What's new

Dunkin Donuts - An American Tragedy (1 Viewer)

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Good taste in coffee, your wife. Back in the 80's, there were few Dunkin's in NYC and the ones there were did not carry the bagged beans. I had a buddy who lived in the city and I used to visit often. He usually had me "smuggle" in 2 lbs of Dunkin Donuts regular grind when I visited. I say "smuggle" because I was stopped by a NYC cop once and he smelled the coffee in my car. He had me empty out my bag and open the coffee because it is often used to smuggle stuff past contraband sniffing dogs. All I had was coffee and he accepted my explanantion that Dunkin's was not readily available in NYC.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, I'm not much of a coffee drinker myself, but the stuff is the real deal, and definitely worth smuggling.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Er, you're mixing trademarked characters here. The Noid was a Dominos Pizza advertising campaign. "Pizza Pizza" was the little Caesar guy of Little Caesar's.

I'm such a fount of useless trivia.... :D

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
DD Munchkins are still really good. If KK would just make donut holes the world would be a better place :)

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter

My wife as well Angelo. When I call to tell my wife that I am on my way home, it's not uncommon for her to tell me to pick up some DD coffee on the way.

Tim Fennell

Stunt Coordinator
I think the problem with DD is similar to Burger King.

They no longer cook the donuts in the local shop. In the town next to me there is an enormous DD Depot that has 18 wheeler trucks leaving all the time. They are full of donuts made there for the shops.

25 years ago I thought DD donuts were good. Today I doubt I'd bother getting one. I agree the Mom & Pop places or bakeries are the place to go for fresh donuts.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

There are BK's that don't cook their own food? :confused:

Even the tiny one nearest me set up in the corner of the local mini-mart has it's own broiler and fryers.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I've heard that Tim Hortons' stopped making donuts in the shops, and are having them delivered half-cooked in trucks now. They just reheat them. To be fair, maybe only Tim Horton's in Calgary are doing this...

Donuts as we know it will soon be extinct...

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
damn, now i'm gonna have to get some donuts (doughnuts).

for me, growing up was all about winchell's. i lived in a relatively small town back in the day and i think wd was the only "chain" donut store in town. it didn't hurt that they were just up the street from my house.

in college, there was this 24hr joint (i can't remember the name anymore) that we used to hang out at. problem was one day, after some excessive partying, we went there and grubbed out. i promptly got monstrously sick. if i ever live another life, i don't want to repeat that night.

that turned me off donuts for literally months.

finally, as my donut-phobia subsided, i returned to those oh-so-glorious orbs of grease -- and these days -- kk reigns supreme. tell me there's anything better then a glaze right off the conveyor belt and i'll call you a big, fat, snotty-nosed liar!

:D

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member

It's THE donut chain in Canada.

According to the website, they have over 2,350 stores across Canada. That's alot for a population of around 30 million.

There are 228 locations in the US - which is more than I thought.

The first store opened in my hometown Hamilton (yay Hamilton!) in 1964.

I think the key for Timmy's success is their coffee. People go out of their way for a TH coffee. I'm not much of a coffee drinker, and I find it very good.

As for donuts, I'll take a TH donut over a KK donut any day of the week. KK donuts are extremely sweet, leaves a bad aftertaste and just plain disgusting.

Adam.Heckman

Second Unit
Jeff, thanks for the info. That's the DD that I freqent on the weekends. Didn't see the plaque I guess.
And oddly Quincy isn't the only residence that's been mentioned at this thread. I lived in Kent too, Vince.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Dunkin Donuts has not been the same since almost every store eliminated the actual Dunkin Donut from their daily offerings. This is the donut with a handle for easy dipping in your coffee (or beer in Ron's case).

They are still pretty big in the Philadelphia area with stores througout the city and the suburbs. Their coffee generally kicks the Starbuck's regular blend's ass, and costs half the price.

J

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
I have tried, but as far as I know, there's only one WD left in my area code. I remember CHP (that's California Highway Patrol) officers used to sit inside my local WD for hours on end doing their paperwork. Now, they just hang out at Starbucks. As for KK, in my area at least, they are popping up mostly across the freeway from the local CHP stations. And KK also truck in donuts to our local supermarkets. Just in case we can't be there at KK's parking lot when the "Hot Inside" neon sign light up at 10pm every night.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

Small world. In your time here did you ever visit the Dunkin Donuts of which i spoke (on West Main, near stow, out at the car dealship strip)?? Very very foul.

-V

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member

That's nice, but it doesn't mean they taste better than Dunkin or the other countless local bakeries' batches. There are a lot of "fresh" things that don't "taste great."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks