1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Dune (Movie ver.) vs. Dune (mini-series)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by todd s, Nov 13, 2002.

1. Nick_Scott

Nick_Scott Second Unit

I have a question-

I loved the Lynch Dune, but I can understand why some people did not like it... Kinda like "The Shining". Its a pretty good movie when NOT compared to the book. Anyway...

But why is DUNE always on every list of "10 worst movies of all time"???

I can understand "Ishtar" and maybe "Waterworld".... but "Dune"?

2. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

Counting me in as a fan of the miniseries over the Lynch film. The former is an overall successful adaptation of the book. The latter is utter blasphemy that was boring besides.

3. Randall Dorr

Randall Dorr Second Unit

Yee-Ming

4. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Another couple of things. The actress who played Jessica in the mini-series reminded me of Marina Sirtis. I thought it was her sister. Also, if the Navigators need spice to make the trip through space. What did they do before Arakis was found and how did they get there?

5. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

sublight vehicles, took years/centuries

6. Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger Screenwriter

Lynch's version is extremely flawed but I have to say that I love it. The miniseries just didn't do anything for me. I really didn't like the "stage" look that they apparently were going for. To me, Dune needs to feel epic and that is one thing that Lynch nailed and the miniseries wholly was unable to do.

7. Matthew_Millheiser

Matthew_Millheiser Supporting Actor

Query: did the freedom fighters of the Butlerian Jihad wore an onion in their belt? Because that was the style at the time.... [​IMG]

8. RayG

RayG Stunt Coordinator

I love both cuts of the Lynch's version that are available, and hope we will see a defintive version someday (though of course we won't). Also I can't get enough of Brian Eno's Prophecy Theme.

9. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    Randall:

where does the timeline come from? fascinating stuff, but I don't remember any references in Dune that tie back to our own calendar (save for the 10,191 figure itself). and it's been ages since I read any of the other books.

10. Dan Lindley

Dan Lindley Second Unit

Randall,

I thank you for this:

"Those are severely mutated humans. Guild Navigators eat, sleep and breath melange. That's what they look like as a result."

Altho, that is a really scary thought... Slip into a dreamy state and wonder what would happen if all someone ate was french fries and all they drank was beer... Presto, a navigator!

But another serious question: they must have evolved over generations, yes? And why don't the Fremen look like that? And what of Paul?

Thanks, Dan

11. Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger Screenwriter

Dan,

I think the Guild hypersaturate people far beyond any level of natural ingestion, even at the level of a Fremen, to induce the mutation into Navigators.

12. Randall Dorr

Randall Dorr Second Unit

Matthew_Millheiser

13. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    Randall

thanks for that clarification. I had seen the Encyclopedia in shops once, way back in the early/mid-80s, before I'd read the Dune books. shortly thereafter, the Lynch movie came out and I watched it, before having read the book. (by then, the Encyclopedia could no longer be found -- out of print by then, I guess -- after 1986 or so?)

to say I was confused is an understatement. but a subsequent reading of the book clarified things. I have to say that Lynch's movie is a triumph in production design, casting in some respects, and in bringing to life some of the set pieces, even though overall it does not do the book justice. but what production ever can or will?

14. Randall Dorr

Randall Dorr Second Unit

15. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

I'm certain that Jodorowsky's version would have alienated the DUNE purists even more than Lynch's.... but I would have loved to have seen it!

If you want some more info on this, rent/buy the DVD of Jodorowsky's first film, "Fando y Lis", and check out the pertinent chapter in the feature length documentary that's included. (BTW, Pink Floyd was envisioned as providing the soundtrack.)

16. Peter Mazur

Peter Mazur Second Unit

Randall,

Arrakis may contain a north pole, but this is not where they are in the final scene of the movie. It is just a ridiculous moment.

17. Matthew_Millheiser

Matthew_Millheiser Supporting Actor

According to the Dune prequels (House Atreides/Harkonnen/Corrino), the Navigators are humans mutated by the spice.

BTW if you haven't read them they are definitely worth the endeavor. Of course, they can't touch Brian Herbert's original novel, but they're much more enjoyable than the sequels. Not classics, but definitely fun reads.

Hell, the prequels are more addictive than sniffing melange off of Halle Berry's abdomen!! Well...

18. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman

19. Randall Dorr

Randall Dorr Second Unit

Here's the introduction to Eye.
    Eye is worth picking up for for The Road to Dune, a "walking tour" of Arrakeen with brief description of significant places and persons, and illustrations by Jim Burns.