What's new

DVD AND BLU-RAY SOUND (1 Viewer)

HTROLAND

Agent
Real Name
Roland
I recently finished setting up my converted stereo to home theater. I have been renting DVD movies as well as movies in BluRay. I run both of them on my Sony BD player. Are home theater sounds only good in BluRay? I noticed DVD movie sounds, only come in Stereo. No surround or using all 5.1 speakers. Does the receiver has any thing to do with it? I have the Pioneer VSX-1019AH receiver and Yamaha powered sub. What do they really use in the theater?

Being a novice I bought five, suposedly the real movie although they are in BlueRay. I guess I was taken. Seems they copy the title but the story is not the same and they sock . They are 2012: Doomsday; Coundown:Armagedon; War of the World 2; The Day the Earth Stopped and 30,000 Leagues Under the Sea.

Avatar in BD is a very good movie in sound and picture. Is there a DVD movie with encoded sound like DTS? Any help enlighrtening me will be appreciated.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
DVD movies are also in surround sound. Somethings not right.

Check the BluRay players setup menu and make sure you have selected Bitstream for the audio output and not LPCM.

Most dvd discs have an audio setup menu as well. If you access it you will see several options including Stereo, Dolby Digital and DTS. DVD's can sound great in DD/DTS.

The 1019 will play whatever the Bluray player sends it. Bitstream will send it DD or DTS (depending on what you select in the discs audio setup menu) but LPCM will only transfer a stereo signal.

Let us know if this helped.

HTROLAND

Agent
Real Name
Roland
I bought it from Amazon. Gene, I hav not tried your suggestion about Bitstream

HTROLAND

Agent
Real Name
Roland
Gene,

The bitstream word of yours send me to check the Audio Setup of the BluRay. Yes it suggested to turn the setting to off, but I found out after reading again the Pioneer Receiver Manual that I was using the wrong buttons of the Remote Control. The control has so many buttons which makes the receiver so flexible. I am now enjoying my equipments and set up. Thanks to everyone who helped me put it up. You guys never failed me.THANKS AGAIN.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks