DVD-A or SACD Player

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Manny*A, Dec 9, 2002.

1. Manny*A

Manny*A Auditioning

Hello Everyone,

I am a HT enthusiast. I am currently looking to upgrade my DVD player to DVD-A or SACD. I am not looking to spend much at this time until the format wars are really over. AT the same time, I would like to experience the magic of multi-channel music. I am not sure which format to go for though (the multi-format - DVD-A & SACD combined players are prices way too high).

Any comments what to buy for around $300 in either format?

Manny

2. Darren K Price

Spend an extra hundred and get the Pioneer DV-45A. That way you get both!

Darren

3. Rick_FL

Rick_FL Stunt Coordinator

there is a lot more SACD out there.

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Manny, if you can spend around $500 or so, consider the Pioneer Elite DV-45A, as Darren suggested. The '45A is a "universal" player, meaning it can play SACDs and DVD-Audio discs.

Alternatively, you can get either a DVD-Audio player or a DVD/SACD player for under $300. For SACD, take a look at the Sony DVP-NS755V. For DVD-Audio, consider the Panasonic DVD-RP82 and 'CP72, the Toshiba SD-4800, and the Pioneer DV-656A.

If you decide to go for one of the sub-$300 players, definitely look at which format, SACD or DVD-Audio, offers more music that interests you. There are many more titles available on SACD, but if these titles don't interest you, it doesn't really matter.

5. Ben Jordan

Ben Jordan Stunt Coordinator

Ben
    I also suggest the 45A! I am really enjoying mine!

6. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

7. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

For me, it's SACD. While there are some very appealing titles in the DVD-A format, there simply aren't enough for me to justify buying a player at this time. I have an SACD player now, and my hope is to get DVD-A playback when I upgrade my DVD player... assuming it's still a viable medium at that time. While neither format is coming on like gangbusters, DVD-A in particular seems stalled at the gate.

8. AaronBatiuk

AaronBatiuk Second Unit

9. Jerry Klawiter

Jerry Klawiter Screenwriter

10. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

Manny,
    While the SCDC 555ES is highly regarded in this and many other forums, $600.00 is pretty steep to me for a dedicated cd/sacd player. I ordered the SCDC 222ES from J and R for 325.00 delivered to my door! Excellent build and will change between sacd and cd without a glitch. I really enjoy this player with both sacd and redbook playback. Infact, as it is connected to my DA5ES, the DA5ES automatically goes to 5.1 multichannel input for sacds and uses digital coax for redbook cd playback! [​IMG]
    I don't know what your other equipment is, but I feel you cannot go wrong with this player.

11. Keith AP

Keith AP Extra

Manny,

Sounds like the Pioneer DV-45A is a sound way to go (oh yeah, I just bought one myself). For the extra $100+ you're not limited to one or the other formats, you have access to everything out there (including a two free disc promotion from Pioneer), gives you bass management (100Hz) for a home theater configuration, great picture, ...

12. Steven Simon

Steven Simon Producer

Steven Simon
    Keith,
    I just picked up the Pioneer Elite 45A new for 371 total.... Nice player all around..... The fact that it does SACD and DVD-A is a real bonus....It also reasonable bass management to control you LFE......[​IMG] [​IMG]

13. Manny*A

Manny*A Auditioning

Hi Steve

I have been looking for a 45A but unable to find one locally.
    Where did you get it?
    Let me know.
    Thanks
    Manny

14. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Manny,
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...solution+audio
    I did a comparison of both formats that may be helpful to you. Please note that since the posting, I have discovered that DVDA title count is north of 350 albums. Everything else I believe to be correct except that the SACD title has grown a little bit.
    I hope this helps. Good luck with your research...[​IMG]
    Steve Simon,
    How do you like the SACD performance on the 45A?
    Post a review if you can...thanks!

15. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Manny, Pioneer only authorizes sale of its Elite products through brick-and-mortar stores. You may be able to find the '45A online, but it will not be through an authorized dealer. I assume you have no Pioneer Elite dealers in your area. In my area, Tweeter has the '45A, as does a high-end dealer. For the latter, the '45A is an entry-level player. [​IMG]

16. Steven Simon

Steven Simon Producer

Steven Simon
    SACD sounds very good on this unit.... This unit isn't as good as the Sony 333 ES I had last year, but for the price, it's a good performer..... I have only had this unit for 24 hours, so give me some time.. I will post further findings...

Manny,

I got this Unit locally from a friend who is a dealer.... NJ area.... Email me for more info...

17. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I said:

18. EricE

EricE Agent

19. Rob*Gallo

Rob*Gallo Agent

I am new to the game, so please be patient. I am trying to find a 5-disc DVD player that supports DVD-A and SACD and haven't had much luck. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Hoping to spend less than $1000.

20. Mark_E_Smith

Mark_E_Smith Second Unit

I got into DVD-A and SACD last year I bought a Toshiba 4700 and a Sony 5 disc SACD player. For my tastes in music I MUCH prefer the DVD-A which also does DTS 5.1. I have a few copies of SACD material and it does sound very smooth, but there is NO on screen guide like most DVD-As have and I cant hear the difference in the formats. I dont think its fair to compare 5.1 to stereo anyway. I have always liked a suround system , I even had a "Quadraphonic" system in highschool. Later I purchased an Advent digital delay processor that I really enjoyed untill it broke. Anyway if you like rock and pop my vote would be for the DVD-A, I hardly look at the SACD stuff anymore.