What's new

DVD-A or SACD Player (1 Viewer)

Manny*A

Auditioning
Hello Everyone,

I am a HT enthusiast. I am currently looking to upgrade my DVD player to DVD-A or SACD. I am not looking to spend much at this time until the format wars are really over. AT the same time, I would like to experience the magic of multi-channel music. I am not sure which format to go for though (the multi-format - DVD-A & SACD combined players are prices way too high).

Any comments what to buy for around $300 in either format?

Manny

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Manny, if you can spend around $500 or so, consider the Pioneer Elite DV-45A, as Darren suggested. The '45A is a "universal" player, meaning it can play SACDs and DVD-Audio discs.

Alternatively, you can get either a DVD-Audio player or a DVD/SACD player for under $300. For SACD, take a look at the Sony DVP-NS755V. For DVD-Audio, consider the Panasonic DVD-RP82 and 'CP72, the Toshiba SD-4800, and the Pioneer DV-656A.

If you decide to go for one of the sub-$300 players, definitely look at which format, SACD or DVD-Audio, offers more music that interests you. There are many more titles available on SACD, but if these titles don't interest you, it doesn't really matter.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
If you decide to go for one of the sub-$300 players, definitely look at which format, SACD or DVD- Audio, offers more music that interests you. There are many more titles available on SACD, but if these titles don't interest you, it doesn't really matter.
I couldn't agree more. If you like Jazz and classical music it's a no brainer, SACD is the way to go. If you are a pop fan then you may do better with DVD-Audio. Go to your local Tower Records and see what each format has to offer and make your choice based on available software. Also, you can sometimes find older units on closeout. I recently got a Sony 500 SACD player for $111 as a cloesout from Best Buy to compliment my DVD-A player (another closeout from a couple years ago).

Also, check out the many excellent DTS CDs, they're usually mixed in with the DVD-Audio discs, but will run on any DTS compatible system. They sound great and are worth a purchase.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
For me, it's SACD. While there are some very appealing titles in the DVD-A format, there simply aren't enough for me to justify buying a player at this time. I have an SACD player now, and my hope is to get DVD-A playback when I upgrade my DVD player... assuming it's still a viable medium at that time. While neither format is coming on like gangbusters, DVD-A in particular seems stalled at the gate.

AaronBatiuk

Second Unit
I couldn't agree more. If you like Jazz and classical music it's a no brainer, SACD is the way to go. If you are a pop fan then you may do better with DVD-Audio...
I really have to agree that at this early point in time, each individual has to look at the software available before spending the money for the hardware.
However I don't necessarily agree with SACD for Jazz/Classical and DVD-Audio for Pop. My SACD Collection does include Jazz and Classical, but also includes the likes of Amanda Marshall and Groove Armada. I have a 5-disc SACD player. the Sony SCD-CE775, which I got on blowout at about $160 USD, reduced from it's original price of around $600 or $700.
I also have a few DVD-Audio discs, even though I don't have a DVD-Audio player. See, that's where that format is nice... you don't have to own a DVD-Audio player to play it. You can use a DVD-Video player. Yes, yes, I know... you won't get the super high-resolution lossless compression version of the soundtrack, but many include high bitrate dts soundtracks, which sound spectacular. One of my DVD-A's is Studio Voodoo's self-titled album, which has a dts-ES (discrete) track on the DVD-Video compatible tracks. The album was mixed specifically for 6.1 channels (dts-ES), and downmixed to create the 5.1 mix for the "real" DVD-A tracks. Another of my DVD-A's is called "Brazillian Bossa", and it has a dts 96/24 track for playback on DVD-Video equipment. I have a DVD-Audio disc that has only a Dolby Digital (5.1) track for DVD-Video compatibility. It does not sound nearly as impressive as the dts ones, but it is still perfectly acceptable.
Manny, If you are just looking to get into multi-channel sound, the easiest and cheapest way to get started is to pick up a couple of DVD-Audio discs, and play them in your DVD-Video player. If you like that experience, then take a look at the titles available for SACD and consider buying an SACD player. In my experience, SACD players and discs are less expensive. Here in Canada, an SACD disc is ~$25 (~$16 USD), and DVD-Audio discs are ~$35 - $40 (~$25 USD).

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
Manny,
While the SCDC 555ES is highly regarded in this and many other forums, $600.00 is pretty steep to me for a dedicated cd/sacd player. I ordered the SCDC 222ES from J and R for 325.00 delivered to my door! Excellent build and will change between sacd and cd without a glitch. I really enjoy this player with both sacd and redbook playback. Infact, as it is connected to my DA5ES, the DA5ES automatically goes to 5.1 multichannel input for sacds and uses digital coax for redbook cd playback! :emoji_thumbsup:
I don't know what your other equipment is, but I feel you cannot go wrong with this player.

Keith AP

Grip
Manny,

Sounds like the Pioneer DV-45A is a sound way to go (oh yeah, I just bought one myself). For the extra $100+ you're not limited to one or the other formats, you have access to everything out there (including a two free disc promotion from Pioneer), gives you bass management (100Hz) for a home theater configuration, great picture, ...

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
Keith,
I just picked up the Pioneer Elite 45A new for 371 total.... Nice player all around..... The fact that it does SACD and DVD-A is a real bonus....It also reasonable bass management to control you LFE......:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Manny*A

Auditioning
Hi Steve

I have been looking for a 45A but unable to find one locally.
Where did you get it?
Let me know.
Thanks
Manny

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Manny,
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...solution+audio
I did a comparison of both formats that may be helpful to you. Please note that since the posting, I have discovered that DVDA title count is north of 350 albums. Everything else I believe to be correct except that the SACD title has grown a little bit.
I hope this helps. Good luck with your research...:)
Steve Simon,
How do you like the SACD performance on the 45A?
Post a review if you can...thanks!

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Manny, Pioneer only authorizes sale of its Elite products through brick-and-mortar stores. You may be able to find the '45A online, but it will not be through an authorized dealer. I assume you have no Pioneer Elite dealers in your area. In my area, Tweeter has the '45A, as does a high-end dealer. For the latter, the '45A is an entry-level player. :)

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
SACD sounds very good on this unit.... This unit isn't as good as the Sony 333 ES I had last year, but for the price, it's a good performer..... I have only had this unit for 24 hours, so give me some time.. I will post further findings...

Manny,

I got this Unit locally from a friend who is a dealer.... NJ area.... Email me for more info...

Rob*Gallo

Agent
I am new to the game, so please be patient. I am trying to find a 5-disc DVD player that supports DVD-A and SACD and haven't had much luck. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Hoping to spend less than $1000.

Mark_E_Smith

Second Unit
I got into DVD-A and SACD last year I bought a Toshiba 4700 and a Sony 5 disc SACD player. For my tastes in music I MUCH prefer the DVD-A which also does DTS 5.1. I have a few copies of SACD material and it does sound very smooth, but there is NO on screen guide like most DVD-As have and I cant hear the difference in the formats. I dont think its fair to compare 5.1 to stereo anyway. I have always liked a suround system , I even had a "Quadraphonic" system in highschool. Later I purchased an Advent digital delay processor that I really enjoyed untill it broke. Anyway if you like rock and pop my vote would be for the DVD-A, I hardly look at the SACD stuff anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks