What's new

Dunkin Donuts - An American Tragedy (1 Viewer)

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Adam,

The original is in Super Stop & Shop Plaza on the Artery, to the left of CVS, right at the fork in the road. Up until a few years ago it was unremodeled and looked the same as it did in the 50's. It has since been updated and after the remodel they hung a plaque inside that denotes it's roots.

Edit: Whoops, the CVS is not there any more, just a bigger S&S and the Dunkies.

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
Yes, sad to see old dunkin' donuts go down hill. Here in Houston a number of them have closed over the years. We do have alot of Shipley's Donuts Shop around, not sure if they are just local or all over. Maybe someone can inform me on them. They are good donuts:) by the way!

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
Out here in the sticks we don't have either DD or KK...and Lord, I would KILL for some of DD's glazed chocolate donut holes!

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member

Yup once one moves in look out they spread like weeds:) That said they do make some very tasty donuts and apparently their coffee is fantasic (I'm a tea drinker)

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
In Kent, Ohio we had one Dunkin Donuts, owned by a middle eastern family who lived in the store-- a family of 3 or 4, all lived in a small storage space off to the side of the counter. They had strapped a giant obnoxious BELL thing to the door handle with yards of twine and kite string so that when you came in the store it sounded like milk cows cming back from pasture...

I didn't go there much, but I do recall a time i was there and made a stop in the restroom...

It was the most unpleasant experience of my life- the bathroom was unusually humid and the stench of urine was so overpowering I became lightheaded. With the weird climate change and overpowering smell- as you entered the room you could literally "feel" the transition- like wading into a swimmingpool.

Now, I have been around some nasty bathrooms in my day (as a kid I grew up at drag racing tracks which all seemed to have "outhouse" style public bathrooms with the giant tub-style urine troughs)... but nothing held a candle to the FEELING of wading into that space-- i honstly think of it everytime I see something like stargate, where they are passing through and entryway that has a liquidy texture- my eyes watered and i nearly threw up.

Needless to say i didn't eat the donuts (In fact, if anyone ever saw the Seinfeld episode with the Applepie/Poppy's Duck scenario- I honestly think they took that "i wont eat that" gesture from me-- I did the exact same thing when friends would pass Dunkin Donuts my way).

Eventually the Dunkin Donuts went out of business--- to be honest (and not to dawn an old cliche but...) the last few years their business seemed to primarily be from the kent Police department. If I were a cop, you couldn't pay me to go near a donut shop while in uniform, just t avoid the jokes--- but the Kent cops would go there all the time (although to be fair it was one of the only places open late with decent coffee). I actually once saw a cop, stuck at a stoplight, flip on his lights so he could not wait at the intersection-- only to immediately shut them back off and pull into Dunkin Donuts!

Alas, that old weird donut shop is now a small used car lot...

-V

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
It just isn't Dunkin' Donuts. Krispy Kreme isn't faring all that well either.

I guess the fad has subsided dramatically and the Atkins/South Beach/Moscov diets et al have made their dents.

I know after my rush of about 20 dozen in several months a couple of years ago, the luster wore off for me. However, I've never had Tib Hoton's, so I'm willing to cast aside the self-imposed exile for a taste.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I don't often eat donuts anymore--but Mustang Donuts across the street from SMU (and within walking distance of home) is the real deal.

I drive right past KK next to my primary grocery store and don’t get out.

No one makes them like the Mom and Pop stores.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Stinky bathrooms are always one thing that make sure I will never repatronage a restaurant.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Yeah, the pungent odor of urine leaves the most lasting impression. If it's the only bathroom in the restaurant, my mind then plays bad tricks about the staff.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis

Wasn't he a big issue in the 1988 presidential campaign?

Around here I only recall one Dunkin Donuts, and about a year ago it turned into an independent.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Back in the day, DD make some formidable donuts. Haven't had one (or any donut, for that matter) in years.

My wife, however, still swears by their coffee beans, and prefers them to any of the gourmet or otherwise trendy coffee beans she's tried.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

:laugh:

I think Tim Horton's and Labatts are the top two advertisers on CBC's Hockey Night In Canada, too -- well, you probably also have to throw in Canadian Tire.

Around here Tim Horton's is taking over stores that were other fast food places -- Hardee's and Little Caesar's Pizza are two that come to mind near where I live or work.

Users who are viewing this thread