What's new

Dune: Part Two (2024) (2 Viewers)

Wes Candela

Visual Storytelling Enthusiast
Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
Huh?

It's already at $581 million worldwide as of now and counting.

From The Numbers:

View attachment 217960
Oh good!!
I was afraid it was just gonna top off at 500 mil.
after seeing it, I swore it was the second coming

Hope it would earn $1 billion.
I no longer think it will

Wes Candela

Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
I wouldn't judge it against a billion dollar metric because it doesn't have to make that much in order to be successful on a $190 million budget.
Yeah, it was just hope and respect for the film which I thought was one of the best Science Fiction films I’ve seen in the last 10 years maybe 20
I think of parts one and two as one film now.
it is a sag
let’s see it’s still got a little ways to go. I’m crossing my fingers for 750, million worldwide.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Yeah, it was just hope and respect for the film which I thought was one of the best Science Fiction films I’ve seen in the last 10 years maybe 20
I agree with you about the quality of the film. But we're not talking about an escapist fantasy here. Dune is challenging, thoughtful, heady sci-fi. Given its heavy content, I think it is really impressive that it is doing as well as it is.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
unless it's still showing on a premium screen over here a month from now perhaps... :P
The upcoming summer blockbusters will probably have something to say about that.

However, it wouldn't surprise me if there was a re-release in premium formats near the end of the year or early next timed to awards season voting. WB will want to remind voters of the movie closer to when they are filling out their ballots.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
The upcoming summer blockbusters will probably have something to say about that.

However, it wouldn't surprise me if there was a re-release in premium formats near the end of the year or early next timed to awards season voting. WB will want to remind voters of the movie closer to when they are filling out their ballots.

Well, I'd love it if they re-release both Dune 1 and 2 for a week or so in IMAX at year's end or thereabout for awards season...

_Man_

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'd love it if they re-release both Dune 1 and 2 for a week or so
If their goal is awards, I don't think re-releasing Part One would make any difference. Part One has already had its awards season run. It made sense for Part One to go out again for a week in February because they were trying to promote Part Two. If there is any kind of re-release next year for awards purposes, I think it would most likely be Part Two by itself because that is the one under awards consideration for next year.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
If their goal is awards, I don't think re-releasing Part One would make any difference. Part One has already had its awards season run. It made sense for Part One to go out again for a week in February because they were trying to promote Part Two. If there is any kind of re-release next year for awards purposes, I think it would most likely be Part Two by itself because that is the one under awards consideration for next year.

Shhhh... Let me dream a little, heh... ;):P

_Man_

Wes Candela

Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
I think of parts one and two as one film now.
it is a sag
let’s see it’s still got a little ways to go. I’m crossing my fingers for 750, million worldwide.
Agreed.

Wes Candela

Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
Did you mean to quote your own post just to agree with it? Or did you mean to posting something further?
Too funny.
no I meant to agree with you on the dense storyline of Dune and being proud of its box office take considering.
agree with you about the quality of the film. But we're not talking about an escapist fantasy here. Dune is challenging, thoughtful, heady sci-fi. Given its heavy content, I think it is really impressive that it is doing as well as it is

(3am...)

Wes Candela

Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
We did it! @Wes Candela

We drove to Regina on Monday to catch the 8:50pm show.

The journey itself was an adventure. Our first time using an electric vehicle on a road trip, and it turns out that we had to basically stop every hour or so to top up the charge! Each stop to charge took around 25-45 minutes, which is not what I had planned for.

We left around 8:20am, with about 7.5 hours actual driving time. But because of all the stops to charge, and other delays that added up (and seemed to conspire against us!), we pushed it right down to the wire and got to the IMAX theatre at 8:47pm!! It was touch and go whether we would make it as the hours piled up during the afternoon.

The movie itself was great (for the 2nd time). The pacing was more balanced than the first film, with the action scenes and visual splendors perfectly blended with the dialogue and exposition (whereas the first half of Part 1 was mostly exposition and world building). The sound didn’t seem as visceral as the show I saw in Toronto, but that could just be my fuzzy audio memory. The presentation was still excellent, though because it was just shot digitally, the resolution wasn’t as good as a film shot in 15/70mm (like Oppenheimer).

I will say there are a lot of facial close-ups, as well as other dialogue scenes, in 1.43:1. Probably not the best use of the expanded ratio. And because most of the film is in 1.9:1, it’s already a pretty big frame that fills much of the screen. But when it expands to 1.43:1, it is still very noticeable. And the worm ride, the arena scene, and the end battle are still awe-inspiring in 1.43:1.

And as for my son? He said it was amazing, with the last 45 min some of the best stuff he’s ever seen. Well worth the road trip.
Brother @Joe Wong !
my buddy wrote me this morning asking me where the best IMAX was out here on Long Island, NY to catch DP2
1711718797770.gif

Because the kids are off from school today...he cannot find any last-minute seats at Lincoln Center.

so I was telling him your story ha
About the first trip via plane and the second trip with your son and the electric car 🚗 and having to stop every 45 minutes to charge her up.

but he's still not sure if he wants to hold out for Lincoln Center or settle.
It's just hard with children to get the time, but he loved your gumption!!

✊🏼✊🏼✊🏼👍👍👍

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Brother @Joe Wong !
my buddy wrote me this morning asking me where the best IMAX was out here on Long Island, NY to catch DP2 View attachment 217999
Because the kids are off from school today...he cannot find any last-minute seats at Lincoln Center.

so I was telling him your story ha
About the first trip via plane and the second trip with your son and the electric car 🚗 and having to stop every 45 minutes to charge her up.

but he's still not sure if he wants to hold out for Lincoln Center or settle.
It's just hard with children to get the time, but he loved your gumption!!

✊🏼✊🏼✊🏼👍👍👍

I feel for your friend, my brother!

In a way, I’m glad (though not surprised) that the IMAX run (especially those with 15/70mm or dual laser) has been so successful. Even the local IMAX here in Calgary (a much smaller city compared to the NYC area) has extended their Dune Part 2 run; rather than ceding completely to Ghostbusters over the last week, it’s sharing the IMAX screen. And it’s actually been given the evening sessions, vs Ghostbusters earlier in the day. And those evening sessions are about 60% sold out! Whereas GB has only sold a handful of tickets.

Hopefully the success of Oppenheimer and now Dune Part 2 will lead to a re-release of Nolan’s Interstellar (in IMAX 15/70mm) for its 10th anniversary this year. That remains the greatest IMAX 1.43:1 experience I’ve ever had!

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Hopefully the success of Oppenheimer and now Dune Part 2 will lead to a re-release of Nolan’s Interstellar (in IMAX 15/70mm) for its 10th anniversary this year.
Nope. Interstellar came out later in the same year after I graduated college. That can't possibly be that old yet. That makes me feel old. ;) :laugh:

Incidentally, I think Interstellar was the first time I ever saw Timothée Chalamet, although of course I didn't recognize his significance at the time. He played Tom, McConaughey's son, although the movie gave much more emphasis and screen time to Cooper's relationship with his daughter, Murph. Through no fault of Chalamet's, Tom feels sort of like the forgotten character in that movie.

On another note, I watched Dune Part One again today for the first time since seeing Part Two. Because I had no exposure to other versions of Dune, this was my first time seeing Part One knowing how the end of the story plays out in Part Two. Some scenes in Part One certainly play a bit differently now that I know the whole.

Last edited:

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Nope. Interstellar came out later in the same year after I graduated college. That can't possibly be that old yet. That makes me feel old. ;) :laugh:

Incidentally, I think Interstellar was the first time I ever saw Timothée Chalamet, although of course I didn't recognize his significance at the time. He played Tom, McConaughey's son, although the movie gave much more emphasis and screen time to Cooper's relationship with his daughter, Murph. Through no fault of Chalamet's, Tom feels sort of like the forgotten character in that movie.

I saw Interstellar when it was released in Nov 2014 at the Regal Hacienda in Dublin, CA. I remember it well, as the tidal wave in IMAX 15/70mm was one of the most amazing cinematic moments I’ve ever experienced!

On my most recent rewatch (in 2022), with my sons watching the film for the first time, we all noticed that Chalamet was playing the son. I hadn’t noticed it originally because Chalamet wasn’t well-known back in 2014.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
On my most recent rewatch (in 2022), with my sons watching the film for the first time, we all noticed that Chalamet was playing the son. I hadn’t noticed it originally because Chalamet wasn’t well-known back in 2014.
I think that is a credit to how great Chalamet is and how far his talent and hard work has taken him in the last decade since Interstellar came out. Although he is as good in Interstellar as his smaller role allows him to be, it is not necessarily written to make a big impression, particularly in comparison to Murph. But Interstellar got his foot in the door on a big production, and he has certainly been able to build on that initial opportunity in the years since in a big way.

Last edited:

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
I think that is a credit to how great Chalamet is and how far his talent and hard work has taken him in the last decade since Interstellar came out. Although he is as good in Interstellar as his smaller role allows him to be, it is not necessarily written to make a big impression, particularly in comparison to Murph. But Interstellar got his foot in the door on a big production, and he has certainly been able to build on that initial opportunity in the years since in a big way.

Plus Casey Affleck took over the character for the second half of the film, which made Chalamet even less noticeable.

But with films like Wonka and now Dune parts 1 and 2, he’s certainly hit it big. Full credit to him.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
But with films like Wonka and now Dune parts 1 and 2, he’s certainly hit it big. Full credit to him.
We shouldn't forget highly acclaimed and successful films like Lady Bird, Little Women, Call Me By Your Name and The French Dispatch, etc. He has worked consistently and often surrounded himself with great filmmakers. He has further developed his skills while contributing to some of the finest films of the last decade. The success of Dune and Wonka have taken him to another level of tentpole stardom, but he got there because he spent the last ten years working hard and making interesting choices. Of course, it probably also helps that Dune and Willy Wonka are already established culturally. But he carefully honed the skills he needed to lead them by working his way up to them. That is really impressive.

On another note, I masked up and saw Dune Part Two today for the third time. It is only the second movie I've seen three times in theaters since the advent of Covid in 2020. I've already written a lot about what I think of the movie so don't feel the need to be repetitive. My opinion on the merits of the film didn't change. But it was perhaps even more tragic to watch Part One (at home) and Part Two (in theaters) already knowing how Part Two would end. This viewing really highlighted the tragedy of Paul's arc for me. Of course, this isn't a new revelation on a third viewing, but is really remarkable and sad to watch how he evolves over the course of the two films. Chalamet's performance has a lot to do with that.

There were +/- 50 people there this time, far less than the previous times I saw it but still a pretty good turnout considering the movie is about a month old now. Naturally, the buzz wasn't quite as electric as opening night, but people were still into it. I could hear some gasps and people whispering to each other, so at least some seemed to be there for their first viewing. One guy in the row in front of me whispered briefly to the woman he was with who didn't understand what was going on with Feyd-Rautha and the pain box. That reminded me of my earlier comment that this movie assumes you know what is going on there because of having seen Part One already. I couldn't tell if the woman was actually coming into Part Two cold or if she had seen Part One before and forgot. But I thought it was funny they were basically illustrating my previous point. I think most people came out liking it today, but I was the only one who clapped at the end.

Last edited:

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
My wife and I finally had a chance to get out to see this today. Unfortunately, it's past its IMAX showings by now, but them's the breaks. We both loved it as much as expected.

The only oddity that stuck out for me was that, in the two films together, there was nothing of note regarding the Guild Navigators. I mean, I can see that as an element of the story that seems like it can be left out to keep the movie going at a brisk enough pace. But it renders essentially meaningless Paul's threat to the Great Houses that if they don't play nice, he'll blow up all the spice fields. If there was no more spice, interstellar travel would crumble.

I also found it amusing that I was right a month and a half ago about Anya Taylor-Joy's cameo...

So they keep her being in the movie a secret for like two years just so they can announce it two weeks before the movie opens?
The only thing that makes sense to me in this regard is if she plays someone significant that no one would expect. Which suggests to me that she appears in scenes that foreshadow events from Dune Messiah, playing
the grown up Alia, Paul's (younger) sister

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks