What's new

DV-CP702 Picture issues (1 Viewer)

anand_narayanan

Auditioning
Hey folks,

I recently bought the Onkyo HT-S777C HTIB. I am totally happy with the receiver and speaker system and the sound is amazing. The DVD player that comes with it though has problems. Please check the specs of the DVD player on the onkyo website.

Problem is described below:

Setup : I have hooked up the DVD player that comes with the HTIB (DV-CP702) to the Panasonic PT-AE700U projector and have a screen size of approx 150" or more. What I see is that the picture seems to have some horizontal scan lines at all the edges of objects on the screen. In other words, boundaries of objects (like people) on the screen are not clean, but have zig-zag patterns due to these lines. Is there any way I can get rid of these annoying lines? The picture quality really suffers because of this.

Just to clarify that the problem is indeed with the DVD player and not the projector - I also have an older Toshiba progressive scan DVD player which I wanted to replace with this Onkyo DVD player. The picture that comes out of it to the projector is breathtaking to say the least.

I tried fiddling with all the progressive scan and interlacing modes and the scan lines didnt go away through that. I called Onkyo and they told me that "It was not meant to work with that huge a screen". Can you believe that? I think the customer support guy didnt know what he was talking about.

Any advice or pointer to the problem will be appreciated. If I dont solve it I am selling this DVD player :frowning:

Thanks,
Anand

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
component cables hooked up properly?

proper progressive modes?

I have the Onkyo 802, and in addition to its DVD-Audio and SACD capability, the progressive video chip is 12 bit 108 MHz. The 702's is only 10 bit 54 MHz. For a LARGE viewing area the faster the chip the better. I've seen the 702 hooked up to a 60" screen and it looked fine. The Onkyo tech may not be that far off.

I'd recommend you upgrade to an 802 or go with Sony's 875. If Sony had DVD Audio that is the one I would have gone with.

anand_narayanan

Auditioning
PeterTHX - Yes cables are certainly not the issue.

Man that sounds depressing :frowning:. Considering that this piece retails at $199 you would expect more from it. The Toshiba I bought 2 years back was also $199, but the picture just rocks on such a large screen...I am planning to keep that one till it stops working. I guess Onkyo spent more time making this player look good + adding the 6 CD carousel and didnt do much on the components :frowning:(

Thanks very much for the pointer. :)

Regards.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Welcome to the modern world of try'n to find a really decent DVD player for one's money.

Does the DVD player allow a 480i signal to go out over the Component Video output? (Not all do)

If it doesn't your a little screw'd on it, if it does, I would think that the Panny de-interlacer with 3:2 pulldown would be perfect with it.

If it still has issues, then the DVD player is just poor with a really weak MPEG decoder in it. Most even cheapie DVD players these days will have a decent enough MPEG decoder to produce really great 480i component video.

anand_narayanan

Auditioning
" I would think that the Panny de-interlacer with 3:2 pulldown would be perfect with it."

John - I am guessing you are talking about some option on the projector itself? I will try this out and see whether that makes a difference.

"Does the DVD player allow a 480i signal to go out over the Component Video output? (Not all do)"

I am not sure. Will have to check in the manual.

Thanks for the input. :)

John S

Senior HTF Member
Many modern great displays, really handle DVD best this way for whatever reasons. Kind of cool that you don't need anything fancy or even a progressive scan dvd player, but maybe not so cool if you went out and purchased a really nice DVD player and the display just isn't as good when the de-interlacing is done before it gets to the display.

Sort of an oddity in the way things have worked out in the display and DVD world.

And yes, the Pannasonic 700 whileit does not have a DCDi chip, does have a really nice de-interlacer in it. The one I installed just kept the cheapie non-progressive scan DVD player they had and it looked truly spectacular on the projo.

Keep in mind, you still get progressive scan, it is just that the display does it, not the DVD player.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks