the subject of much debate, but I think everyone agrees both are better than CD, which is PCM but much lower-res than DVD-As are capable of.

Ryan

4. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

5. Jagan Seshadri

Jagan Seshadri Supporting Actor

Buy for the music, not for the technology.

(Sayeth the man with a DVD-A player, so patiently waiting for more titles to be released).

-JNS

6. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

Amen brother Jagan. I read somewhere on the net that Queensryche Empire is to be released on DVDA in June.

7. Ryan Spaight

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Ryan said:

9. Ryan Spaight

Fair enough -- I knew that there was widespread skepticism about Sony/Phillips' motives, but didn't know so many heard no sonic advantage over CD.
    Heck, it sure sounds better to me on my lousy little system. But I stand corrected that that's a common opinion (that it's better, not that my system is lousy [​IMG]).
    Ryan

10. Micahel C

Micahel C Stunt Coordinator

11. Thomas Newton

12. Ryan Spaight

We'll have to agree to disagree on the interpretation of fair use. IANAL, but in no way that I can see does fair use disallow the use of copy protection or guarantee the availability of copying tools, it simply states that copying for certain purposes is not a punishable offense. Now, you can certainly argue that fair use and the DMCA are at odds, and I wouldn't disagree -- but that's a different kettle of fish.

As to the second point, if the ability to rip is high on your list of priorities, then clearly you won't be satisfied with DVD-A or SACD. Fair enough. But I enjoyed CD for well over ten years before ripping tools became available, and I see no reason why I can't enjoy other formats that lack ripping tools. If I really want to make a copy for backup or compilation or whatever purposes, the friendly analog outs are always available.

I understand the point you're making with the Divx comparison, but with Divx we were talking about a format that restricted actual playback, not just a certain form of copying. At least from my perspective, that was a much more objectionable restriction. (As an aside, I do have objections to the Verance watermarking scheme in DVD-A, since that affects playback. You can certainly argue the extent of that effect, but it's there.)

Ryan

13. Thomas Newton

14. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor